Perceptions of Middle-age Men in Mustangs

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Mid life crisis? I started my crisis when I was 17 with a 97 Firebird Formula. I'm 37 today.
Sponsored

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I’m 77, have a New Edge GT as well as the 15 GT.
I just tell them I borrowed my Grandsons Mustang!

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Meanwhile I'm looking at picking up a low milage 1990 Miata as I'm more in the mood for a light weight, lower power corner tosser lately.
Oh man, I wouldn't do that. Pricing on a low mileage NA will be outrageous. Get a NB or early year ND instead. Both are better cars for way better value. Of course that comes with the caveat that I wouldn't buy anything used right now as prices are obscene. I'd wait a year for a toy like that.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
"I love it when females I know toss out hints about how they perceive middle-aged men in Mustangs/Camaros/etc. Like we're all lecherous mid-life crisis victims cruising bars for women 1/2 our age, trying to re-live our youth.
ALL that goes out the window the moment said females find out how much that Mustang cost. Tell em you spent $100k on a car and their eyes light up in dollar signs and their minds explode. You go from creep to sugar daddy material in an instant.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I'm 40 and at mid life but if I ever have a Midlife "Crisis" and I buy a car to scratch an unrealistic itch, you better believe it's going to be something a hell of a lot nicer than an American $20K V8 car, lol. This is a lifestyle or heirloom car not a crisis car.
Damm effin right. My retirement bonus will be me and wife flying to UK to custom order a Aston Martin. Then on to to Germany to visit the AMG site before ordering an S-class convertible for her, she always loved them or an AMG GT.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Oh man, I wouldn't do that. Pricing on a low mileage NA will be outrageous. Get a NB or early year ND instead. Both are better cars for way better value. Of course that comes with the caveat that I wouldn't buy anything used right now as prices are obscene. I'd wait a year for a toy like that.
1990 56k on it great shape, immaculate interior with the hardtop and cart stand for it, 11k right now by me in red. Only mods look to be a set of plug wires and a changed-out radio for a CD player, (stock radio is included)

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
In the early 70's, I had a 70 Challenger. Girls were intimidated by it, but I loved it and didn't care. I didn't buy the car for them anyway.
In the mid to late 80's I had a Z28 with a T-top. It was a slut magnet, but that was just an additional perk. I didn't buy the car for them anyway.
In 2013, I bought my first Mustang GT. Wife didn't like it until she rode in it, then she loved it, except for a few complaints.
2019 I traded for my Mustang GT PP2 to take care of her and my few complaints. At first she hated the idea; I could see fire in her eyes, and seam from her ears. Then she rode in it. When our finances got a little tight, and I said I was going to sell the Mustang, she begged me not to.
For years I drove police cars. Some were dogs, some were okay, but a few were actually fun to drive, and I love to drive, especially fun cars.
I've owned trucks instead of cars because I needed a truck. Police cars were fun, but not real fun to drive. The Challenger, Z28, and Mustangs were/are fun to drive, and it just so happens that the woman that matters the most, loves my Mustang GT PP2 too.
I don't care what other women think of me and my Mustang.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
1990 56k on it great shape, immaculate interior with the hardtop and cart stand for it, 11k right now by me in red. Only mods look to be a set of plug wires and a changed-out radio for a CD player, (stock radio is included)
In the grand scheme of things, $11k for a car isn't a lot of money, but that is more than I would want to spend on that car? A quick search on autotrader shows a bunch of NB and NC cars with less mileage for a similar/lower prices, even accounting for pandemic prices.

But I get it, you probably have your heart set on a NA for styling reasons, so get what you want to get. To me, the later generations are still plenty attractive while offering a much better performance to dollar ratio.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have not noticed this at all, I just turned 40 and girls are interacting with me way more when i'm driving my mustang and my gf is not with me lol. People that want to complain about other people's possessions I wouldn't call haters because I hate that word but they are often bitter and hate their life. I'm sure most of you know those type of people who do nothing but complain about their problems or situation meanwhile not doing anything to correct it. They will have 100 reasons why they hate your car while they're driving a 1994 geo metro 🙄

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, I think stereotypes are regional and shift over time.

I always thought a Mustang was what 'kids' drove. Cheap accessible muscle car.

I've always been into performance cars, and have always had a performance oriented 'coupe' or 2 door as a fun car. Even when a teenager I had 2-3 cars at a time.

From a Buick Skylark and 442's in High School and college, to modified Saab 900Turbos and GTI's in my 20's when I autocrossed, to an M3 in my 30's, and Classic Porsche in my 40's.

I had my M3 for 20 years, and the Porsche was a lifetime goal and dream car, will be left to one of my kids/grandkids.

I loved the BMW, but at 23 years and 150K it was breaking my wallet. The final straw was the cracked intake manifold and failure/problems with the ABS system. I miss it sometimes, but as I approach retirement I wanted something I wouldn't have to wrench on all the time, and had modern conveniences.

So, in mid 2019 I started my search for my next fun fair weather performance car. I drove every performance 2 door, and even some 4 doors to compare and decide.

I wanted a car that had the performance, comfort, ease and cost of service and ownership.

For a while, I was hooked on the F Type, but after extended test drives of the 3 platforms (4, 6 8 cyl) the car only appealed in concept. It fell short in the driving experience. Plus I was less than enthused with the company's corporate ownership situation.

Then I was on to all the other Euro Options. M3, M4, M2. All nice, but long term cost of ownership and ability to work on ruled them out. Same with the Aston martins, Alpha Romeo Gulia, Mercedes AMG models, and the Japanese models just don't appeal. I also drove all the P cars. Cayman GTS was amazing, and the 911 Base Carrera or Targa were my #1 favorite. I could have easily afforded them, but just didn't seem responsible use of my $$ if I could find what I wanted for my 'target' of $50K. Why spend $120K+???

For the Americans, I strongly considered a C7, but was too gimicky. The Camaro was a GREAT drive, but fell flat on its face for looks and design. PLUS, how could I buy a car from the Company that killed my favorite brands. Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab (UNFORGIVEABLE....lol). REALLY liked the Challenger SRT, Scat Pack, Hellcat, but it was just too big. I did drive the Mustangs, and liked the GT350 but couldn't find any without stripes, and was concerned about the 'hand built' Voodoo motor long term costs. I was NOT a Ford guy at all, never owned or was interested in owning one. I also drove GT's of various configurations. Nice, but no cigar. Never thought seriously about one, so little research.

Then there was the Supra. I really liked it, and I went and test drove one 5X. The last test drive was a demo/dealer car and I took it for the day. At the end of the day, I decided against it for the lack of back seat, terrible gauge layout, and severe buffeting with windows down.

I was about to go back to ground, and look for an M2 COMP, or Cayman GTS when a buddy suggested I go to the Mustang Configurator. I did, and after 3-4 attempts saw the "Bullitt" option. Selected it and liked what I saw, did a dealer search, and found one that had just received 2. A black and green. Went over, and found it checked every block. Price, performance, 4 seats, reliability, cost of long term cost of ownership and ease of maintenance.

19 months and 12k miles later, I like the car more and more.

As for the whole 'hoping for female attention' I've NEVER thought about that with my cars or motorcycles. In fact, as others have said, my cars have always drawn male attention from other car guys. When a girl says 'ooooh nice car' I just laugh and walk away. I had a buddy who used to say "Not today Carrie... Keep your keys in your pocket" bahhaaaa.

This says NOTHING about the totally cool ladies who love and appreciate sports cars. Met a few and totally respect and enjoy their company.

So let the haters hate. fact is MOST mid-aged men who buy a high priced sports car do so because for many it is the first time they can. Kids through college, financially stable and successful, approaching retirement finally have the ability to own a car they've dreamed about. Besides the lounge lizard who thinks the car will score them a chick 1/2 their age will generally get what they deserve. ;-) ;-) ;-)

OK, book mode off.

fact is MOST mid-aged men who buy a high priced sports car do so because for many it is the first time they can. Kids through college, financially stable and successful, approaching retirement finally have the ability to own a car they've dreamed about.

This was me for sure. I am impressed by all of the cars you've owned and your extensive search. If I were to own a GT I would probably go with the Bullitt pkg. I originally owned a 2016 GT, but always wanted the 350. When they came out with the Gen2 motor I decided to pull the trigger. It's been a great car, but I do feel a bit "over the top" at times driving it, especially with the stripes, etc.. It's not stealth for sure... and I am not trying to make a MLC statement at 56...

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Mid life crisis? I started my crisis when I was 17 with a 97 Firebird Formula. I'm 37 today.
You're a man with good taste in cars

1639163496044.jpeg
When I was ready to graduate from college I had two dream cars: a maroon 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 hatchback (didn't like all the fairings on the GT) or a red 1989 Firebird Formula with the 5.0, both with manuals. You could get a 5.7 in the Firebird but only with the automatic. Never was a Camaro guy, lots of IROCs running around back then. Living in Pittsburgh, though, RWD wasn't an option for a daily driver and I sure couldn't afford two cars so I ended up getting a 1990 Eagle Talon AWD, damn what a fun car that was. My first brand new vehicle. $17,500 and mom and dad couldn't believe someone would spend that much money on a car LOL.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I just turned 64, I've owned many cars(25new, another 20+used since 1973), I'm not rich, just worked hard my whole life.
I've owned 7 Camaros, tried to buy a 2017 50th. but the dealer wanted too much.(trading a 2014 300)
When my best friend here in Vegas bought his new '19 Bullitt(he's 55) and let me drive it, I said, WOW what a great car.
I wasn't going to copy him and buy a Bullitt, and I will say I think Mustang GTs fit the guys more in their 20,30 & 40s. When I saw a California Special, I knew it was the car for me, they are rare here in Vegas, and I own the only KONA BLUE here in town(at least I've never seen one in the past two years) Since the GT/CS is cosmetic, I've even personalized mine with nicer wheels and tires, chrome bits here and there and this car has more power than the '72 LS5 Chevelle I had, or the many other muscle cars I owned in the lates '70-'90s.
And it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier to drive- Slow or FAST!

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
I like to pick up girls on the rebound from a disappointing relationship. They're much more in need of solace and they're fairly open to suggestion. And, I use that to fuck them some place very uncomfortable..... Like the back of my mustang.

HolubS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium Plus Coupe in Lightning Blue
I park my 2018 Mustang outside the building where I can see it out the window everytime I get up from my desk. Makes me smile each I stand up and look out the window....

Don't care what other people think, not looking to impress anyone. Bought another Mustang because I liked the 2008 V6 convertible I had before, this one is a much better car!
Sponsored