Passenger side floor wet

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
I’ve been driving my 87 Grand Marquis because my 17 gt has a screw in one of the tires. Well today I had to drive it to work. I get to work and start cleaning the passenger side before my shift and notice the carpet was wet. I pulled up the mat and sure enough its flooded pretty good and it looks like mold spores are forming. It doesn’t appear to be coming from the firewall and running down and the window was sealed. Anywhere else I should look? Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I’ve been driving my 87 Grand Marquis because my 17 gt has a screw in one of the tires. Well today I had to drive it to work. I get to work and start cleaning the passenger side before my shift and notice the carpet was wet. I pulled up the mat and sure enough its flooded pretty good and it looks like mold spores are forming. It doesn’t appear to be coming from the firewall and running down and the window was sealed. Anywhere else I should look? Anyone else have this problem?
I don't have first-hand knowledge, but from what I've seen on the forums, water on the front floors seems to go hand-in-hand with the typical Mustang A/C failures. Still under warranty?

Incidentally, you're the first person I've heard of cleaning their car in the period between when they arrive at the work parking lot and start working. :crazy::crackup: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I don't have first-hand knowledge, but from what I've seen on the forums, water on the front floors seems to go hand-in-hand with the typical Mustang A/C failures. Still under warranty?

Incidentally, you're the first person I've heard of cleaning their car in the period between when they arrive at the work parking lot and start working. :crazy::crackup: Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Lol yeah I work two jobs and am always on the road so I toss a lot of stuff around the car. I had time so I figured why not lol.

I saw the evaporator core can be an issue with these cars but I think the water is coming from outside the vehicle. Its been raining a lot recently while the car was sitting and the fact there is mold would point to it leaking in over time. I’m still curious where its coming from but I’m starting to think maybe the cabin air filter area.

And it does have an extended warranty with a deductible. If I can figure out its a defect of some sort I’ll take it in but until then I’ll poke around myself.

VelR5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 5.0, 2022 Mustang GT
Co worker '15 or '17 gt had the same problem. Weld pinch at the windshield top right (passenger side) failed and seal was not doing its job either. Car was bought back by Ford with all the issues it had. To this day I am scared to buy another newer mustang since my '11 gt gave me other issues and ended trading it. Unbelievably I have had better luck with my foxes and SN95.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Besides what has already been mentioned, some have found the front water leak to be either the windshield seal or the weld under the glass where the windshield A-pillar and roofline are seamed.

I would also check to make sure water isn’t coming in over the cabin filter. The modern cowl is supposed to have a few drainage holes to allow water to drain out instead of accumulating. There is also a cowl drain with a flap that is supposed to auto open to allow water to drain. If those holes are plugged with debris or the drainage flap is not functioning, it’s possible water could spill over through where the cabin filter is located.

This thread discusses the cowl drain flapper:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cowl-drain-valve.132078/

—-

I would do this as a test:
You sit inside the car and have someone run a hose over the top of the roofline on the passenger side so that water is going over the A-pillar and the corner/side passenger door glass. While you’re on the inside run the hose long enough until you see/find where the water is coming into the interior.

If no water is coming it at all from your test - then the source will be possibly drainage from the HVAC Evap core, within the HVAC box.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I would do this as a test:
You sit inside the car and have someone run a hose over the top of the roofline on the passenger side so that water is going over the A-pillar and the corner/side passenger door glass. While you’re on the inside run the hose long enough until you see/find where the water is coming into the interior.
I'd pop off the A-pillar cover on the passenger side too so it's easier to see if any water runs down from that area.

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for all the suggestions guys I’ll try them when I get a day off.

ETAGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium
Your evap is plugged with debris , mine had almost a gallon of water slowly leaking onto the passenger floor.

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Well I sat in the car after hosing it down really well. A trickle started to come in from around the side of the dash where it meets the door panel and dripped on the floor. I pulled the a pillar trim off and found that its getting in somewhere between the a and c pillars as the headliner behind the a pillar trim was wet too. I don’t see how it could be getting in around there though. Any thoughts?
735EFE9F-4D58-4827-BD34-CB3382219710.jpeg
0025D040-4D8A-4084-8EF1-376E2A498639.jpeg
38FEDECE-575B-4D4B-AD84-2047B0713F37.jpeg
AC457E63-3F91-48E0-B147-DE759CF87286.jpeg
0384DFF8-49AE-4BE9-9584-42529ED50781.jpeg
A803E85A-2268-4607-87BA-564B85604748.jpeg
09F22C54-3F29-44F5-8A4E-266AB7E6078C.jpeg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Possible leaky windshield seal, or some other sealed joint in the sheet metal up near the top RH corner of the windshield.

Sponsored
OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Possible leaky windshield seal, or some other sealed joint in the sheet metal up near the top RH corner of the windshield.
I’m thinking you’re right. I’ll have to call the dealer, sigh...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dacia Logan MCV
An owner and moderator, kristen, over in the UK section bought a leaky GT, new from Ford. He ended up with Ford fitting two massive wiring looms as the water was corroding the connections. He might have some good advice for you.

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
An owner and moderator, kristen, over in the UK section bought a leaky GT, new from Ford. He ended up with Ford fitting two massive wiring looms as the water was corroding the connections. He might have some good advice for you.
Thank you. I have an appointment on Monday to see a tech. I don’t think it’ll be fixed by them though. The dealer I bought it from has been nothing but horrible. I’ve been fighting with them since August because they jumped it for no reason which made my passenger window short drop randomly. I just got that rectified recently though they still won’t take responsibility for it. And they had the audacity to charge me for replacing the window motor. I had to jump through so many hoops to get that money back since it wasn’t my fault they jumped my car which fried something in the window motor.

Rant over.

LB2017Ecoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayco
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
17gt07,

I have the same issue with my '17 Ecoboost - water showing in the same exact spot as yours. I don't have a lot of water coming in but shouldn't have any. My Ford dealer looked at it an "couldn't figure it out" and recommended me to the local Ford body shop. I haven't gone that route yet as I don't have a lot of confidence in them. Were you able to find a solution to your issue? My leak doesn't happen at every rainfall (at least not that I can see) but at least enough that I want to get it fixed B4 additional damage is incurred.

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I never did figure out where it was coming from before I got rid of the car. My bet is sheet metal joint or something. It wasn’t close enough to the windshield. I hope you find your leak.
Sponsored