Sponsored

Anybody change oil filter half way through oil changes?

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Seems pointless to me.

If you are going to change the filter at 5K you might as well change the oil too. Especially considering how dirty the EB engines makes the oil.
Sponsored

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I do. I also change the air in my tires at the same interval, it is known that compressed air goes stale at about 4K and oxidizes the rubber which causes uneven wear.
I’ve never heard that. I guess my take on that would be..if I like the tires, I would change the air to try to make them last long and if I don’t like the tires, leave it and hope they wear quick so I could get a new set of tires that I like. I wouldn’t change the air in these pirelli p zero Nero all season tires that came with my new Ecoboost. I think they are bricks. The same tire was on my used 2011 V6 convertible I bought in 2014 with 13,000 miles on the car and they were terrible. The used car sales owner I bought the car from said the guy that traded it in owned about a half dozen cars or so and didn’t drive any of them much. I think the car sat and the tires dry rotted and became even harder. I knew there was somebody out there that changes their oil filter half way through their oil change! I plan on doing it 3500-4000 miles then do the full change at 7000-8000 miles.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Oil filters don't always get more efficient with use. It depends on how well the media can retain captured particles as the delta-p across the media increases as it loads up with debris. Definately don't want to run an oil filter to the point were it's almost totally clogged, where the curve spikes nearly straight up, and that's where the bypass valve would start to open and bypass dirty oil.

Shouldn't run filters too much longer than thier recommended mileage rating, especially if the engine is not well maintained and the filter loads up with a lot of crud. On a new engine that shouldn't be any problem, and no need to change a filter before an oil change.

full-37311-17874-oil_filter_efficiency_vs_loading_time (1).jpg

Last edited:

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
We can bring up anything we want. But, the thread wasn’t about that. It was asking if anybody did filter changes halfway through oil changes. Not opinions about whether I should or not but whether anybody did this or not.
I Don't !

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
To help keep things cleaner in the engine.
The only time I changed an oil filter without changing the oil was early to midway along the very first oil change interval on a brand-new engine. Other than that, it's been oil & filter every time, every car.

To add to what frank s mentioned, warm or hot oil flows out better. Definitely a good thing in many parts of the country when your oil change comes due during one of the cooler months.

Norm

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Everyone has a way of doing things. Myself I am "Old School" and do all of my own maintenance. I use Full Synthetic Oil only 5W-20, a quality Motorcraft FL500S or Napa Gold 7502 Oil Filter (Made by Wix the best out there) I change my oil every 5000 miles as I do a lot of around town driving and stop and go driving. I also rotate my tires at this time. All the other fluids and filters are checked or changed as needed. PS: I always look for sales on oil and filters and stock up when available.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
+1 for avoiding Fram filters. They have consistently faired poorly in testing. Motorcraft, Purolator (I believe they make the Motorcraft filters), etc., consistently rank near or at the top and can be bought at Auto Shops etc., for very reasonable prices.

... the 400s filters better but, doesn’t flow as good. Add on to that as time goes and the filter clogs more, the flow is even less. I ask again.....do you want that? I don’t and won’t be using the 400s slower flowing filter. I’ll use the recommended 910s and change it half way through for best flow...
Where did you get that info? Please post a link to the actual specs. What I have seen states that they have basically the same flow rate, and that the 400 filters to a significantly finer size with significantly greater efficiency.

Even if the flow-rates are different, tell me how that matters? Do you know what the maximum flow-rate is for your engine? If the 400 flow-rate exceeds that at the end of its serviceable life, then using something with a higher flow-rate is of absolutely no value.

These things must be looked at as systems for a specific purpose, not in isolation and for any purpose.

... If Ford thought this was the filter to use, they would have put it in the manual. They didn’t and put the 910s instead for a reason...
You are jumping to conclusions with nothing to back them up. There are tons of examples of things being changed by the manufacturer that have nothing to do with making something better/best/etc.

My recollection is that the shorter 910 was brought in to address a clearance issue, not a filtration issue.

As for your original post, there is absolutely no harm other than ecological and economical to changing your filter halfway between oil changes.

However, as has been mentioned, there is very likely absolutely no benefit either. Changing the filter between oil changes became popular with the advent of By-pass filtration (most commonly used in large HD engines). First-tier synthetic oil really doesn't break down, it is the oil additives that wear out, or get used up. Because of this, it is quite possible to run quality oil for 100,000+ miles without issue if you are using a quality by-pass filter plus changing your full-flow filter regularly and replacing the lost additives. This is all done based on doing regular oil analysis testing through someone like Blackstone Labs, and following their recommendations. This is what you should do with your oil. They will tell you if things are great/good/bad, far better than anyone on the internet can.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Nope, not jumping to conclusions without anything to back them up. Proof: Ford selects the motorcraft fl910s as their choice of filter on this new engine. Not the 400s or any other. You don’t need any other proof than that.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
Nope, not jumping to conclusions without anything to back them up. Proof: Ford selects the motorcraft fl910s as their choice of filter on this new engine. Not the 400s or any other. You don’t need any other proof than that.
Please, you haven't provided anything of value.

That is absolutely proof of nothing, other than that Ford changed the filter. There is PROOF that the biggest demonstrable change is that the new one is smaller and doesn't filter as well.

As I mentioned, the specs I've seen show them having the same flow rate which is contradictory to your assertion, so I asked you if you could provide a link to your general assertion, however, you didn't provide anything other than to state that the fact that Ford specified a new filter (that is shorter, has less media, and doesn't filter as well) for your engine and present it as PROOF???

There is a very real possibility that the 910 was selected over the 400 simply due to packaging (space) constraints and has nothing to do with performance. I don't know if that is the case but it has far more credibility than your baseless assertion.

Sorry, but if you aren't able to respond to things with any actual facts than by all means, please indulge your phobia. Facts and science have very little effect on such fears.

My post was meant to be of help, but it is obvious that you have no interest in that by spewing such dribble. I will simply unsubscribe to this thread as it is a waste of my time and anyone else's who is interested in facts and trying to help.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
+1 for avoiding Fram filters. They have consistently faired poorly in testing.
Do some research on the Fram Ultra full synthetic oil filter and you'll see what's going on there. Go over to Bobistheoilguy and do some reading in the oil filter forum.

Sponsored
OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Please, you haven't provided anything of value.

That is absolutely proof of nothing, other than that Ford changed the filter. There is PROOF that the biggest demonstrable change is that the new one is smaller and doesn't filter as well.

As I mentioned, the specs I've seen show them having the same flow rate which is contradictory to your assertion, so I asked you if you could provide a link to your general assertion, however, you didn't provide anything other than to state that the fact that Ford specified a new filter (that is shorter, has less media, and doesn't filter as well) for your engine and present it as PROOF???

There is a very real possibility that the 910 was selected over the 400 simply due to packaging (space) constraints and has nothing to do with performance. I don't know if that is the case but it has far more credibility than your baseless assertion.

Sorry, but if you aren't able to respond to things with any actual facts than by all means, please indulge your phobia. Facts and science have very little effect on such fears.

My post was meant to be of help, but it is obvious that you have no interest in that by spewing such dribble. I will simply unsubscribe to this thread as it is a waste of my time and anyone else's who is interested in facts and trying to help.
Lol, Ford choosing the 910s over the 400s has no value? Please do unsubscribe! All you did is spew dribble!

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I’ve never heard that. I guess my take on that would be..if I like the tires, I would change the air to try to make them last long and if I don’t like the tires, leave it and hope they wear quick so I could get a new set of tires that I like.
:facepalm:

alanpv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium
Do some research on the Fram Ultra full synthetic oil filter and you'll see what's going on there. Go over to Bobistheoilguy and do some reading in the oil filter forum.
Yup, this. Fram Ultra is now seen as the best money can buy over at BITOG.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
So, I have been thinking which way to go since this is a brand new car. There is only one way to keep the engine super clean. That is to change the oil often before it has a chance to gum up. I think instead of changing my filter half way through a 8000 or 10,000 mile oil change, I am going to change the oil an filter at 6000 miles. I did some math on 3 oil change scenarios:
DIY Change averages $30

200,000 miles Ă· 10,000 mile oil changes = 20 changes x $30 = $600

200,000 miles Ă· 8000 mile oil changes = 25 changes x $30 = $750

200,000 miles Ă· 6000 mile oil changes = 33 changes x $30 = $990

So, for $240 more over a 200,000 mile period doing 6000 mile oil changes instead of 8000 mile changes, I won’t need to change the filter half way through oil changes and I’ll have the peace of mind of having pretty darn clean oil for the life of the car. My figures are based on buying my Mag1 oil for around $24 for a 5 quart jug. I have to buy 3 of them to get free shipping here: https://www.zoro.com/mag-1-engine-oil-synthetic-oil-5w-30-5-qt-mag64193/i/G5573331/
Sponsored