Sponsored

Oil Filter/Track Day Mishap

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Last Friday I attended an HPDE at the Utah Motorsports Campus. It’s where they originally held the TrackAttack. The track was setup to be the outer loop. 3.3 miles with a good size front straightaway. I was reaching 145-150 mph.

During the first session of the morning, I was on my fourth or fifth lap and coming down the front straight. I was going over 140 mph when a large puff of white smoke and oil went everywhere. Trying to stop with 10 quarts of oil all over the tires and brakes was, frankly, SCARY AS FUCK! I just assumed my motor was gone.

Once it was towed to the dealer they called me after a couple hours. First question was “who last changed your oil?” Umm them...just a couple months prior. They came back with a “well, good news. Your motor is fine. It appears your oil filter wasn’t properly tightened.”

Well the motor isn’t fine. I’m now burning a quart of oil every 50-100 miles. For the first 21k miles I wasn’t burning any oil at all. FML. Now the fun process of getting a new motor begins :/
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I truly hope it didnt damage your engine. I also had my oil filter work loose during a run. However in my case I noticed it back in the garage when I noticed some oil drops on the ground just in front of the driver side wheel. I opened the oil filter door and reached up and re-tightened the filter. I would normally not tighten a oil filter that tight. But with this car I do. I just use a oil filter wrench to remove it when I need to change the oil.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Wow glad no one was hurt thats a lot of oil on the track. Hope it works out on your new motor.

IconicGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Shelby GT350
Last Friday I attended an HPDE at the Utah Motorsports Campus. It’s where they originally held the TrackAttack. The track was setup to be the outer loop. 3.3 miles with a good size front straightaway. I was reaching 145-150 mph.

During the first session of the morning, I was on my fourth or fifth lap and coming down the front straight. I was going over 140 mph when a large puff of white smoke and oil went everywhere. Trying to stop with 10 quarts of oil all over the tires and brakes was, frankly, SCARY AS FUCK! I just assumed my motor was gone.

Once it was towed to the dealer they called me after a couple hours. First question was “who last changed your oil?” Umm them...just a couple months prior. They came back with a “well, good news. Your motor is fine. It appears your oil filter wasn’t properly tightened.”

Well the motor isn’t fine. I’m now burning a quart of oil every 50-100 miles. For the first 21k miles I wasn’t burning any oil at all. FML. Now the fun process of getting a new motor begins :/
Does your car have the spin-on filter or the cartridge style filter?

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Well, hope you got it on record that they didn't tighten the oil filter properly. If it's burning that much oil, there should be no question you'll be getting a new motor. Now it's just a matter of who is footing the bill: Ford or your dealership?

Silver lining is you'll get a more stout motor with the cartridge filter.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

As part of the post incident checklist did you do a UPC, and is the dealership paying for that damage? In case you’re wondering a UPC is an under pants check.... because after a situation like that there’s a good chance someone needs a new pair of skivvies :)

Glad you’re ok. I bet that was some scary shit! I took my Z06 off track at 135mph after boiling brake fluid.... my heart rate might have reached a new personal best that day.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Lessons for all for the umpteenth time:

1). DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE TORQUE YOUR SPIN ON FILTER UNLESS YOU WITNESS THE TORQUING YOURSELF

2). USE A BAND CLAMP ON YOUR SPIN ON FILTER

25B7056B-7460-42C2-9693-12AEEEE4DF82.jpeg

(Photo courtesy of @Zombo who lifted it from somewhere else:clap:)

Last edited:

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569

1). DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE TORQUE YOUR SPIN ON FILTER UNLESS YOU WITNESS THE TORQUING YOURSELF

And position that band clamp like Tank did so the band can't spin.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
And position that band clamp like Tank did so the band can't spin.
Yes, position the clamp like in the pic but it’s not my pic!

I’ll give credit in the post :like:

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Anyone who says that an engine is "fine" after it dumps all its oil (regardless of reason) while at high RPM doesn't need to be working on cars. In that event, it's guaranteed that some part of the engine was starved for oil at least a little bit of time.

Sorry to hear about your engine. Fingers crossed you're taken care of (might want to change dealers, tho).

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

25B7056B-7460-42C2-9693-12AEEEE4DF82.jpeg

(Photo courtesy of @Zombo who lifted it from somewhere else:clap:)

Agreed. Last time the dealer changed my oil (not by request) I specifically asked if the tech torqued the filter and was told yes.

I checked it when I got home and it took 2 full turns to 18 pounds

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Was your oil and filter changed by Walmart? Because long time ago my wife went to Walmart for oil change twice and twice they forgot to put oil cup back. The oil spelt all over the engine compartment. It's hard to believe that qualify mechanic at the dealership would not properly tighten up the oil can/canister.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Well, hope you got it on record that they didn't tighten the oil filter properly. If it's burning that much oil, there should be no question you'll be getting a new motor. Now it's just a matter of who is footing the bill: Ford or your dealership?

Silver lining is you'll get a more stout motor with the cartridge filter.
Are the cartridge filters less of a problem to change out?