Overfilling motor oil during oil changes

Solteka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wai
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost 10A
Is it bad if I put 6.0 quarts of synthetic 5w30 oil in my Ecoboost Mustang when the manual says to only put 5.7 quarts during oil and oil filter changes?

I usually put 6.0 quarts because I don't like to leave the extra oil in the bottle and I do hard cornering often (great driving roads).

Thanks!
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No, .3qt won’t hurt.

Deleted member 35644

I put in 6.2 qts, reads at the top hole on the dipstick the next morning. 6.0 doesn't even fill it completely unless you didn't drain it long enough. You're good.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Is it bad if I put 6.0 quarts of synthetic 5w30 oil in my Ecoboost Mustang when the manual says to only put 5.7 quarts during oil and oil filter changes?

I usually put 6.0 quarts because I don't like to leave the extra oil in the bottle and I do hard cornering often (great driving roads).

Thanks!
You're fine. That extra .3 won't hurt anything. Car manufacturers have a little bit of a safe guard built in for this sort of thing. You would have to overfill it by a few quarts before it becomes a problem.

Engines seem to be less fussy compared to transmissions when it comes to fluid. I've overfilled the transmission fluid in my Jeep before and it started puking out fluid from the vent and dipstick both. Tranny fluid got all over a hot exhaust and the smoke show started for everyone behind me. Tranny fluid burns hot and fast. It left some of my exhaust system black and it stunk for awhile. I've even heard a few stories where the person's car caught on fire. Sorry, I got off on a little tangent.

You will be completely fine though. No worries with just .3.
Sponsored