Official Ford Sync3 3.4 Release

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The heated steering wheel that can only be controlled via Sync has got to be one of the stupidest ideas in the history of the automotive industry.
I can understand someone being dumb enough to come up with it, but how come it was approved? Why did no one tell him "go home, you imbecile, and don't bother coming to work tomorrow"? :crazy:
Only if you use AA or ACP. Otherwise it is fine.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No, it's not fine. You can't turn it on until Sync boots up, which takes a while. And after it boots up, it first displays that stupid warning about using the navigation responsibly. You must close that (or wait for it to disappear by itself). And it's next to impossible to turn it on or off while driving, because you must look at the screen and do the delicate operation of touching it with your fingertip at a very precise point - the button is very small. Also, you can't do that if you happen to be in the media screen, or using full-screen navigation. You must first return to the home screen. And you can't do it while you're reversing.
It's a stupid idea no matter how you look at it. Whoever came up with it should have been kicked out of the company that very instant.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
No, it's not fine. You can't turn it on until Sync boots up, which takes a while. And after it boots up, it first displays that stupid warning about using the navigation responsibly. You must close that (or wait for it to disappear by itself). And it's next to impossible to turn it on or off while driving, because you must look at the screen and do the delicate operation of touching it with your fingertip at a very precise point - the button is very small. Also, you can't do that if you happen to be in the media screen, or using full-screen navigation. You must first return to the home screen. And you can't do it while you're reversing.
It's a stupid idea no matter how you look at it. Whoever came up with it should have been kicked out of the company that very instant.
Problem solved..........
1606397102307.jpeg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
There should be a hard button for all climate functions. This heated steering wheel feature screams of a last minute addition. I wonder sometimes if the designers do usability studies on the various functions of the car. For example: I have a 2014 Ford Fusion, the physical climate controls are touch sensitive and completely flat with no tactile feedback, down near the gear selector. You can't operate any of those buttons without taking your eyes off the road! To make matters worse, in the winter when driving with gloves on, I can't even use the climate controls without taking my glove off. To remove one glove I basically have to take both hands off the wheel briefly. Those controls don't work unless your hand is bare! This is a huge fail! Stepping off soap box now.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I guess somehow they must have known, or at least suspected, that the touch-sensitive climate control panel wasn't such a great idea, because when they ported the Fusion to Europe as the Mk5 Mondeo they installed proper buttons.
But sadly, the stupid idea of the Sync-controlled heated steering wheel seems to live on. Not only did they not fire the imbecile, but they didn't even realize what he did. :giggle:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
There should be a hard button for all climate functions. This heated steering wheel feature screams of a last minute addition. I wonder sometimes if the designers do usability studies on the various functions of the car. For example: I have a 2014 Ford Fusion, the physical climate controls are touch sensitive and completely flat with no tactile feedback, down near the gear selector. You can't operate any of those buttons without taking your eyes off the road! To make matters worse, in the winter when driving with gloves on, I can't even use the climate controls without taking my glove off. To remove one glove I basically have to take both hands off the wheel briefly. Those controls don't work unless your hand is bare! This is a huge fail! Stepping off soap box now.
Be careful what you wish for. My wife’s 18’ Escape has a separate panel for the HVAC controls. They are harder to to see and to use. On top of that you cannot use voice control to change anything.

1606398251793.jpeg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Be careful what you wish for. My wife’s 18’ Escape has a separate panel for the HVAC controls. They are harder to to see and to use. On top of that you cannot use voice control to change anything.

1606398251793.jpeg
I would actually prefer that. I never use voice for climate and I would be able to at least feel where the buttons are without looking.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Actually, I like the climate control panel in my wife's Kuga. It may seem complicated in pictures, but finding and pressing any button is very easy and comfortable once you become familiar with it. I wouldn't trade it for any touch-sensitive panel, no matter how good it might be. And I would have certainly not bought the Mondeo if it hadn't had proper buttons.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV

1606398251793.jpeg
Heated steering wheel on the Kuga is a physical button right behind the auto transmission lever and really fiddly. UK spec looks slightly different to US spec. Personally never had any problems with screen based switch in both Mondeo and Mustang.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Heated steering wheel on the Kuga is a physical button right behind the auto transmission lever and really fiddly. UK spec looks slightly different to US spec. Personally never had any problems with screen based switch in both Mondeo and Mustang.
Same here.

C804EF60-8ADF-4601-B33F-07D93D0C75E2.jpeg

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The heated steering wheel that can only be controlled via Sync has got to be one of the stupidest ideas in the history of the automotive industry.
I can understand someone being dumb enough to come up with it, but how come it was approved? Why did no one tell him "go home, you imbecile, and don't bother coming to work tomorrow"? :crazy:
You must have never see for example new VW cars, everything capacitive touch in burried in touchscreen. There easily could've been a button for this.
For example, the should have made the middle the volume knob pressable for power and then make the power button a "star," where you can add your favorite function (like Android Auto).

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have my 2019 Bullitt at the dealer, they're replacing steering wheel (since steering wheel heating was garbage) and seat back for driver (squeaky) and cooling modules. I think only the squeaky seat is an actual issue, others are a design flaw, but they're replacing it all anyway, so I'm not gonna argue. Lack of physical button though is still annoying.

Actually, I like the climate control panel in my wife's Kuga. It may seem complicated in pictures, but finding and pressing any button is very easy and comfortable once you become familiar with it. I wouldn't trade it for any touch-sensitive panel, no matter how good it might be. And I would have certainly not bought the Mondeo if it hadn't had proper buttons.
I got a 2020 hybrid Escape Titanium. Wife has a hybrid Niro, but not gonna lie, the Escape is a nice car.
It also has a crisper screen and way more usable HVAC controls, with, guess what, DEDICATED HARD BUTTON FOR HEATED STEERING WHEEL.
They just got lazy in the Mustangs, as they basically carried over all the same controls since what, 2015? This Escape is a complete redesign, so maybe someone did use their brain there...

20201127_114645.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
They just got lazy in the Mustangs, as they basically carried over all the same controls since what, 2015? This Escape is a complete redesign, so maybe someone did use their brain there...
It’s not laziness. As you said, the S550 had one dashboard design from the beginning. Maybe it will be changed for the S650, maybe not.

How about everyone stop bitching about a stupid button and be happy we have a heated steering wheel. Glass half full! :facepalm:

By the way, when Ford pulled the HVAC controls out of Sync a few years ago on the Escape the only way to include the steering wheel control was with a physical button.