Operating top too much?

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I know my '18 has an electric motor, instead of the hydrolic style that could leak, but how much is "too much"? I usually lower the top once a day for the 30 min drive home, then back up again overnight and throughout the next work day. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Shawn2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 401A Auto
I don't know, man.....
Really though, every 10 minutes if you want.
Dont bring it down dirty or wet. Try to leave it up when not driving.
brush it with soft brush. apply sealant once a year.
Keep it parked out of the sun and rain.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
What Shawn said. I may put the top up and down several times a day. Not much point in buying a convertible if you are afraid to use it. Dirt is your biggest enemy.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Not afraid by any means, nothing is better than top down. Just curious if they have an average lifespan etc. From what I hear, the fabric should wear out before the metal frame and motor etc. I clean and dress with 303 twice a year.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
If it's any guidance, I had to replace a lift cylinder on my red Terminator in 2012. Nine years of almost daily use. It still worked, but some oil blew out of the upper seal. Pump failure? Just about never. You can figure that the newer lift mechanisms are that much better than the old hydraulics and you'll have your answer.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Last summer I usually cycled it once a day, as I would drive home with the top down and put the car in the garage overnight and drive to the office in the morning top down, then put it up for the day. On weekends when running errands it might get cycled three or more times, as I won’t park it most places with the top down. This year it’s a completely different story, thanks to CV19.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Nice, so it sounds like the frame and electric motor should last a long time, with the fabric being the outlying factor. Thanks all!!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I have never even given this any thought and don't intend to dwell on it much either.
I use it when I want, whether that is several times a day in the summer or not for weeks at a time in the winter. Honestly, I'm more concerned that the evaporator might die than anything about the top failing.
On my last convertible, a '95 Lebaron that I bought in '95, the top looked and worked like new up until I sold it 2 years ago. Just take care of it as outlined above and it will be fine, no matter the use or gets.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Or leave it down and put a car cover over it during the daytime. There are several good brands out there.

That's what I do.

CVCashmere

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
I live in Michigan so top down weather is really only about 6 months. But I had a 2005 Mustang convertible I drove until 2013 and a 2014 Mustang convertible I just traded in today (for a 2020 I ordered.) in good weather I had the top up and down every day. Never had any convertible top issues with either car.

Sponsored

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
The top would have been stress tested to hundreds and thousands of open and closes.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
I've been using it almost daily for the past 5 years and at least once a week this past winter season since it wasn't too bad at all. Even more so with the SmartTop module, many times multiple times per day. Every time I start the car, reach my destination, get back in the car, more errands, up and down every time I park almost every day with no issues, frays, or damage so far.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The top motor is basically a power window motor, and how long do they last? Pretty much the life of the car nowdays.

Ho Lee Chit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Ragtop
Not afraid by any means, nothing is better than top down. Just curious if they have an average lifespan etc. From what I hear, the fabric should wear out before the metal frame and motor etc. I clean and dress with 303 twice a year.
Ok, I’ll bite. What and where do I find 303?

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I’ll bite. What and where do I find 303?
Walmart, Autogeek.net, Amazon etc. Search for "303 Tonneau Cover & Convertible Top Protection"
Sponsored