Sponsored

Anybody change oil filter half way through oil changes?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
OP, are you trolling?

One of your previous threads was mixing 0w-20 with 5w-30. Link here

Why make life difficult? Stop with the ideas that make no sense. Don't mix oil and don't change your oil filter before your oil change is due. If you have any more of "these" ideas, do yourself a favor and stop yourself before you start thinking about it. No need to over analyze, live your life with a simple acronym. KISS = keep it simple stupid(I'm not calling you stupid, but rather figurative language for the acronym)
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Although I would change it all at one time, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. If changing the filter between oil changes gives you peace of mind, I say change the filter. It certainly won't hurt anything.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Although I would change it all at one time, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. If changing the filter between oil changes gives you peace of mind, I say change the filter. It certainly won't hurt anything.
Finally, a voice of reason. Thanks for giving a decent reply instead of stuff like...are you trolling or filters don’t do anything.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Actually you would be filtering worst by changing the filter often. My 3000gt Mitsubishi recommended change filter every other oil change. A dirty filter filters better I've been told. Seemed to make sense.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
I believe the filter only change stemmed from big trucks with extended capacity oiling systems, not from standard light duty automobiles. If you were going to change anything more frequent than the other then it should most certainly be the oil and not the filter due to the oil having a point at which it starts to degrade and breakdown, which can be accelerated by contaminants like fuel, while a quality filter on a healthy engine would take ages to collect enough particulate to hinder its ability to do its job. With that said though, filter quality is paramount as it needs to adequately filter the oil and stop particulates properly.

Most people shunt off the oil life indicator, but it is based on sound algorithms to determine the oil degradation based off of the engines run-time and operation demands. I am by no means saying that they are always 100% calibrated for every combination of variables and conditions, but if you are driving the vehicle within the parameters of its design then they are fairly accurate for keeping the oil change intervals at a safe spread leaving some room for error. I don't know about all Fords, or anyone else's for that matter, but my '16 F150 and my previous '16 GT oil life indicator seemed to range about 7-7.5k miles of normal driving before it would indicate that an oil change would be needed, however, I did not have the oil evaluated and after that test I started with my current regiment unless I am towing or hitting the track.

Obviously if you are driving fairly aggressive a lot, like myself, then it is probably smart to go with the 5w30 oil recommended by the owners manual and then follow the indicator or your own set intervals that make you feel the most comfortable. Now I, myself, will be using the oil life indicator or a mileage interval of 5k, whichever comes first, as my '18 is my DD that receives many frequent WOT conditions a week and though these engines have hypereutectic pistons, they still get a decent amount of blow-by, as most high compression performance engines will.

With my Evos I had oil evaluated many times to try and get a good idea on the oil life span, but even when stretching to a 7.5k interval, the oil really required changing earlier, around every 5k on 0w50, due to fuel contamination and not because of the oil breaking down. E85+ is very intrusive when run as a primary fuel, the oil will containment so much that it will smell like it!

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The filter is going to filter just as well at 8k as it will at 4k. With more mileage it will get more contaminants in it but it will still be able to filter them out properly, and it certainly wont clog or reduce oil pressure for way longer than 8k miles. Having a slightly dirty oil filter wont make your oil any dirtier. All of the crap in the oil is already absorbed through blow-by.

That being said, if it makes you happy it wont hurt anything. We all do things that make us feel better that others find worthless. I run two FilterMags on my oil filter even though most of the engine is aluminum and not magnetic lol.

One thing I would recommend though is a slightly larger Ford Racing filter. It's larger than stock which will provide more surface area in the filter (meaning you can go longer between changes as it will take more time to get "dirty"). It has all the nessesary features like an anti-drainback valve. And it is a good quality filter. I strongly advise against cheap filters like Fram. You can simply pick up a Fram filter and compare it to an OEM, the Fram will feel light as a feather which I wouldn't consider a good spot for weight reduction. They feel cheap, thin, and not well made IMO. I'm sure the filter material inside is not stellar either.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...4-0l-4-6l-5-0l-5-4l-1996-2019/p/M6731FL820-V/

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Let me join in this session of Guess-O-Rama with my supposition that there is no good reason to make changes in oil and filter routines as specified by manufacturers. If there were a good reason, the manufactures would incorporate it in their specifications. They would certainly not reduce or expand intervals without due diligence. They do have to account for "average user behavior" in their specs. If you are not an average user, you're certainly entitled to make adjustments on the basis of things you know that the manufactures can not.

I have taken my spiritedly-driven cars to the dealer for oil and filter changes mostly at six-month intervals or thereabouts, because it can't hurt, and it makes me feel good.

In the olden days received wisdom included the necessity to drive a car for a decent interval—ten or more miles or twenty or more minutes, if I recall correctly—so the unburned fuel that ran down the cylinder walls during a cold start could get hot enough to boil out of the oil. My conjecture—guess, that is—is that modern technology, metallurgy, and chemistry have eliminated or reduced that need to insignificance, but I use the drive-it-enough requirement to get on the highway and fulfill some of my need for pleasurable, stress-free experiences.

Any road, I'd hesitate to take the advice of some unknown InterWeb pundit with regard to any of this stuff. In this instance there isn't enough to be gained or lost to justify the time or bandwidth.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I do. I also change the air in my tires at the same interval, it is known that compressed air goes stale at about 4K and oxidizes the rubber which causes uneven wear.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
“I believe the filter only change stemmed from big trucks with extended capacity oiling systems, not from standard light duty automobiles.”

And they carry like 35 litres of oil. Plus those oil filters are enormous.

Let the OP do his thing but I would suggest he take a scientific interest in his oil and filter game. Test the oil or cut open the filter to see if there is any point. I worked for ESSO/Imperial Oil back in the day when Mobile 1 made it’s first appearance and all this reminds me of that time. And yes, Fatguy gets around...

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I get the oil and filter changed at the dealer when the oil life meter says to, which is averaging about 10k miles. They threw in 3 or 4 "free" when I bought the car.

Sponsored
OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Yes, as filters get used, they clog up more and actually filter better but, that restricts flow. Do you really want to do that? Plus, many here are using Motorcraft filter fl400s instead of recommended fl910s in their Ecoboost. Yes, the 400s filters better but, doesn’t flow as good. Add on to that as time goes and the filter clogs more, the flow is even less. I ask again.....do you want that? I don’t and won’t be using the 400s slower flowing filter. I’ll use the recommended 910s and change it half way through for best flow. Here is a thread elsewhere in a forum about the 2 filters. The 400s’s is 80% at 20um which means it is filtering 80% particles 20 microns or larger. The 910s is filtering 50% at 35um which means it is filtering 50% particles 35 microns or larger. Yes, that 400s filters better but, restricts flow. If Ford thought this was the filter to use, they would have put it in the manual. They didn’t and put the 910s instead for a reason. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4302325/1

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Sure has taken you long enough to bring up the equation .

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Sure has taken you long enough to bring up the equation .
We can bring up anything we want. But, the thread wasn’t about that. It was asking if anybody did filter changes halfway through oil changes. Not opinions about whether I should or not but whether anybody did this or not.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I follow the manual/or the 'change oil light'. Replace filter and oil at the same time, and I've been doing the Mobile 1 combo for many years now. On a car with no 'oil light' I've just done what the manual says basically. But my logic is, computer says to change it, and it's a nice reminder. Wife's Focus has generally called for oil around 9.5 to 10.5 k intervals.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Finally, a voice of reason. Thanks for giving a decent reply instead of stuff like...are you trolling or filters don’t do anything.
You're welcome sir. Sometimes we tend to concentrate on what's best for us, and forget what the question was. Such is life my friend. :)
Sponsored