Sponsored

Oil drain plug

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That too.

It's all different, but still fits on the engine itself. The pickup is unique to the GT500 pan so it won't fit the GT or GT350 pan. And since the pickup is different, then it won't fit the GT350 or GT pump.

Ford sells this as a complete kit https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6675-M52S
There you go, that's the one time upgrade I would do and have total piece of mind instead of messing with a craptastic composite pan and dealing with oil plug follies.... Thanks for posting that info and the FP link @EFI !!
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Wow. The simple facts are:

1. The composite pan is a brilliant (no, really, it is) piece of industrial design. It solves two serious problems for the Voodoo and it was so successful there, it's been moved across to other platforms with the 5 liter modular engine. The only thing it doesn't do (that the GT500 pan does) is reinforce the block.

The first problem it solves is the vibration problem. The Voodoo is very capable of breaking that spindly little oil pickup tube that's used with metal oil pans. The pickup tube is integrated into the pan - it's a duct molded into the composite structure. It's unbreakable, unlike the metal ones. See @honeybadger's posts on his engine rebuilds - his GT500 pickup broke and that was after his FP race pan pickup broke.

The second problem it solved is space. Because it's molded, it can have a shape that takes advantage of space around the bottom of the engine so it holds more oil. Until the composite pan came along, 10 quarts was out of reach in an OEM pan. It's also built with very effective baffling - pulling 1+g turns on track? No problem - it'll do it all day long.

So, it's actually a very smart design. If Ford had said it was made with "carbon fiber", folks would be falling all over themselves to install it. Instead, we get "eewww - it's plastic".

2. The factory drain plug doesn't leak and it doesn't fall out. There are hundreds of thousands in service at this point and the complaint level is zero out of ten. I've got 30,000 miles on mine and I see no reason to replace it. The product works just fine on all the modular engines that use it. Switching to aftermarket to be "more secure" is a waste of resources. You might get "just as secure", but "more" is out of reach.

The one thing that's challenging about the factory plug is the size. Presumably, when the high-volume sump became a thing, they didn't want dealers complaining about how long it takes for the sump to drain. So, the plug's big and it drains fast, even with 5w50. It's a feature, not a bug.

Sponsored

JG M1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1965 Unique Cobra Replicar
Can't you control the flow when you remove the factory plastic drain plug by doing it slowly?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Can't you control the flow when you remove the factory plastic drain plug by doing it slowly?
Absolutely - I hold the plug partially unscrewed in the hole for few minutes controlling the flow. Requires some patience and eventually your arm will get little tired (unless you have something to support it) but it is absolutely doable. I can shoot a video next time I do it which will be in a few days.

JG M1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1965 Unique Cobra Replicar
Absolutely - I hold the plug partially unscrewed in the hole for few minutes controlling the flow. Requires some patience and eventually your arm will get little tired (unless you have something to support it) but it is absolutely doable. I can shoot a video next time I do it which will be in a few days.
That would be great to see
That would great to see!

OP
OP
Slicktricky

Slicktricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach1
I do the same thing. Unscrew the drain plug and barely pull it out until you get the desired oil flow without making a mess. If you prematurely pull it out it will spew all over everything.XD. 10 quarts is a lot of oil in there. Your arm will get tired

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Oil control is the primary reason I went with the Femco unit...easy peasy hose hookup to my oil pan / jug. I normally use the Fumoto valve on all of my other vehicles over the last 10 years for that same reason.

Sponsored

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
On my side 2016 Gt Vert. I have the OEM yellow plastic one but when I googled th KX6Z-6730-b it says 2018+ and if I check on the net, many ford dealers refers to 9L8Z-6730-A which is a standard bolt with oring... I'm confused!!! Also on our Mustang 6G site, there is nobody ever talked about the 9L8Z... even many many treads about oil plugs.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
On my side 2016 Gt Vert. I have the OEM yellow plastic one but when I googled th KX6Z-6730-b it says 2018+
A 2016 doesn't have a yellow plastic drain plug. The Gen 2 Coyote came with a black steel oil pan and a regular steel drain bolt that screws in. Only on the 2018+ and the Gen 3 Coyote did Ford update to a composite oil pan with a yellow plastic oil plug that twists in.

If you have the latter, someone either swapped in a Gen 3 engine or a Gen 3 oil pan on your Gen 2 engine.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Oil control is the primary reason I went with the Femco unit...easy peasy hose hookup to my oil pan / jug. I normally use the Fumoto valve on all of my other vehicles over the last 10 years for that same reason.
I have purchased a Femco plug, and have not installed it yet, waiting for the 1st oil change. I want to ask, if it was easy to install? I've read that it may take a wrench to get the tabs on securely, and just don't want to break it installing it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I have purchased a Femco plug, and have not installed it yet, waiting for the 1st oil change. I want to ask, if it was easy to install? I've read that it may take a wrench to get the tabs on securely, and just don't want to break it installing it.
If you can fully access it on a Mustang, you might be able to do it by hand.

On my F150, the plug is partially obscured by the front sway bar (fantastic design), so I had to use a crescent wrench to carefully budge it that last partial turn to lock the tabs.
Sponsored