Perceptions of Middle-age Men in Mustangs

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thanks to the fact that 50-year-olds in 1970 didn't look like 50-year-olds in 2018, it proves one of two things. A- we're a bit better preserved these days, or B- I'm delusional.
You make 'delusional' sound like a bad thing. :crying:
Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Serious street racing in Australia may see authorities seize your car - and crush it.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Serious street racing in Australia may see authorities seize your car ... & crush it.
When I was growing up in SoCal (back when the earth was still cooling), if you ever got busted for driving recklessly, or excessively fast or street racing, you were taken in (at which time your parents were called to come down & bail your sorry ass out) & your vehicle impounded. So you had a number of financial issues to deal with ... bail, the citation itself (handled on your assigned court date) & the cost of towing & impound fees ($$$ times the number of days in the impound lot). About twenty (20) or so years ago, the state of California decided to utilize the RICO act for these same crimes. This is a law enacted to seize the 'related' assets of a crime. So, instead of just paying the towing charge & impound fees & driving home, you were informed that you can come bid on your car like everyone else at the next county / city / police auction. There were horror stories of guys you had beaten in the street races showing up to either A) be the winning bidder for pennies on the dollar for your (ex) car or B) jacking up the price that you eventually had to pay to get your own car back. Using the RICO act had an immediate effect for the everyday guy out for a good time or maybe win a few dollars on Friday or Saturday night. For the high-dollar racers, getting caught was just the cost of doing business. And any lessening of the street racing scene pretty much went out the window when the 'Fast & Furious' movies came out!!!

TruckandaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 FX 4 2021 Mustang GT
I’m 68, well-past “mid-life” and quite frankly deep into “old-life”. A few years ago several factors came into focus...my passion for the Mustang never waned since that day in April, 1964. Also my family is gone, rarely take friends out so a backseat and four doors are useless. Never carry more than a weeks-worth of groceries in the trunk. Always had a sunroof but on a nice day it never seemed to let in enough of the fresh air and sunshine. So one Sunday morning in February almost two years ago I woke up and realized it was time to jump-start my passion for driving AND the Mustang. Sure, I’m aware when I’m cruising top-down that some may be thinking, “look at that old delusional fool” but when life is short, good health is a gift and dreams slip away, a little delusion is essential and I don’t give a gall-dang what others may think!
Atta boy Bob!

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
I’m 61 working as an IT analyst at a university for most of my adult life showing 18 year olds how to use their computers sooooo? Stereotyping is hard.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I’m 61 working as an IT analyst at a university for most of my adult life showing 18 year olds how to use their computers sooooo? Stereotyping is hard.
I'm 51yo, and built and taught my kids how to use computers since day 1. They still have trouble with the basics. "Dad, the printer doesn't work!"... They don't have any trouble using Instagram on their cell phones though. 🙄

cmcaloose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 50th Anniversary Special Edition
I'm 51yo, and built and taught my kids how to use computers since day 1. They still have trouble with the basics. "Dad, the printer doesn't work!"... They don't have any trouble using Instagram on their cell phones though. 🙄

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm 29 and I've been told by some coworkers that it's my "midlife crisis" car, which I just laugh at every time because of the absurdity of that statement. Like if I can't enjoy it now, when can you?

I honestly think the midlife crisis stereotype is just a jab from people who can't swing the same "frivolous" expenses on things they want, so they have to play it off like it's some immature throwback.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am 46 and blame everything I possibly can on 'midlife crisis' - Mustang, Skydive, Ironman etc. It's a great excuse so why not use it ... ? :giggle:

I'm currently thinking about having another MC episode - I want to go and have a look at Everest base camp with my brother ... :like:

With regards to 'Perceptions of Middle-age Men in Mustangs', I spotted this at a local show ...

1639140173736.jpeg

:cwl:

WD :like:

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Our daughter is out of college and in the work force and our son is in college now. I thought for sure that by this point in life, the passion for fast cars and the constant pawing at my wife would both have started to dwindle, but no. She'll be happy if and when either of them come true! :crackup: :like:

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Funny, I think stereotypes are regional and shift over time.

I always thought a Mustang was what 'kids' drove. Cheap accessible muscle car.

I've always been into performance cars, and have always had a performance oriented 'coupe' or 2 door as a fun car. Even when a teenager I had 2-3 cars at a time.

From a Buick Skylark and 442's in High School and college, to modified Saab 900Turbos and GTI's in my 20's when I autocrossed, to an M3 in my 30's, and Classic Porsche in my 40's.

I had my M3 for 20 years, and the Porsche was a lifetime goal and dream car, will be left to one of my kids/grandkids.

I loved the BMW, but at 23 years and 150K it was breaking my wallet. The final straw was the cracked intake manifold and failure/problems with the ABS system. I miss it sometimes, but as I approach retirement I wanted something I wouldn't have to wrench on all the time, and had modern conveniences.

So, in mid 2019 I started my search for my next fun fair weather performance car. I drove every performance 2 door, and even some 4 doors to compare and decide.

I wanted a car that had the performance, comfort, ease and cost of service and ownership.

For a while, I was hooked on the F Type, but after extended test drives of the 3 platforms (4, 6 8 cyl) the car only appealed in concept. It fell short in the driving experience. Plus I was less than enthused with the company's corporate ownership situation.

Then I was on to all the other Euro Options. M3, M4, M2. All nice, but long term cost of ownership and ability to work on ruled them out. Same with the Aston martins, Alpha Romeo Gulia, Mercedes AMG models, and the Japanese models just don't appeal. I also drove all the P cars. Cayman GTS was amazing, and the 911 Base Carrera or Targa were my #1 favorite. I could have easily afforded them, but just didn't seem responsible use of my $$ if I could find what I wanted for my 'target' of $50K. Why spend $120K+???

For the Americans, I strongly considered a C7, but was too gimicky. The Camaro was a GREAT drive, but fell flat on its face for looks and design. PLUS, how could I buy a car from the Company that killed my favorite brands. Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab (UNFORGIVEABLE....lol). REALLY liked the Challenger SRT, Scat Pack, Hellcat, but it was just too big. I did drive the Mustangs, and liked the GT350 but couldn't find any without stripes, and was concerned about the 'hand built' Voodoo motor long term costs. I was NOT a Ford guy at all, never owned or was interested in owning one. I also drove GT's of various configurations. Nice, but no cigar. Never thought seriously about one, so little research.

Then there was the Supra. I really liked it, and I went and test drove one 5X. The last test drive was a demo/dealer car and I took it for the day. At the end of the day, I decided against it for the lack of back seat, terrible gauge layout, and severe buffeting with windows down.

I was about to go back to ground, and look for an M2 COMP, or Cayman GTS when a buddy suggested I go to the Mustang Configurator. I did, and after 3-4 attempts saw the "Bullitt" option. Selected it and liked what I saw, did a dealer search, and found one that had just received 2. A black and green. Went over, and found it checked every block. Price, performance, 4 seats, reliability, cost of long term cost of ownership and ease of maintenance.

19 months and 12k miles later, I like the car more and more.

As for the whole 'hoping for female attention' I've NEVER thought about that with my cars or motorcycles. In fact, as others have said, my cars have always drawn male attention from other car guys. When a girl says 'ooooh nice car' I just laugh and walk away. I had a buddy who used to say "Not today Carrie... Keep your keys in your pocket" bahhaaaa.

This says NOTHING about the totally cool ladies who love and appreciate sports cars. Met a few and totally respect and enjoy their company.

So let the haters hate. fact is MOST mid-aged men who buy a high priced sports car do so because for many it is the first time they can. Kids through college, financially stable and successful, approaching retirement finally have the ability to own a car they've dreamed about. Besides the lounge lizard who thinks the car will score them a chick 1/2 their age will generally get what they deserve. ;-) ;-) ;-)

OK, book mode off.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
My struggling saga is simple:

I had a convertible sports car when I was younger, liked it, and abandoned it.

Now, time has given me a second chance.

Pounce!

Buy the convertible!

CVCashmere

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
I was just chatting on Face Book (kinda slow at work right now) about how some women I know have rather snide attitudes about older guys with Mustangs.

"I love it when females I know toss out hints about how they perceive middle-aged men in Mustangs/Camaros/etc. Like we're all lecherous mid-life crisis victims cruising bars for women 1/2 our age, trying to re-live our youth.

The easiest way to deflect the non-sense is to mention that such cars attract other dudes virtually exclusively. It takes too long to explain the fun/hobby/relaxation/enjoyment, etc. to people that view cars as nothing more than a necessary evil."

I think that most car-guys experience such silly crap. Thoughts?
lol i dont give any fucks about what people think of my mustang. that's perks of being old and just not caring about dumb shit that doesn't matter. y bother even talk to them...