Sponsored

Few questions from a former vette guy

kingsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None ...yet
Hello all,
I'm a long time sports/muscle car fan. I had a heads/cam c5 corvette some years ago.. then I got old, bought a house, started a family etc...

Looking to get back into a v8 :thumbsup:

I've always been a bit of a Chevy guy, but these 15+ mustangs look and sound fantastic. Planned on an Auto GT. few questions that I'm sure are dumb but what the hell...

How do these auto trans hold up after a supercharger is added? Really not into manual transmissions as I just find autos to be smoother, as I do drive on i95 traffic from time to time. I'm not a drag racer but I do enjoy romping on it from say a 35mph roll or even from highway speeds. I realize launching it from a dig is going to greatly stress the trans vs say a spirited 40-140 pull.

Still on the fence about Procharger / whipple style FI, any input?

My vette had 305 width tires outback, what do the GTs come with stock? How wide can you go on stock rims?

How are the stock brakes? 6 piston fronts correct?

Any good shops near Philadelphia?

I plan on reading a ton on the forum and look forward to your replies. Be easy on me please :cheers:
Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
if you want the 6 piston fronts, you will either have to get the PP / manual transmission, (at least for 2016), or put them on yourself.

Supposedly the Auto is very strong. I suspect that is because the transmission is re-purposed from the F150.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The automatic transmissions are damn near bullet proof. If you need more proof. Show up on any given Tuesday or Friday night at Atco. And watch the Supercharged cars run. I run 305 drag radials and have 2-300 passes on my bolt on 2015 GT with a 3800 stall converter and the car shows no signs of any issues. Stock wheel size sucks. You wont fit much tire on a stock wheel. 265-275 is about it depending on which wheel package you choice. Either supercharger style is enough to get you in the mid to low 10 in good air. Centris are cheaper. Roots style look better and take up less room under the hood.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
Hi there, I can't really help with the supercharger side of things, not really my bag.

GT's come with 255s all around unless you get the GT PP which comes with 255 front and 275s out back. That said, you can definitely get a set of wheels and tires under there that FAR exceed those numbers.

The 6 piston fronts are on the GT PP only. The normal GT brakes are not bad but the 6 piston are definitely a step up.

Welcome to the forums :)

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
Hi, I had a bolt-on C5 and then a slightly more modded c6 - Now I have this auto GT

I have bolt ons right now, but am waiting for the Procharger to arrive. The Autos are no problem, longevity wise. The issue I had was that you can't buy the performance pack with the auto trans - so I had to make that decision. I like this car a lot, but I do miss shifting.

Have you driven the new SS camaros yet? They are really nice, if you're gonna stick with Chevy - pretty sure you can get the auto SS with mag. shocks and exhaust, but it will probably cost about 10k more than the base auto GT will run you. Those can be had for about 30k now. So, with 30k into the GT and another 10k to throw at mods (what I did) you can have a pretty amazing car.

Sponsored

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
Stock tire width is 265 square if you get the 20" wheel package. I ran 275's on the stock wheels with no issues.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Pretty sure I've seen a 15 GT auto running 9's on stock block/trans with no issues. I forget whose it was though.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
If I had a GT (which I don't) and I was looking to supercharge it (which I wouldn't due to cost Lol) I would go with a roots type charger.. To me, nothing sounds better than that mechanical whine.. I fucking love it. As for pro chargers.. I hate the way those things sound. Without the helical gears they're loud and annoying.. not to mention the constant venting wooshing sound.

Nothing beats the sound of a Terminator with smaller pulleys or with a Kenne Bell/Whipple swap.. that's just my 2 cents.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
If I had a GT (which I don't) and I was looking to supercharge it (which I wouldn't due to cost Lol) I would go with a roots type charger.. To me, nothing sounds better than that mechanical whine.. I fucking love it. As for pro chargers.. I hate the way those things sound. Without the helical gears they're loud and annoying.. not to mention the constant venting wooshing sound.

Nothing beats the sound of a Terminator with smaller pulleys or with a Kenne Bell/Whipple swap.. that's just my 2 cents.

Meh Whipple barely whines at all compared to a pullied Eaton or a KB..

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Hi there, I can't really help with the supercharger side of things, not really my bag.

GT's come with 255s all around unless you get the GT PP which comes with 255 front and 275s out back. That said, you can definitely get a set of wheels and tires under there that FAR exceed those numbers.

The 6 piston fronts are on the GT PP only. The normal GT brakes are not bad but the 6 piston are definitely a step up.

Welcome to the forums :)
I wanna say the 18" rim comes with 235
19" Premium wheel is 255
Perf Pack 255/275
20" Wheel 265

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I still have my Vette and Mustang parts almost free!

You can go square with 275/35 x 20 and rotate the the tires to get more miles out of them. I think the trans is the same as 06 up Corvettes, 6L80.

You can buy the Brembo kit from Ford or takes offs in the classified section for under $1,000. No clue on the supercharger.

Sponsored