Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I was just chatting on Face Book (kinda slow at work right now) about how some women I know have rather snide attitudes about older guys with Mustangs.

"I love it when females I know toss out hints about how they perceive middle-aged men in Mustangs/Camaros/etc. Like we're all lecherous mid-life crisis victims cruising bars for women 1/2 our age, trying to re-live our youth.

The easiest way to deflect the non-sense is to mention that such cars attract other dudes virtually exclusively. It takes too long to explain the fun/hobby/relaxation/enjoyment, etc. to people that view cars as nothing more than a necessary evil."

I think that most car-guys experience such silly crap. Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
The point about attracting other guys is very true. I couldn't count the times my car has sparked conversation from other guys...lol

If you want to get noticed by the ladies, ride a motorcycle, or drive a pickup.
I find it too much effort to explain that many car-guys drive what they drive, despite the fact they know there's ignorant negative perceptions about it.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
So we are young and have little money, going to school or working a first job that pays squat. Lucky to have any car much less a nice one. When we hit the 30s and need a sensible 4 door sedan because of family, kids, etc. Still working at a job that allows a decent living but no extravagances. Then we are in our 50s and empty-nesters, finally with the means to buy a car like this and some slack-jaw says something like that? Maybe it's really about how those women are miserable with their own life, and are jealous of older men with their Mustangs.

JCF204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F-350
I agree with Genxer.
I am 47 and about to buy a new mustang, this is a point in my life where I can. And this is the car I want. Who cares what other people think! I have had a 65 and a 69 Stang. I'm excited to get into the new world of Mustangs for the first time. I could buy most any other car that competes with the Mustang. I have looked at other cars and brands, but I am a Mustang guy, always will be.

I already have a grandson, he will get to ride in style with me :sunglasses:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
So we are young and have little money, going to school or working a first job that pays squat. Lucky to have any car much less a nice one. When we hit the 30s and need a sensible 4 door sedan because of family, kids, etc. Still working at a job that allows a decent living but no extravagances. Then we are in our 50s and empty-nesters, finally with the means to buy a car like this and some slack-jaw says something like that? Maybe it's really about how those women are miserable with their own life, and are jealous of older men with their Mustangs.
Here in this thread, it's an interesting topic of conversation. Something to do when bored and talking cars.

But I just can't find the interest or desire to explain being interested in cars to women that have already made up their minds.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I agree with what was mentioned above. Start caring what other people think? That'll lead to saltiness and butthurt. So STOP CARING. Everybody has an opinion about everything these days and I don't care to listen to all that nonsense. The people that matter the most are your close friends and family. Those opinions count(sometimes lol).

Tidbit right here, a lot of women like nice things. They can appreciate a nice car as long as the finances are in order. 9 out of 10 people that love your car will be male, but some females like nice cars so there's always that 1 out of 10.

You can't help you have an expensive hobby. It's what you like to do, people should respect that. Everybody spends their money on something. A woman might like buying purses or jeans or whatever. This is no different than us buying new wheels, struts, headers, etc.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The easiest way to deflect the non-sense is to mention that such cars attract other dudes virtually exclusively.
So the original poster is gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

Honestly, I have plenty of women comment on my car as well, heck for that matter a pretty wide range of demographics. Also, the Mustang doesn't seem as stereotyped into the men-in-a-middle-age-crisis nearly as much as some other [I won't mention] rides.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know that some people may see me and think it's a mid-life crisis or whatever, but it's what I like so I buy it and don't care.

I've had some kind of sporty car most of my life, so it's not like it's new for me. I had a Dodge Daytona Turbo back in the '80s, then a Plymouth Laser RS (basically a Mitsubishi Eclipse), then an '04 Mustang, then a '14 Mustang, and now an '18 Mustang.

Sponsored

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I'm in my mid 40s and I pull ladies in their 20's and I don't have a Mustang yet as it's on order. So if I'm going through a mid-life crisis....I'm having more fun now than I did in my 20s. Experience matters. Helps that Florida has a lot of ladies with daddy issues as well. Hopefully it's not a forum members daughter that I am shuking. LoL

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've had a Mustang since I've been out of college and I've never had a girl ever ask about my car in a level of excitement that would get me in her pants. I've gotten comments about it but more like "I like your car" or "It's a very pretty color" or stuff like that. Generic but just nice decent comments. But it's a newer car and I strive to keep it in good condition (even though I beat it like it owes me money). If anything, I've had girls COMPLAIN about my car more than comment. GT350's and now active exhaust '18's are pretty damn loud to the casual listener. Around my area, most Mustang owners I see seem to be around my age, about mid to early 30's. They've kinda unfortunately become the new '95 Civic though too.

Frankly, who gives a damn though. The Mustang fits my personality. If I wanted to impress a girl, I would have bought a Mercedes. And even still, that's a stretch. Girls really don't get impressed by cars, or at least around my geographical area.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Met my wife at a car show when I drove a lifted truck. Later on met my girlfriend at a Starbucks when I drove a Mustang. The wife likes both.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
Two words - Fuck em

It's like the whole thing where if you have a nice car or truck you must be "compensating for something". Anything a woman doesn't approve of you're compensating for something. It's gotten so bad even the guys are saying it. Really? Is your brain power so weak that you're just regurgitating what the women are saying now too? They're just jealous. Nothing you can say or do is going to defuse anything.

We buy what we like. You get your stupid curtains in the house, I get my stupid car. God forbid you have a constructive hobby.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
When I think of middle aged men mid-life crisis, I think Corvette. Every time.
Lol, exactly what my wife thinks as well....we are both mid to late forties.

I will admit I thought hard about a new 2019 RAM...those are awesome.

If I could justify both I would...but I missed the v8 pony car experience....plus she has the CX-5 if we need more comfort.
Sponsored