OEM Oil Pump Gear Question

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have never heard of the stock oil pump gears failing on a stock Gen 3 5.0.

Do they?
Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80

Do they?

General consensus is, if you stay stock, you are fine. If you go F.I, then it's possible that they may break. Some say, it's because of banging the motor off of the rev limiter. Others say, the crankshaft driven superchargers induces different harmonics. I went Whipple and for peace of mind, I changed my gears to the billet ones. I haven't seen anyone lately stating that they had a gear failure on this forum.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Anything can break, even stock while the engine is idling. But highly unlikely.

General consensus is that if you keep it stock, don't rev to the moon and don't bounce off the limiter then it will be fine.

People that rev to 8000rpm+ or put heavy stress on the crank snout with superchargers are the ones that can break them, but even then there are plenty of examples where people do that with the stock gears

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
It's typically wheel hop that breaks stock oil pump gears more than anything. But stock with lets say FBO/tuned you have more of a chance of breaking your axels than OPG's. Boosted do yourself a favor for peace of mind and put some Boundary OPG's in that puppy.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's typically wheel hop that breaks stock oil pump gears more than anything. But stock with lets say FBO/tuned you have more of a chance of breaking your axels than OPG's. Boosted do yourself a favor for peace of mind and put some Boundary OPG's in that puppy.
Does shock from wheel hop really find its way all the way back through the driveline to the OPG’s ... ?

WD :like:

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Does shock from wheel hop really find its way all the way back through the driveline to the OPG’s ... ?

WD :like:
It has to do with the skip of the tire but yes. In a way. The oil pump gears skip and when they try and catch again they miss and seize or break and oil does not go through the motor at that point. If you do burnouts or ride radials or go hard from digs get OPGs. If you’re just gonna roll and drive fast to car shows because you want to show the painted supercharger off then OPGs aren’t that serious. To me peace of mind is priceless.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Positive displacement gear-rotor oil pumps can't skip. So I'm not seeing how tire hop can affect the engine oil pump.

If this were so, it would have the potential to affect the oil pump in the transmission also.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Three Coyote PD setups on stock gears and never an issue. All on stock OPG's. YEs they have seen the track as well.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

Do they?
I always recommend doing upgraded billet OPGs and sprocket when boost is thrown into the equation. They are a great piece of mind. We sell them here at www.lethalperformance.com.

Sponsored

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Its like insurance. I'd rather spend 1000-1500 on my motor, if supercharged, than spending 7-10k on a new motor and depending on damage, a new supercharger. We've seen a few dozen supercharged guys break their OPG's, some were lucky and were able salvage the motor but most were not so lucky. A lot of these guys aren't on Social Media as well, just older gentlemen that race their car a lot.

If you're supercharged, we always recommend.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I appreciate the responses. But the topic is "stock" GT, I never said FI or even modified.

I think by now virtually everyone is aware of potential oil pump gear failure in a "non-stock" application.

So I would still like to hear of someone that has experienced failure, if any, in a stock GT. I personally have not.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I appreciate the responses. But the topic is "stock" GT, I never said FI or even modified.

I think by now virtually everyone is aware of potential oil pump gear failure in a "non-stock" application.

So I would still like to hear of someone that has experienced failure, if any, in a stock GT. I personally have not.
And I don't think you will. With a stock car, you also have 5 years of warranty, so why even worry or think about it?

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not worried about it in the least. I am very confident Ford knows how to engineer oil pump gears.

Reason I ask is if you go with a turbo set up in an A10 GT, and keep the shift points in RPM same as stock, then the oil pump gears should be fine.

Dapepper9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Not worried about it in the least. I am very confident Ford knows how to engineer oil pump gears.

Reason I ask is if you go with a turbo set up in an A10 GT, and keep the shift points in RPM same as stock, then the oil pump gears should be fine.
So you want stories that don't involve boost so you can compare to boost?
Sponsored