Sponsored

Anybody change oil filter half way through oil changes?

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
To help keep things cleaner in the engine. Also, does anybody know if I do that will much oil spill out from the oil not being drained or does the oil pan hold all of the oil in an Ecoboost? So, let’s say I change the oil every 8000 miles and plan on changing the oil filter out at 4000-5000 miles to help keep things cleaner. Anybody doing that here?
Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds unnecessary. A Fram ultra-synthetic is good for something like 15K miles.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Sounds unnecessary. A Fram ultra-synthetic is good for something like 15K miles.
Maybe so but, so are 5000 mile and less oil changes are unnecessary also and are done all the time.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I would stay away from Fram, but back to the point, just stick with the schedule. There are people who have done interesting experiments doing NOTHING but change filters and add the quart that is lost (never changing all the oil) and they have gone over 100K without problems. I have not found a real scientific side by side study though. There seems too be three types of people. 1 - Follow the manufacturers recommendation religiously, 2 - Don't care. Change oil when they feel like it (if ever), 3 - Divide the manufactures recommendation by 2, or stick to the old 3000 mile rule just because.

The manufacture schedule is fine. Most are based on some sort of change algorithm now, based on a variety of factors. I would just stick with the schedule.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I would stay away from Fram, but back to the point, just stick with the schedule. There are people who have done interesting experiments doing NOTHING but change filters and add the quart that is lost (never changing all the oil) and they have gone over 100K without problems. I have not found a real scientific side by side study though. There seems too be three types of people. 1 - Follow the manufacturers recommendation religiously, 2 - Don't care. Change oil when they feel like it (if ever), 3 - Divide the manufactures recommendation by 2, or stick to the old 3000 mile rule just because.

The manufacture schedule is fine. Most are based on some sort of change algorithm now, based on a variety of factors. I would just stick with the schedule.
I'm a 1.5; I just change it once a year, everything that needs an oil change, gets it done; need it or not. Motorcycle, car, bus, lawn mower...that way I fill up 1 bucket to recycle, and I get super-messy once.

Sponsored

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Changing the filter between intervals will likely cause no benefit to the engine, with a good chance of making a mess of your garage. It's a completely unnecessary hassle.

Follow the recommended oil change interval, use quality parts, sleep well.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you change the filter, you may as well change the oil too.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Why do people over complicate something that isn't complicated? Just change the damn oil and filter on a regular schedule like any other car.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Well, I used to do it and felt good about it. I’ll probably be the only one on here doing it. Might just keep the engine a little bit cleaner! Takes about 15 minutes to do and the oil drips into a drip pan so, not much of a problem to do.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Unless this is scientifically proven with lab results, you're wasting time and money on this.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Unless this is scientifically proven with lab results, you're wasting time and money on this.

I’m retired so, I have the time (15 minutes!) and the money!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The thought occurs to me, that most of the stuff that contaminates your oil and causes it to need to be changed, aren't stopped by the filter. So, I'd think changing the filter doesn't really do much without changing the oil.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Motorcraft filters are good for 7500 for sure, 10K is their claim. Use those. Change once per change. Relax.
Sponsored