Old guy Mustang questions.

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
I've driven my 2019 GT convertible across country twice. No one NEEDs a V8, but you'll love the sound. I have the standard exhaust and love the sound (I think the active exhaust would have been too much for me). Gas mileage will take a HUGE hit if you drive 80 mph with the top down. I drove from Phoenix to San Diego with the top down. MPGs went from about 27 to about 20.
Sponsored

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
I've test driven Ecoboosts and rented one for awhile. I'm an old guy and the only way I'd consider any Mustang but a GT is for my girlfriend. ;)

The real reason we all get Mustangs is the signature sound, the super sexy looks and the no excuses true sports car handling combined with the crazy fast acceleration. They're true panty droppers. (I hope your wives don't see this LOL).

Seriously... If you can afford it then get a REAL Mustang. Get a GT and if you can afford it get the Premium and 401A packages for the features that you'll be VERY glad you got later.

Get what you really want if you're gonna get something beyond a Hybrid Camry.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Thatā€™s not the 10HP drop from 21ā€™ to 22ā€™. Thereā€™s no butt dyno in the world that can feel that. Itā€™s the new M6 ratios in the 18+ that is causing what you feel.
I have to agree with you on that. My 22 GT pulls like a freight train at any speed. The 10 speed has a gear for any situation.

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
would I regret settling for an Ecoboost?
If you put it like that, then yes.
Ecoboost is no slouch, and there are some HPP drivers here that are relentless enthusiasts.
But if you think you'd be settling, then don't.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Getting ready to purchase my cross country sight seeing convertible used Mustang. Question 1 : does a GT really require 90+ octane? and realistically what highway mileage would one get at 80 mph? Questin 2: Since I can't locate GT with the options I want ( 401, active exhaust, safety stuff) would I regret settling for an Ecoboost?
Thanks!
Hey, Iā€™m an old guy too, possibly even older than you (mid 60ā€™s). Iā€™m also a long-time, hard-core Mustang enthusiast. My first car way back in the Stone Age was a 1965 Mustang convertible, and my current 2015 GT is my 6th Mustang. So maybe especially relevant?

To echo what many others have said -

1) No, you donā€™t ā€˜needā€™ to use premium. Forget all the comments about only using ā€˜the good stuff.ā€™ The reality is the car runs just fine on regular.

The engine will put out about 1-2% less hp on regular. Unless youā€™re looking for tenths of a second edge in lap times on a track, youā€™ll never feel that difference where it counts - in the seat of your pants. In 8 years of driving my car, Iā€™ve never felt a difference.

Gas mileage, at the 70-75 mph I usually cruise on the highway, 24-26 mpg is typical. Been as high as 29 mpg cruising closer to 60 mph.

2) DEFINITELY get the V8 GT. Weā€™re old guys. Weā€™re old school. Thereā€™s nothing like the sound or linear feel of a naturally aspirated V8. Itā€™s what we grew up lusting after.

As wiser people here than me have said, if you get the V8 youā€™ll never regret not getting the EcoBoost. But if you get the Eco Boost, I guarantee youā€™ll be sorry you didnā€™t get the V8.

Itā€™s worth searching a little harder for a V8. Donā€™t settle for the Eco Boost. Especially not for a fun car in the autumn years.

One other thing, also definitely get a used S550. Do not get a S650. You wonā€™t be able to live with the abomination of an interior. Two iPads hot glued to the dash is not a Mustang instrument panel.

ā€˜Digitalā€™ instrument panels and turbo-4 cylinder engines might be the ā€˜futureā€™ and loved and embraced by younger generations. But theyā€™re not for dinosaurs like us. Trust me on this.

One take on the S550 vs. S650 -

https://mailchi.mp/467417120e8e/antique-autos-mustangs-swan-song-top-muscle-camaro-commercials

Sponsored

OP
OP

PopsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge, 2014 F150
Great forum! I expected a lot of smart aleck answers if any, but you guys are alright! Thank you for the input, Iā€™ve found a race red GT convertible with everything I wanted for decent money. Thanks again.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Great forum! I expected a lot of smart aleck answers if any, but you guys are alright! Thank you for the input, Iā€™ve found a race red GT convertible with everything I wanted for decent money. Thanks again.
Awesome! Be sure to come back and post pictures when you get it :).

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
I have both an EcoBoost auto and a GT manual. I like the GT better for the sound and the power. But I am very impressed with how quick the EB is in Sport+ mode. If I used a Mustang as a DD/commuter only I might pick the EB.

My only personal things that I dislike about the EB are the turbo lag and how the A10 downshifts in Sport+ mode. I feel a power surge when it downshifts while braking harder which feels unnatural. Maybe that's just me and I don't know how to drive an auto. šŸ¤£

As for MPG...cruising on the hwy in the GT in 6th I get about 26mpg. Haven't paid attention to the EB.
My experience is the same as yours--around 26 MPG on the highway with a GT premium convertible in 6th gear driving 70-75 on 93; manual transmission, performance pack and active exhaust.

Also have a 15 EB premium convertible with performance pack; manual transmission, Borla performance exhaust, and Ford performance tune. The EB is very quick in the Sport mode--I run 93 and average 32.5 MPG on the highway driving 70-75 in 6th gear.

I'm not sure how folks are pushing 30 MPG with a GT on the road using 87 or 91--I always use 93. As for the EB, I'm at a loss as to how folks are getting 40 MPG on the road with 87 or 91. It may be that my 2020 GT convertible is 137 pounds heavier than the coupe identically equipped, and that my 2015 EB is 167 pounds heavier than the coupe identically equipped.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Iā€™m 71 years old and just bought Gt Convertible in Rapid Red . Absolutely love itā€¦My Grandpa once told me when I was in high school and buying my first car and was worrying about gas prices..etcā€¦ ,He said.ā€ Bill, if you are worried about affording to put gas in your carā€¦then you canā€™t afford a car.ā€ LOL
Get the V8.
Grandpa. Bill
Austin, Tz
Bill,

I'm 74 and my granddaddy told me the same thing.

Great minds think alike.

RJ

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thatā€™s awesome Pops. Congratulations. Make sure to post pics asap. šŸ‘šŸ‘

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Man, if you are using it as a GT car, I think I'd go a different route. The GT isn't "uncomfortable" but I know I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in one touring the country. I'd seriously consider a Hellcat or Scat Pack, as they ride better, have more room, and (having owned a Hellcat) turn way more heads. Even without shutting down an intersection to do donuts. :like:

Unless you are hellbent on a vert. Then there isn't a car out there at that price point I would consider. The Camaro has bad visibility with a hard top, I can only imagine a soft top.

And for the love of everything holy, get the V8.

OP
OP

PopsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge, 2014 F150
I waited too long and missed out. Back to the end of the line.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I have 2023 F150 with the Gen 4 Coyote in it. It is strong for a truck but no where near my 2019 A10 GT. I'm sure its the GT manual's tall gearing like others have noted that is the culprit. My Mustang pulls hard no matter what speed I'm at.
More likely the culprit is not driving the car correctly. Itā€™s a 6 speed manual. For goodness sake, DOWNSHIFT the darn thing and get the motor to 4K or more before you expect anything out of it. I had two new 2022 6MTs and they both pulled like freight trains but they wonā€™t downshift themselves!

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Acceleration from a stop is great, but if you floor it from 30,40,50,60 barely any getup and go.
I didn't have this experience with either of my two s550 GT's. 30 in first or even second? Mine was annihilating tires, 40 and 50 in second? felt strong to me. Gotta wind the coyotes out.
Sponsored