Oil drain plug

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You don't need the aftermarket for that. Ford made a nice aluminum pan for the GT500 with better baffling and 2 more quart capacity. That's what I'm upgrading mine to when it comes time.
Does that fit the Coyote? Is it plug & play?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Does that fit the Coyote? Is it plug & play?
Yes, several people have done it. It's plug and play, the only thing that you really have to do is to cut the wire loom off of the oil level sensor harness and route it to the other side of the pan. And you also need to change out the oil pump as it's slightly different but again it all fits just fine.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
And you also need to change out the oil pump as it's slightly different but again it all fits just fine.
Did you mean pickup rather than pump?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0

Sponsored

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That too.

It's all different, but still fits on the engine itself. The pickup is unique to the GT500 pan so it won't fit the GT or GT350 pan. And since the pickup is different, then it won't fit the GT350 or GT pump.

Ford sells this as a complete kit https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6675-M52S
That's an expensive and time consuming option just to get rid of the plastic drain plug. If you're adding this while adding other upgrades, maybe. If you're worried about the integrity of your plastic drain plug... No.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
I'd be curious what the coefficient of thermal expansion is for the OEM oil pan versus OEM plug and aluminum.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That's an expensive and time consuming option just to get rid of the plastic drain plug. If you're adding this while adding other upgrades, maybe. If you're worried about the integrity of your plastic drain plug... No.
Of course, this is something you do when you have the engine out or are doing major upgrades like OPGs etc.. That price on the FP website is inflated, noone actually pays that. Most vendors that carry the kit have it for several hundred less. When you consider what you get, including a beefier oil pump that for the most part should not require billet gears, it's not a bad price. A 12 quart aluminum baffled pan is a big upgrade.

JG M1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1965 Unique Cobra Replicar
Of course, aluminum pan with threaded steel drain plug.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
This is a myth whose origins appear to lie in an unfortunate choice of words in the service manual. Every procedure that involves draining the engine oil ends with a step that reads: "replace oil drain plug". But what Ford actually meant was "re-place", as in "place it back again", not as in "exchange it for a new one".
That too.

It's all different, but still fits on the engine itself. The pickup is unique to the GT500 pan so it won't fit the GT or GT350 pan. And since the pickup is different, then it won't fit the GT350 or GT pump.

Ford sells this as a complete kit https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6675-M52S
Now that looks like a well engineered oil pan, Is it 10 Quarts? I take it that the OPG are an upgrade on OEM to prevent Harmonic Cracks?

Sponsored

f2e524d1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
1969/2021 Mustang Mach 1

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Of course, aluminum pan with threaded steel drain plug.
Someone will develop an adapter to use the factory Ford plastic plug :wink:

Last edited:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Here's another option I found. It uses a Gen2 oil pan. I can't speak to this conversion kit (never used) but it's similar to the Moroso pan mentioned earlier.

https://www.stang-aholics.com/i-316...gen-3-motor-and-aftermarket-cross-member.html

https://www.moroso.com/ford-5-0-modular20571/
https://www.enginelabs.com/features...-oil-pans-oil-pickup-tube-for-gen-iii-coyote/
The Ford oil pan with baffles and Upgraded oil pump and gears seem to be a good path for me when I FI. Thanks for passing this on to the forum,
Sponsored