Sponsored

Oil Consumption Concern

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That amount of consumption is concerning. I think it would be a good idea to see another dealer.

I just rolled past 17,000 miles. No track time. It's about 50/50 on mountain road drives and highway trips. Very little city driving. I've changed the oil 4 times and in between changes I'm pretty consistently at 2000-2500 miles per quart consumed. Something I've noticed is that the oil consumption seems to be higher when the oil is full. When it gets to 3/4th's down on the dipstick, consumption seems to slows significantly. I have no numbers to show that but maybe something that other folks may want to watch. If I added oil whenever it fell from the "full" mark, I would think my average consumption was much higher.
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
No. I had to do two separate 500 mile drives when the oil was topped off. But they also did leak down test, compression test, and bore scope. Having to drive 3000 miles is silly. I’d call Ford customer care about thatcher

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
That amount of consumption is concerning. I think it would be a good idea to see another dealer.

I just rolled past 17,000 miles. No track time. It's about 50/50 on mountain road drives and highway trips. Very little city driving. I've changed the oil 4 times and in between changes I'm pretty consistently at 2000-2500 miles per quart consumed. Something I've noticed is that the oil consumption seems to be higher when the oil is full. When it gets to 3/4th's down on the dipstick, consumption seems to slows significantly. I have no numbers to show that but maybe something that other folks may want to watch. If I added oil whenever it fell from the "full" mark, I would think my average consumption was much higher.
This could have something to do with the shape of the sump, just guessing.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
They inspected and performed their initial test. I was given the 'it's normal' response (printed out on the reciept and everything...).

Will continue driving it hard and monitoring over the next few weeks. Then take it to another dealer. Travel has me behind on everything.
Running catch cans?
There is more than one way oil can get into the combustion chamber.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I've read on these forums that if the oil level is between the High/Low dots don't mess with it, topping it off tends to have it consume until its between the dots again...

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Check out www.autoline.TV for the After Hours segment with Chief Mustang Engineer, Carl Widmann. At the 19 minute point, Carl talks about the oil consumption such as the Car and Driver long term test GT350 fiasco. C&D added 21.5 quarts of oil on top of the 5, 10 quart dealer oil changes in 40K miles.....a new record at the magazine! All that oil right through the CATS!
I am wondering if that vehicle (Car and Driver test) would have qualified for a new motor based upon their usage??

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Check out www.autoline.TV for the After Hours segment with Chief Mustang Engineer, Carl Widmann. At the 19 minute point, Carl talks about the oil consumption such as the Car and Driver long term test GT350 fiasco. C&D added 21.5 quarts of oil on top of the 5, 10 quart dealer oil changes in 40K miles.....a new record at the magazine! All that oil right through the CATS!
"fiasco"?? C&D loves the car
Sponsored