Overheating issues help

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
If you are FI screwing around in stop n go traffic you can easily hit 245 CHT.
I saw a massive difference after venting the rear of the hood: MAX CHT from 245F down to 215F!

1. Get the Reische 170 version 2
2. Vent the rear of the hood. I was able to put my upper grill BACK IN after this since the problem is getting air OUT from under hood more than getting it IN.
To vent the rear:
a. Remove battery cover.
b. Remove wiper blade arms: unscrew arm nut a thread or two, place soft wood block UNDER arm near shaft, tap on nut with hammer or another block of wood forcing shaft off of arm supported by wood. It can be PITA to get arm to release from taper shaft the first time as its forged on due to soft metal.
c. Then remove coping.
d. Carefully remove weatherstrip from underside of hood.

PM if this doesnt lower your traffic temps at least 20F even with stock tstat.
Interesting... I'm going to look into this over the weekend, any negative impacts or issues? I have thought about removing the weatherstripping to help exhaust heat but never went through with it. I typically see CHT temps ~220 in stop and go traffic at 85deg ambient, highest I have ever seen was 225. Running tstat that came with the Whipple.
Sponsored

JadedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Website
benkressler.clickfunnels.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Murdered out
I saw temps hitting 235 consistently here in SE Texas until I changed out the thermostat. It's interesting about removing the weather stripping. My temps don't go past 215 now even if it's 95+.

TexasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Yeah, I don't see over 215 and I live in literally the hottest place in the US. Coolant temps around 195 lately and it's been mid 90's to 100. I have the Roush set up running E85.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Interesting... I'm going to look into this over the weekend, any negative impacts or issues? I have thought about removing the weatherstripping to help exhaust heat but never went through with it. I typically see CHT temps ~220 in stop and go traffic at 85deg ambient, highest I have ever seen was 225. Running tstat that came with the Whipple.
I'm wondering how much rain water/hose water from a car wash can get into the engine bay with no weather stripping. But I also wonder how much air you can vent through there and eliminate some of that hood lift.

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I currently have my hood weatherstripping removed. Awaiting paint for my new hood, so I removed that while waiting. I haven't noticed any temperature reduction. I did notice that my hood moves around a lot now while that gasket is removed. My hood never danced like that before the removal of the weatherstripping.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I currently have my hood weatherstripping removed. Awaiting paint for my new hood, so I removed that while waiting. I haven't noticed any temperature reduction. I did notice that my hood moves around a lot now while that gasket is removed. My hood never danced like that before the removal of the weatherstripping.
Weatherstrip only removal didnt do anything for me either. Pulling the coping was like a 2 beer (50 min) deal. Could do it second time in 5 min, lol. On first test, I wished I hadnt been drinking beer so I could test the cooling in full jackass mode.
You need to remove battery cover and coping, removing only weather strip is too narrow a gap causing a higher velocity and the hood will get sucked down or even oscillate getting sucked down by fast air in a narrow gap (Bernoulli).

Negatives on no coping:
-Longer time to reach operating temps in the winter.
-No parking under trees in fall as you will need to manually clear leaf litter from firewall (I park in garage only so not an issue for me).

I saw temps hitting 235 consistently here in SE Texas until I changed out the thermostat. It's interesting about removing the weather stripping. My temps don't go past 215 now even if it's 95+.
Had roughly same experience in traffic in Houston.
~235 down to ~215 changing to Reische 170.
~215 down to ~195 coping removal.

Last edited:

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Weatherstrip only removal didnt do anything for me either. Pulling the coping was like a 2 beer (50 min) deal. Could do it second time in 5 min, lol. On first test, I wished I hadnt been drinking beer so I could test the cooling in full jackass mode.
You need to remove battery cover and coping, removing only weather strip is too narrow a gap causing a higher velocity and the hood will get sucked down or even oscillate getting sucked down by fast air in a narrow gap (Bernoulli).

Negatives on no coping:
-Longer time to reach operating temps in the winter.
-No parking under trees in fall as you will need to manually clear leaf litter from firewall (I park in garage only so not an issue for me).

This is what I saw in traffic.
~235 down to ~215 changing to Reische 170.
~215 down to ~195 coping removal.
What about water getting in during rain/car washes? Any reduction in the hood lift we see?

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
What about water getting in during rain/car washes? Any reduction in the hood lift we see?
No problems in moderate rain. The body work under the coping has drains set up.
Regarding hood lift, my front bumper supports, fenders and bumper are modded:
-bumper is rolled forward and angled down (about 20mm lower top lip)
-fender supports are cut and extended 1" to push fenders out for 305/35/19 MPSS on 19x11ET50
-hood closes very tightly down over headlights and recessed below fender lines at the front.
I get light rear flutter about 148-155 (at TWS, not on the street), but nowhere near the crazy front lift it initially had.
That being said, I have been looking at adding aircraft cables, hold downs or turnbuckles at the front corners. Its aluminum and not about me, a hood going flying above 100 with others around you on track just wouldnt be right.
Sponsored