Sponsored

Oil Consumption Concern

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So, I burned ~2.5 Qts of oil (Motorcraft) during a ~400 mile highway drive and half day track session. Photos attached are also very concerning as this crap is coming from the exhaust.

I am very concerned; but I am a rookie. Should I be concerned?
IMG_20190525_061637.jpg
IMG_20190525_063706.jpg
IMG_20190525_061701.jpg
Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure you’re reading it right? I don’t mean to be snide, but are you sure you aren’t looking at it since last oil change or longer? Reading it cold vs hot?

My car doesn’t burn much oil. Over a full weekend of hpde, with drive to and from track, I lose under a quart, maybe from midway between oil dipstick mark to the low hole. I see a little soot, enough for a dirty white car, but nothing substantial. And my favorite track, farther away from me but slower, I lose even less. 400 miles and two four session days and my dipstick barely moves.

If you’re sure of your data you need a trip to the dealer.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I'd be concerned. Make sure you consistently measure oil level after the engine has been shut down for awhile and on level ground.

For comparison my car goes to and from the track 300 miles plus the full track day with no consumption.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Top it off and start keeping track of it and when/if it is indeed oil consumption, then post here.

Not the end of the world if it is consuming oil. It would probably mean some valve work.

OP
OP
imbadatthis

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks all.

I am measuring consistently and will monitor it more closely over the next few weeks while starting my documentation on this.

It's a 2017 with 10k miles.

Greatly appreciate the feedback!

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks all.

I am measuring consistently and will monitor it more closely over the next few weeks while starting my documentation on this.

It's a 2017 with 10k miles.

Greatly appreciate the feedback!
How long have you owned the car?

Sponsored

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
So I had my motor replaced this past week after doing an oil consumption test. The results were 1.5 quarts within 420 miles. Compression/leak down test showed a loss of 40% in cylinders 1, 2 and 25% in cylinder 3. Ring failure. My plugs were coated in carbon. My exhaust tips were coated in soot like yours. Take my advice and go to a dealership you trust and do the oil consumption test. Don't do what I did and spend time trying to diagnose to see if you have an oil consumption problem. The replacement engines are for model year 2019. Myself and 3 others had our original long blocks replaced with 555 GT350R long blocks. Just so you know, 555 is GT350R and 557 is GT350 motors.

I've put 650 miles on the new motor and am very pleased. Also, I am not concerned about not having a numbers matching motor/vehicle. I want to enjoy this car and be as worry free as possible about my experience. I've owned the car for 3.5 month and for the first 5,000 miles I was stressing over the oil consumption. Some here on this forum even saying I was being sensational :) :) :)

So again.....don't spend time and wasting your money on self diagnosis. Take it in to the dealership. They'll change the oil. Mark the level then have you drive it for 500 miles. If test shows consumption, the next step is compression and leak down test. If the motor fails, Ford will authorize a replacement. Mine took 2 days of me testing/driving. 1 day of testing by the tech and getting a replacement authorized. 2 days shipping and 2 days for removal and installation. I was very much okay with the tech taking his time to do the swap. My swap was the 2nd the tech did and he knew Ford's process for mine. IM me if I can do anything to help.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Trade that bitch in before you need a replacement motor and goes in the Carfax and other records.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
I feel for those that have engines burning oil, I had one once and it just made my stomach churn worrying about it. I must have one of the best motors, after 1000ks I can wipe my finger inside my exhaust tips and have zero soot on my finger. Get it looked at and fixed soon so you can stop worrying and enjoy your nice car.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Well, you are from down under, so unless you track your car, there is no way in hell you can use oil. I mean doing 40 miles an hour tops in the city and 60 miles on the dot on the freeway in 6th gear, you can barely warm up the engine from Sydney to Melbourne. The plethora of cops, speed cameras and horrible drivers will ensure all of the above.
....and yours is a GT, not a GT350, different cattle of fish; mate :)
Gee, you get pay a shitload for a GT350 and it automatically comes with horrendous oil consumption, money well spent!
Don't assume all Aussies live in Sydney or Melbourne, I recently drove 1500ks at speeds consistently over 160kph in ambient temps of 45ÂşC, I can do that where I live AND with not a drop of oil consumption. Tracking a car shouldn't make it drink oil like it's going out of fashion.
By the way, it's "kettle of fish"....mate!

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Gee, you get pay a shitload for a GT350 and it automatically comes with horrendous oil consumption, money well spent!
Don't assume all Aussies live in Sydney or Melbourne, I recently drove 1500ks at speeds consistently over 160kph in ambient temps of 45ÂşC, I can do that where I live AND with not a drop of oil consumption. Tracking a car shouldn't make it drink oil like it's going out of fashion.
By the way, it's "kettle of fish"....mate!
Unless there’s an actual issue, running these cars hard doesn’t cause excessive consumption necessarily.

Riding the crackle, low load high rpm etc that shoots it out the tailpipes. And, since the exhaust sounds so amazing on any solid rev matched downshift and when you lift etc..

But yeah drive it > 6/10 or like a Camry all day no problems
Sponsored

Last edited: