Sponsored

Normal 10 speed automatic behavior (quirks)?

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
Crazy to read this. I rented an ecoboost in HI and it did everything your describing. The hard shifts, the desire to get to high gears, the R-D lurch. It seemed confused. It literally only felt good with my foot to the floor. I had an Edge Sport with an auto at the time that was butter smooth so I just chalked it up to abuse. It was a rental after all.
Sponsored

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
yeah think I’m going to have them do that to mine as well.
What year is yours? Let us know how it goes. I’m getting mine looked at next week. I fear since it’s an intermittent problem I’ll get no action. I gave up buying Ford products after a string of lemons in the 80s and 90s. I bought a used 2014 Mustang V6 and actually had good luck with it. Now I feel like I’m back in lemon land. This thing already needs a new strut bearing and has a wonky transmission. 8 months old.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I used to have a 15 V6 with the 6r80. The paddle shifters were a bit slow but nowhere near the delay with some of the 10-speed shifts. Does "resetting the transmission tables" do anything about the paddle shift lag?

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wish Ford had provided a (reasonably) easy way to reset the transmission 'KAM' memory, without any special tools or gear. (Like through the engineering menu, or the oil change reset menu). At least that way owners could try that without a dealer visit.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
I wish Ford had provided a (reasonably) easy way to reset the transmission 'KAM' memory, without any special tools or gear. (Like through the engineering menu, or the oil change reset menu). At least that way owners could try that without a dealer visit.
pull the battery cable overnight..

some say 30m is all thats needed.. YMMV

Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I took my car to the dealer today for the first oil change. I told them about the tranny behavior. They checked everything and confirmed gears 1-3 are harsh. They reset it/ relearn adaptive shift. It aready feels better since doing it.

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
I took my car to the dealer today for the first oil change. I told them about the tranny behavior. They checked everything and confirmed gears 1-3 are harsh. They reset it/ relearn adaptive shift. It aready feels better since doing it.
They are supposed to update the software and or reset my 2020 when I take it in next week for a couple of other issues. (Strut bearing replacement and adjust rear quarter window) Fingers crossed it improves it. What’s weird is 3/4 of days it goes into reverse smoothly, and 1/4 with a mild to bad jolt.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Great choice :)

Let us know the before & after - I am confident you will be very happy with the results!

TJ
They are supposed to update the software and or reset my 2020 when I take it in next week for a couple of other issues. (Strut bearing replacement and adjust rear quarter window) Fingers crossed it improves it. What’s weird is 3/4 of days it goes into reverse smoothly, and 1/4 with a mild to bad jolt.
I didn't have any software updates for mine. Hoping the reset lasts. I've heard some people have to eventually reset it again.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I didn't have any software updates for mine. Hoping the reset lasts. I've heard some people have to eventually reset it again.
yeah I may ask them to reset mine...
feel some of the same issues...
Can’t disconnecting the battery reset it or did they plug in and do a software update?

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
yeah I may ask them to reset mine...
feel some of the same issues...
Can’t disconnecting the battery reset it or did they plug in and do a software update?
Honestly I dont know how they did it. Disconnecting the battery for a good 30 minutes works. I'm sure they can reset it by computer quickly. Some do have software updates, but I definitely did not.

Sponsored

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took car to dealer. They agreed shifts were bad. They reset the adaptive learning, and Updated the PCM/TCM Software. It’s behaving much better. In D upshifts and downshifts are much smoother. Not totally slick but reasonably good. S mode feels a bit harsher but far better than before. Perhaps it’s meant to be firmer shifting? The problem of harsh engagement from P to R is generally gone, but once it was a bit harsh since the update. It’s still slow to go from R to D. There’s a 2 or 3 second lag. Dealer noted it but didn’t seem to have a solution. I have a 2019 Toyota Highlander with V6 and 8 speed automatic. It’s shifts flawlessly virtually all the time. The Mustang is a lot peppier but the Toyota transmission has better manners.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
It’s still slow to go from R to D. There’s a 2 or 3 second lag. Dealer noted it but didn’t seem to have a solution.
This is normal in every one of these 18-20 mustangs I have driven or friends that have them. mine does it too.

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is normal in every one of these 18-20 mustangs I have driven or friends that have them. mine does it too.
Thanks. I guess that’s good to know. This definitely is not the best behaved transmission I’ve ever owned. But at least it’s reasonably good now.

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about somewhat harsh shifts in S mode? Normal?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
What about somewhat harsh shifts in S mode? Normal?
So This was my first automatic in 30 years. and I joked i had to re learn to drive an auto but ... The issue is this transmission trys to learn off you when you first get the car and are learning as well. so it learns to shift based on your shitty driving LOL. so my car like others was all harsh ans strange. I took it to have the tables reset and bingo now the car learned to shift with my awesome driving and its been golden. Now to answer your question. In s it is aggressive. you can be in tenth and hit the gas and it will shoot right to 5th and bang go... then for what ever reason it likes 5th and wants to stay there in s mode. If i put it in track mode and in select shift(s) it is harsh. both my buddies cars are too. Now in that mode if you drive it like you hate it , it loves it. If you try to drive it normal like on the street and in regular traffic its gonna shift hard and some times chunk. its not really meant for that mode on regular driving roads. you gotta drive that mode hard and it loves it. it will also aggressively down shift in that mode as well. short story if you are in track mode and in s and you are just driving on normal roads and in normal traffic the shifting is gonna be strange and at times harsh you may even get clunks as it not really made to drive that mode in normal situations.

side note if you know any one with a procal they got with their ford performance tune you can reset the fuel and trans tables with it. just plug it in and press a button and done.
Sponsored