Official Ford Sync3 3.4 Release

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The instructions say the car has to be running, but will it work if you put a charger on the battery or is the car running mandatory?
Many of us have done it with just the ignition on, and a charger hooked to the battery. Keep in mind BMS will shut off power at 45 min regardless of battery charge... but you get a warning, so look for it, and just turn the ignition off and back on quickly, and everything will keep going. On my car, it took about 1 hr and 10 minutes, so you know. Just make sure you update to Sync 3.4 first, or the new map version wouldn't show correctly on settings. I had to load the 1.19 maps twice, since I did it the first time before updating to Sync 3.4, and settings still showed 1.18. After the second map update (and Sync 3.4 already there), if finally showed 1.19, as it should. Hope this helps.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Map updates can be funny sometimes and do not like being interrupted. Go out and take a nice drive. Mine took about an hour and a half with notifications coming about every thirty minutes (do not touch anything during the first two, they will go off by themselves). After the third message you can go ahead and shutoff and restart your car. Also follow the download directions to the letter, especially the license file.
I had no problem doing my map update from USB in the garage with the battery charging. Hit the start button at least twice. I think three times.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Many of us have done it with just the ignition on, and a charger hooked to the battery. Keep in mind BMS will shut off power at 45 min regardless of battery charge... but you get a warning, so look for it, and just turn the ignition off and back on quickly, and everything will keep going. On my car, it took about 1 hr and 10 minutes, so you know. Just make sure you update to Sync 3.4 first, or the new map version wouldn't show correctly on settings. I had to load the 1.19 maps twice, since I did it the first time before updating to Sync 3.4, and settings still showed 1.18. After the second map update (and Sync 3.4 already there), if finally showed 1.19, as it should. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I figured you could do it that way but wondered about the ignition shutting off. I think you can just push the brake pedal too according to the manual. Thanks for the reply.
Edit: Pushing the brake pedal does not work, you have to push the ignition button twice.

Last edited:

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks, I figured you could do it that way but wondered about the ignition shutting off. I think you can just push the brake pedal too according to the manual. Thanks for the reply.
Or, you could just start it when leaving work and keep cruising until it's done, that's what I did. I'm always looking for a reason to drive tho.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Or, you could just start it when leaving work and keep cruising until it's done, that's what I did. I'm always looking for a reason to drive tho.
Just how long is your commute?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I used to do that in the good old days, when the world was normal. My daily commute was about thirty minutes one way, and about fifty minutes the other way. But I took a longer detour when a Sync update was in progress.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I used to do that in the good old days, when the world was normal. My daily commute was about thirty minutes one way, and about fifty minutes the other way. But I took a longer detour when a Sync update was in progress.
"Back in the day when world was normal." If there was one sentence to sum up the sh*tshow that's been 2020, that may be it.
Yeah, that's become one of my joys and stress relievers - start the burrly V8 and have some high-rev fun!

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am getting the Error code LST-ERR05 which means there's a problem with the license file.
When I pull the USB it says Install complete. Updates will take effect the next time you start your vehicle. Obviously they did not install after the error code failure. When I reinsert the usb nothing happens as if it is done so I did a Master Reset and it starts over with the Error code message.

I followed the Ford instructions exactly. I have installed Ford Sync 3.4 first with no problems.
I used a 128GB 3.0 usb drive formatted as exFAT32 and label of SyncMyRide. I have SyncMyRide, autoinstall and DONTINDX in the root directory. I put the license file in the SyncMyRide folder and it does not have (1) or anything like that in the file name.
I have the car ignition on with a small charger on it, battery is fully charged.

Oh and I deleted and reloaded the license file after a master reset and that did not work either

Edit to say I got it. Will post later, gotta go.

Last edited:

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got it to work. I need to get somewhere so I will post again after looking at my notes.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I did the update today but had a problem: "This USB Device Is Not Supported" This was with a 32gig USB 3.0
I then tried with a 16gig USB 2.0 and the update worked fine. Took about 30 minutes.
I assume Ford doesn't support a flash drive larger than 16GB?

I just bought a 32GB and might be SOL.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

I use a 32gb and a 64gb so no issues there. Make sure you formatted it correctly. If you did try another drive. Sometimes they just don’t work.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I use a 32gb and a 64gb so no issues there. Make sure you formatted it correctly. If you did try another drive. Sometimes they just don’t work.
I'm on my second drive. The other one was 64GB. I am formatting on a Mac so I suspect I will have problems.

My file structure also looks different from the Ford help page. https://help.ford.com/update-sync/usb/ but since I can't even get it to recognize the drive I don't think that's it.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I used a 128 GB so you should be ok.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I am formatting on a Mac so I suspect I will have problems.
So long a you format to exFat you should be fine. I still use my mid 2011 iMac and have no issues.

My file structure also looks different from the Ford help page. https://help.ford.com/update-sync/usb/ but since I can't even get it to recognize the drive I don't think that's it.
Can you see the file on your Mac? Also try throwing some music files on a clean drive and see what happens.