Sponsored

Oil consumption - should I be concerned?

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Do you add oil before it gets down below the bottom mark on the dipstick?

Mine doesn't use any oil, unless it's sitting at the top mark on the dipstick. If it's completely full of oil, the level will go down until it's approximately midway down between the two marks on the dipstick. If I fill it, it will keep going down to that point. If I just leave it alone it will stay at the midway point until the next oil change.
You might be on to something here. When I did my oil change, I added a little over 9.5 quarts and then checked the oil. It was a little over the mid way spot on the dipstick so I just left it alone instead of possibly over filling it. After 1700 miles and that track day we did it has gone down to just under the halfway spot. So it has maybe used a 1/4 to a 1/3 in that timeframe. I'm going to leave it alone as well until it hits the bottom of the stick.
Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You might be on to something here. When I did my oil change, I added a little over 9.5 quarts and then checked the oil. It was a little over the mid way spot on the dipstick so I just left it alone instead of possibly over filling it. After 1700 miles and that track day we did it has gone down to just under the halfway spot. So it has maybe used a 1/4 to a 1/3 in that timeframe. I'm going to leave it alone as well until it hits the bottom of the stick.
Maybe the engine discharges excess oil when its too full. I will try this as well.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Do you add oil before it gets down below the bottom mark on the dipstick?

Mine doesn't use any oil, unless it's sitting at the top mark on the dipstick. If it's completely full of oil, the level will go down until it's approximately midway down between the two marks on the dipstick. If I fill it, it will keep going down to that point. If I just leave it alone it will stay at the midway point until the next oil change.

My level has been just above the bottom hole since I first checked it at 900mi. Currently at 2250mi. I check it every fill up and even have a quart I carry with me just in case but so far holding steady.