Sponsored

Nightmare Paint Issues on New 19 GT Premium

MustangPonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Hello everyone,

I'm really looking for support here. I have owned 15 fords in my family. 8 have been mine, and 5 of those have been mustangs. I love mustangs and have always stood by Ford, but this experience has really made me feel sick beyond belief.

I purchased a 2019 GT Premium for close to 50k in July. The car was filthy on the lot, and they only agreed to wash it after I purchased the vehicle. After I paid for the car and went through the hours of paperwork, it was dark out and the dealer was closing. Before even driving home, I immediately saw paint runs on the clean car and some paint defects (dirt under base and clear coat in a bunch of spots, dealer scratches on inside and outside of the car, etc.), but as I said it was after closing time, so I drove it home, and looked at it the next day in sunlight.

I was horrified by what I saw. The car is covered in at least 20+ areas of dirt under the base or clear coat all over the top of the car. There is even dirt in between the layers of the glass on the rear, side, and front window (you can tell because there's basically a bubble in the glass itself. The interior panels on the door and throughout the car have deep scratches, and there is even some kind of green discoloration in the driver door and passenger foot step that looks like someone spilled something in those areas and bleached the plastic.

I immediately stopped driving the car and waited until I got the car looked at by a highly trusted detailer a couple weeks later (as soon as they were available), one which is allowed into Ferrari/McLaren/BMW/Audi/Mercedes/etc dealers to work on their cars brand new. I wanted to get a second opinion on the car before taking it back to Ford, hoping they would tell me it was nothing. They have worked on many Fords including many brand new mustangs, and said they have never seen anything this bad on any car.

They said there is absolutely nothing to be done except full repaint and refused to work on the car, but they did reach out to Ford and vouch as an expert that the paint has factory defects and needs to be fixed. They also pointed out tons more of the paint spots and issues, and I have lost count on the number, which far beyond the initial 20. They are all over the car from front to back, top to bottom. I called the Ford dealership, as well as Ford's warranty number, and got told to take it to the dealer. I was on vacation at this point and didn't get the car back to ford until a couple of days ago.

The service manager saw the car and had his local body shop expert look at it as well and the service manager said he "has never seen anything this bad on any Ford before". He said a "full repaint was needed" as well and that it should easily be approved under warranty. Keep in mind, I was extremely unhappy about having a brand-new 50k car be repainted and was hoping it was nothing, but my experience was about to get worse.

I got a call today from the service manager saying my claim was denied due to "outside forces" touching the car. He said that because a detailer looked at the car, they are not honoring the warranty and no repaint/work will be done. He even said because there were some light hairline scratches in the clear coat on the hood (that will likely buff out), they can't cover any paint repairs either. I told him that the dealer caused those in their initial car wash, and that there was NO WAY anyone other than Ford caused a paint run that is almost an inch long in factory paint, as well as tons of dirt under the base coat in the factory paint. It's dry before it leaves the factory. I got told there is nothing that can be done at this time by the dealer or Ford.

The service manager even pushed it further when he said "Ford cars come perfectly painted from the factory", and that "if there were all these issues, why did I even buy the car in the first place?" I explained that it was dirty when I bought it and I did see the issues before driving home. Car buying is stressful and between looking for any engine/electronic/noise/panel gap issues, I didn't have time to individually examine every inch of a brand new 50k car, which should be mostly defect free. My 2016 F-150 and my 2014 Mustang GT had several paint nibs that beg to differ with "perfect from the factory", but nothing even close to this.

I have attached pictures of the issues here including the hairline scratches they tried to use as an excuse. I still need to get some pictures of the paint run and the dirt spots under the base coat, which are very visible from several feet away but hard to capture on a camera due to the black paint.

All those white spots you see are not rail dust, they are not rock chips, and they are not surface stains. They are bubbles in the clear and/or base coat where there are pieces of dirt you can plainly see and feel as a raised bump in the paint.
IMG_8828.jpg
IMG_8831.jpg
IMG_8836.jpg
IMG_8838.jpg
IMG_8839.jpg
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Sorry to hear of these issues on your brand new car. Certainly looks like a lemon paint job from those few photos you posted.

I would escalate with Ford customer service and aggressively pursue the matter above the dealership level if they are not being co-operative.

Not that you want to hear this, but I would never purchase a car in the night time and drive it home without giving every panel a detalied inspection for dents, scratches and paint flaws whilst in good daylight conditions.

Hopefully Ford will do right by you and perform paint repair work under warranty.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I think someone else here just went through a similar headache
Try the search button
Ford bought their car back I believe
FWIW I didn’t think your pics help display your concern well enough. Maybe it’s my eyes & likely so
I’d send ford updated pictures that show no doubts

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yeah, I learned to always inspect a potential buy in sunlight and clean after a wash. I bought my black GT when slightly dirty, and after I washed it and looked with a strong light I found scratches all over the car. I think the dealer probably washed it a few times while on their lot and scratched it all up. I spent 2 weeks rubbing out all the scratches, and the rest of the paint looked ptetty good - none of the dirt contamination issue you have.

If I was in your situation I would have brought the car back the day after the purchase and make them undo the deal. Most states allow that for a few days after a car purchase.

Your situation sounds totally fubared at this point. And your dealer and Ford sound like they are trying to get out of doing anything, which isn't right. Did uou actually contact Ford Customer Service about this? Don't know what to suggest if Ford won't help. Maybe contact the Attorny General in your state and see if they can help in any way. Good luck.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Or just find a close ford Lincoln dealership with a body shop and have them tell you

Sponsored

OP
OP
MustangPonyGT

MustangPonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the replies everyone. For some more context, I did take photos of the issues right when I received the car and they are timestamped. I also reached out to Ford Customer Care as well as the dealer about the issues a week or so into ownership and Ford said talk to the dealer. The dealer said they would have to see the car but were extremely skeptical and doubted this was possible to have so much paint problems (hence why I wanted the paint expert opinion to back it up). So I have a record of reaching out to Ford and the dealer early in this process.

The delays in getting it to them were in getting the expert opinion, getting my schedule free (I have a tough work schedule and the dealership is over an hour away from me), and just not knowing that this was so time sensitive for something that is clearly faulty factory paint and should be warranty work. When I called Customer Care, they told me not to worry and assured me that the paint was covered under warranty for factory defects for the initial 12 months of ownership. The dealership service manager also gave the friendly "we will get this fixed under warranty" speech to me when it was shown to them, as I noted. Which is what made this so upsetting when he and Ford did a complete 180 on their stance and are trying to get out of fixing the car. This conversation with them has been going on for at least a month at this point and it seems like nothing is getting done while I'm too afraid to even drive the car and give them so much as a rock chip to use as an excuse.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So Ford and the dealer did a 180 just because you had a good paint place just look at the car? If so, that doesn't make sense. Nobody messed with the paint, right? Maybe Ford and the dealer thinks they did something to the paint. Have the dealer and/or Ford call the place you had it looked at.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Hi I’m the guy someone else mentioned who just went through something similar. See my post history for details. You have to let them take your car to the body shop. I went through the exact same thing as you. Once it got to the shop Ford corporate got word it would cost 15,000 for the respray, which everyone says sounds about right. Once Ford heard that they called me to discuss buying my car back. It’s been a long process and I’ve had to make peace with living with the faults while it’s all worked out, but I ordered my car and ultimately Ford agreed to build me a replacement car. But I got nowhere until I actually sent my car to the body shop. Go read the last few threads I created for more info!

I was told buyback requests are based on your cars warranty history. Since my car had none when I requested the buyback since no work was performed yet I was denied.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Sorry this happened to you. Since you already know that picking up the car at night without inspecting it was a mistake, lets look at this for another angle. Bottom line, the dealer should have never sold this car to anyone. Hell they should have never excepted this car from Ford. I'm not one to yell lawyer but in this instance I think it is warranted. Have one read your contract. There may be a way out for you due to a breech. They sold you a "defective" vehicle.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Any consumer protection lawyer will take this case in a minute... They will buy the car back, eventually, but be ready to spend some time on it. Ask to have the Ford field service rep look at the car and you will probably expedite everything because they have to document it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MustangPonyGT

MustangPonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the support everyone. I spoke with another dealership yesterday and they said it was ridiculous it was not being fixed, and suggested I open a customer care case with Ford tomorrow to dispute the issue, which I plan on doing. I will report back on what happens, but I don't expect this to be solved very quickly.

The car is still parked for the time being. Even though I don't own another vehicle and I have to car pool, I'm not risking driving it and getting in so much as a fender bender or a rock chip or any other "outside influence" impacting the thing (knock-on-wood) until Ford does the right thing and stands by their 50k product, or this will be my last vehicle from them. I'm certain if this happened with a 50k BMW/Mercedes/Acura/Audi, or even a Honda/Toyota, the car would have been promptly fixed, replaced, or never sold in the first place.

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By chance was your car one of the ones that sat for weeks/mo awaiting a steering wheel or some other part on bo?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I went through something very similar while getting my 2nd Charger Scat Pack. When the plum crazy color was re introduced in 2018, I went and got one for a steal. I did the paperwork and bought the car in pitch black. Went out and yea the car was filthy but looked ok with my phone flashlight. I didn't see any scratches or any issues that concerned me. I didn't drive the car home because I had to swap stock wheels back over on the car I was trading in, so I went back the next day and saw the car in sunlight. The salesguy said "I had the detail department get it shiny for you."

I go to the car and my jaw drops. The whole trunk is covered in gouges. The pics don't do it justice, but it looked and felt like someone dropped a rag and reused it to wipe down the car. There was paint missing on the bottoms of the wheel arches where it looked like someone scraped it with a tire iron.
Here's some pics.
https://imgur.com/a/X1mtg7S

I immediately asked for the manager and they offered me $200 to accept the car.... I said no way. They asked me to give them a day to go to a body shop to see what could be done. The next day, they said that the body shop agreed with me and that the damaged panels need a repaint. I told them that I would not accept a repainted car because I bought a new car, not a damaged one.

They luckily had an exact same spec clone of that car on the lot which was immaculate. After 5 hours, they redid the paperwork and swapped the VIN with the bank and I went home in the clean charger.

I don't understand why they have idiots working in detail. Plus every dealer car wash has brushes in it which absolutely destroys clear coats. I hope you get your car swapped out. I sure as hell wouldn't want a repainted car when I paid for a new one.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Rule #1, don’t buy black cars....

Totally kidding - black vehicles look awesome when detailed out. I used to own a black 1992 Mustang GT, and the black paint new in 1992 looked nothing like THAT in your pics. Sorry to see you’re having to go through so many channels just to get resolution.

It does suck that the paint on that vehicle even made off the assembly line and through any QC (which apparently Ford doesn’t care about QC anymore)... it’s also really bizarre that the selling Dealership’s receiving group didn’t flag that car after it was delivered to them AND prior to putting it on the lot to even be sold with the paint in that type of condition.

You definitely need to call the Ford 800#, request (demand) that you need to speaker to a Ford CSR for your region and you want to one a Case. If you can’t get anywhere with the CSR, then you state that you want a Ford Supervisor. I would also exclaim to them that you are a new Ford Customer, you’re totally disgusted with the QC of the product, how you’re being treated by the Dealership AND you want a Buy Back...

The problem is with a warranty concern (any type), most provisions in State Lemon Laws is that the consumer must allow the vehicle Manufacturer the opportunity to repair or fix the customer concern. As another member stated above, he had to let Ford make,the attempt however once they were quoted the repair cost to do an entire body repaint, they authorized the RAV Buy Back. You may or may not have to wait for Ford to “attempt” to resolve the concerns, they may just approve and you decide how you want to proceed with the Buy Back (vehicle replacement or complete refund and you walk away from Ford).

Personally, if it were me, I’d just demand a RAV Buy Back right off the bat; a complete repaint most of the time never turns out 100% like the original factory paint job and most of the time, the Customer is never satisfied afterwards because now they’re really scrutinizing the paint and looking for every flaw possible.

Open the Ford claim with the Regional CSR, request a Buy Back and be persistent, rule them don’t let them rule you.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
the wife went through the same situation 28 years ago on a RX7. Took possession at night, got the car home and found the paint damage.
took it to a body shop where it was described as acid rain damage--into the primer. Called the dealer and when they were unresponsive got Mazda involved. Eventually, the car went back and they found another--but Mazda drove the whole deal.
A lousy situation to be in for sure, but think Ford will do the right thing here.
Sponsored