Sponsored

Oil pump gear disaster

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I can't 100% tell by watching but is your tensioner even extended? It doesn't look like it is. Did whatever you use to hold the tensioner in break in there without you knowing?

If it is extended and pushing back in something happened for sure.

Regarding bolts for the Boss tensioners I can't find anything via googling around. Anything I find is stock replacement or says they are supposed to come with the Boss tensioners.
My boss 302 tensioners came with 4 new bolts.
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I ripped it all apart and cranked it a couple times with the timing cover off and the tapping noise is definitely the timing chain tensioner on the driver side. I decided I didn't wanna mess around and picked up some Boss tensioners from MMR since they're local. The problem is, I did not get new bolts with the new tensioners which are much beefier. The old bolts are much too short, and I was hoping someone might be able to provide me a part number or spec for the bolts that are supposed to come with the tensioners?

Also, I retimed the engine using the procedure used here, thank you for posting! After timing it again, we decided to crank it a couple times and it does not appear to have changed at all. I took a video for you guys to check out and hopefully provide some insight. I'm thinking the tensioner went to shit. Thoughts?

I have the boss 302 tensioners that Ford also used on the Cobra jet, ordered them from levittown and they also came with 4 bolts, so I think you should go back to where you got them and ask for the bolts.

Is just fitting the boss 302 tensioners a big job or is that a simple DIY?

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
That drivers side tensioner was providing zero pressure against the chain guide. When you pull the pin out of the tensioner, the plunger should snap into position against the guide.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That drivers side tensioner was providing zero pressure against the chain guide. When you pull the pin out of the tensioner, the plunger should snap into position against the guide.
So you fixed it?

As to just swapping tensioners out would you say it is a big job?

Sponsored

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Definitely the tensioner. You can see it is providing no pressure against the guide and chain.

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Check this out though. It seems to be fully extended when stationary. I can't move the chain guide by hand at all. I will work on getting those bolts today and throw the new tensioners in and I'm really hoping that's the end of this.

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Got the boss tensioners installed. Seems 100% better to me. Does this look normal to you guys?

[ame]

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Did you actually start the car and let the tensioner get oil to it? Or just crank it a little and hear the noise and stop?

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Cranked it then panicked and shut it otf before it fired. You're thinking I didn't get enough oil pressure to pressurize the plunger?

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Correct. It is a oil fed tensioner, that you drained all the oil out of when you compressed it to install it. Its going to have more play than normal. Willing to bet it would have been fine.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Cranked it then panicked and shut it otf before it fired. You're thinking I didn't get enough oil pressure to pressurize the plunger?
This changes everything. I was under the impression you had actually started the car and were getting the noise while running.

Correct. It is a oil fed tensioner, that you drained all the oil out of when you compressed it to install it. Its going to have more play than normal. Willing to bet it would have been fine.
This is likely correct.

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
I think you're right but I was super paranoid. I probably coulda saved myself a hundred bucks and 2 days of work, but at least it's something of an upgrade I guess. I'll throw it all back together tonight and hopefully be done with it. Thank you all for the tips/advice/support on this. I appreciate the help tremendously!

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Nothing wrong with being concerned about something that seems off on a very expensive new car. I always try and look at stuff like this as a learning opportunity. Be sure to give us an update once she's back together!

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Nice pieces if anything..
Sponsored