Sponsored

Oil filter changes?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Ok, so I just picked up a new FL-500s filter from my local dealer.
Filter came bare. Not in a box or any plastic wrapping, just the filter itself. The flutes are different from my last one and the label on the filter itself is a sticker - not painted as previous ones were.
Question - is my dealer bringing in some off shore filters or is this now the way they’re coming?

2EC4A0D4-64B3-44B8-BC99-3941823470E3.jpeg
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Who knows what does it matter ?

I use WIX, new car first oil change WIX filter replace the Ford one.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
From a purchasing perspective, OEMs want multiple suppliers for high volume parts to drive down cost and keep the supply chain running. Most likely this is a second source filter that was primarily destined for the service bays.

Both filters should meet the ford requirements.

teetoppz28

Walking on the dark side
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 400a PP1
Also... $12 for that filter? I pay about $5 for the same thing at Walmart! :bandit:

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
For sure. $14.16 after tax. That’s in Ontario though. Our Walmarts don’t carry Ford parts. I think the only ones I’ve seen there are fram. Maybe some others that I’m not familiar with. Up here we also have Canadian Tire and their store brand. Likely a fram as well. Cost is about $12 as well lol.
Not going to debate the “best” oil filter etc... my thinking is if Ford feels this filter is good enough for their vehicles that they warranty then it’s likely a good filter.

I just wasn’t sure if this filter was legit. I usually just order them off Amazon at about $10 each and they always came in a box and with several flutes on them and painted Ford information. This time though, my usual seller is pricing at $20 each so I thought I’d just drop by my local dealer and pick one up as I was going by.
Threw me off when the parts person came out with it though.

Sponsored

teetoppz28

Walking on the dark side
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 400a PP1
For sure. $14.16 after tax. That’s in Ontario though. Our Walmarts don’t carry Ford parts. I think the only ones I’ve seen there are fram. Maybe some others that I’m not familiar with. Up here we also have Canadian Tire and their store brand. Likely a fram as well. Cost is about $12 as well lol.
Not going to debate the “best” oil filter etc... my thinking is if Ford feels this filter is good enough for their vehicles that they warranty then it’s likely a good filter.

I just wasn’t sure if this filter was legit. I usually just order them off Amazon at about $10 each and they always came in a box and with several flutes on them and painted Ford information. This time though, my usual seller is pricing at $20 each so I thought I’d just drop by my local dealer and pick one up as I was going by.
Threw me off when the parts person came out with it though.
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying! I was hoping you weren't getting ripped off. :thumbsup:

2fordsal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2008 Gt500 vert,2014 V6 prem. Vert
The dealerships buy them in bulk packaging, so they do not have a box. Also, Motorcraft changed the fluting on the end of the filters including the FL820S filter.

masterblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2001 Bullitt
With fl-500-s, dealers will buy in 12 packs only, 820, 400, 910... Most of the lower volume filters come in individual boxes. At $14 that's just about as much as a Ford Racing 820s..

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra