HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
ok

Those don't have built-in navigation and wireless aa those were the terms... Px6 does. Kenwood does at 1k + dash kit all to look like a a handme down car from the 90s
The navigation is part of AA. If you have an Android phone that supports AA, you have Google Maps. The exact same thing the POS PX6 uses. I have it in my car right now. I have a hard time believing you're not just trolling.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The navigation is part of AA. If you have an Android phone that supports AA, you have Google Maps. The exact same thing the POS PX6 uses. I have it in my car right now. I have a hard time believing you're not just trolling.
So what if you don't have your phone?

Do they have offline maps and their own GPS receiver?

Can you still use your original voice activated Sync system with the button on the steering wheel?

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So what if you don't have your phone?

Do they have offline maps and their own GPS receiver?

Can you still use your original voice activated Sync system with the button on the steering wheel?
No, it replaces Sync with the Google Assistant and you don't even have to press a button, you just say "Hey Google."

Mine has a GPS antenna with it, but I've never been without my phone, and since you need an Android device to use AA, I'll assume it doesn't have offline Navigation.

You seem dead set on trying to find a way you can feel like you're "right" here, and if you think buying a head unit with no warranty, no support, security issues, reliability issues, outdated hardware and software based on the premise of "You know, in case I forget my phone," then by all means, go for it. I mean, you like it, and that definitely makes you much more qualified than someone who has literally reverse engineered it.

I will also leave this tidbit of info, every bit of information you put into that device is absolutely going to China. Monitor the network traffic when connected to your home router.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No, it replaces Sync with the Google Assistant and you don't even have to press a button, you just say "Hey Google."

Mine has a GPS antenna with it, but I've never been without my phone, and since you need an Android device to use AA, I'll assume it doesn't have offline Navigation.

You seem dead set on trying to find a way you can feel like you're "right" here, and if you think buying a head unit with no warranty, no support, security issues, reliability issues, outdated hardware and software based on the premise of "You know, in case I forget my phone," then by all means, go for it. I mean, you like it, and that definitely makes you much more qualified than someone who has literally reverse engineered it.

I will also leave this tidbit of info, every bit of information you put into that device is absolutely going to China. Monitor the network traffic when connected to your home router.
All of these are made in China. Including yours. Mine has offline maps. No phone needed. If your phone is made in China, then it's a good bet your phone data ends up there as well. Pretty much everything made in China and that uses Google ends up in China, one way or another.
Also, I never use the wifi, unless I update Maps. Sometimes I use my phone wifi as a Hotspot to check TV news. Very rarely. If the commies want to know I watch Fox News, then whatever.
Besides, I do like Sync for playing music. Works great. I just tell it what album to play, and it finds it on my USB.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
All of these are made in China. Including yours. Mine has offline maps. If your phone is made in China, then it's a good bet your phone data ends up there as well. Pretty much everything Google ends up in China, one way or another.
Also, I never use the wifi, unless I update Maps. Sometimes I use my phone wifi as a Hotspot to check TV news. Very rarely. If the commies want to know I watch Fox News, then whatever.
Besides, I do like Sync for playing music. Works great. I just tell it what album to play, and it finds it on my USB.
The point isn't that it's "Made in China." The lack of quality control is the big point of difference.
(My phone isn't Chinese though.)

There's also a difference in the data my phone leaks, and what is built in to the PX6 units DELIBERATELY to steal data. As a Cybersecurity Consultant for the DoD, I kinda do my homework.

I use Spotify 99% of the time on my head unit, and having the hands free texting, and FB messenger comes in very handy for me.

Did I mention warranty and US based support?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The point isn't that it's "Made in China." The lack of quality control is the big point of difference.
(My phone isn't Chinese though.)

There's also a difference in the data my phone leaks, and what is built in to the PX6 units DELIBERATELY to steal data. As a Cybersecurity Consultant for the DoD, I kinda do my homework.

I use Spotify 99% of the time on my head unit, and having the hands free texting, and FB messenger comes in very handy for me.

Did I mention warranty and US based support?
All this stuff is made in China. There's only about 8 phones on the entire market NOT made in China. A few Samsungs and one Sony I believe. That's about it.

And if you use Google for anything, it ends up in China.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
All this stuff is made in China. There's only about 8 phones on the entire market NOT made in China. A few Samsungs and one Sony I believe. That's about it.

And if you use Google for anything, it ends up in China.
Mine is made in Korea, but this isn't about phones, it's about the head unit.

...also, China blocked Google COMPLETELY years ago, which is why the Play Store wasn't native to the first few iterations of the head units. Whatever drug deal they have going on now is pretty irrelevant to the topic at hand. There's a difference in factual data mining that is embedded into the PX6 unit, and marketing/advertising data sold to 3rd parties on my phone.

We can argue semantics via evasion for days, and I'll continue to share factual data over speculative ad hominem, with a hint an occasional jab of snark.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So, being made in China, what is the issue then?

I'm sure your head unit is made in China though. Especially everything Kenwood.
I'm not really sure what the concern is. If they see me update Maps, how is that a security issue? I don't save any driving data. I do agree China mines data, but so does everyone else.
What does bother me is the Huawei Co trying to garner all 5G tech in our neighbors Canada and now the UK.

Besides, how do I know if they are mining everything on my head unit?

The only way to guarantee no one is mining your data is put in a radio with no GPS, BT, or WiFi capability. Then, get rid of your cell phone.

I wonder if Mozilla will ever write an OS? They are about as private as you can get.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So, being made in China, what is the issue then?

I'm sure your head unit is made in China though. Especially everything Kenwood.
I'm not really sure what the concern is. If they see me update Maps, how is that a security issue? I don't save any driving data. I do agree China mines data, but so does everyone else.
What does bother me is the Huawei Co trying to garner all 5G tech in our neighbors Canada and now the UK.

Besides, how do I know if they are mining everything on my head unit?

The only way to guarantee no one is mining your data is put in a radio with no GPS, BT, or WiFi capability. Then, get rid of your cell phone.

I wonder if Mozilla will ever write an OS? They are about as private as you can get.

Issues with PX6:

1. Outdated and poor quality hardware.
2. Shoddy programming.
3. Lack of support.
4. No warranty.
5. Clearly encoded data theft.

Also, "Made in China" is a broad statement. There are many different districts, and Shenzhen, is essentially the trailer park of haphazard technology and leftovers. That's where these Android head units are coming from.
My head unit is made in China as well, but it's from a long-running and established factory, with a US branch.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Issues with PX6:

1. Outdated and poor quality hardware.
2. Shoddy programming.
3. Lack of support.
4. No warranty.
5. Clearly encoded data theft.

Also, "Made in China" is a broad statement. There are many different districts, and Shenzhen, is essentially the trailer park of haphazard technology and leftovers. That's where these Android head units are coming from.
My head unit is made in China as well, but it's from a long-running and established factory, with a US branch.
Yep, I do have a few issues. However, most of it has to do with the programming that tries to use the original Sync system. Everything else seems fine.

Btw, how do I find out if this particular unit was made in Shenzhen? It said when I purchased, it was shipped form the factory in Hong Kong, not Shenzhen. And I have to admit, this particular head unit is sold nowhere else. Not on Ebay, or anywhere. Only Phoenix sells this one, and it ships from Hong Kong. So, how do I find out if it was made in some pirated sweat factory on the mainland?

Sponsored

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I do have a few issues. However, most of it has to do with the programming that tries to use the original Sync system. Everything else seems fine.

Btw, how do I find out if this particular unit was made in Shenzhen? It said when I purchased, it was shipped form the factory in Hong Kong, not Shenzhen. And I have to admit, this particular head unit is sold nowhere else. Not on Ebay, or anywhere. Only Phoenix sells this one, and it ships from Hong Kong. So, how do I find out if it was made in some pirated sweat factory on the mainland?

It's definitely not a Mustang-specific head unit, and it's absolutely a sweatshop radio. Hell, iPhones are made in sweatshops. If you wanted to confirm where it's made, you could always contact their Service Department...

...oh, wait.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's definitely not a Mustang-specific head unit, and it's absolutely a sweatshop radio. Hell, iPhones are made in sweatshops. If you wanted to confirm where it's made, you could always contact their Service Department...

...oh, wait.
I'm not really sure what you mean by Mustang specific. The guts are obviously used in many different models for different cars. That would make sense to have some internal modularity. Screen size, RAM, and so forth. However, the entire face, and all the framing and back plates won't fit in other vehicles. So, being a universal Android unit, how could it be only Mustang specific? Isn't that kind of the point?

And like I said, I am disappointed in one aspect of the programming I really wanted, which is the Sync software. Outside of that, the Android Auto and other software is great.
I just have to find out if these issues will ever have a fix.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update: For all those who have complained about losing Outside Ambient Air Temperature (including me), it is available to be read by the Torque Lite OBDII App available for free on Google Play. I got the OBDII "vertical screen" reader from Phoenix when I purchased the head unit, and finally got around to installing it. It works very well, and I find myself using it quite often when driving. Especially since the screen is not as bright as having the radio software glaring in my eyes with bright blue at night.
The App itself is very simple to use, only takes up about 5MB of memory, and loads very fast when you start it. All data pops right up within seconds of starting the car. It's quite good for being a free app.
About the only downside, is I have to manually start the App when starting the car to bring it up. So, to make that easier, I programmed the custom app launch button next to the radio icon to start Torque Lite. Hmmmm.....If only I could get the head unit to start this app automatically on startup.

DSC_0468.JPG

Last edited:

Guzmans5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Update: For all those who have complained about losing Outside Ambient Air Temperature (including me), it is available to be read by the Torque Lite OBDII App available for free on Google Play. I got the OBDII "vertical screen" reader from Phoenix when I purchased the head unit, and finally got around to installing it. It works very well, and I find myself using it quite often when driving. Especially since the screen is not as bright as having the radio software glaring in my eyes with bright blue at night.
The App itself is very simple to use, only takes up about 5MB of memory, and loads very fast when you start it. All data pops right up within seconds of starting the car. It's quite good for being a free app.
About the only downside, is I have to manually start the App when starting the car to bring it up. So, to make that easier, I programmed the custom app launch button next to the radio icon to start Torque Lite. Hmmmm.....If only I could get the head unit to start this app automatically on startup.

DSC_0468.JPG
Welp you are helping me move forward with this purchase lol

Remy_reign

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
REMY
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT Base
Very interested as well, well in the 10.2 model. Just like the look and as long as it starts up plays music and GPS functions. I'm good.
Sponsored