Nightmare Paint Issues on New 19 GT Premium

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Hey man I’ll just say this once more. I went through your exact situation very recently. If ford won’t agree to buy it back right away don’t sweat it. Agree to let them repaint it but keep on them. Once I dropped it off to the body shop and ford received the quote from them is when ford suddenly wanted to talk about buying my car back. They had to see the 15k bill from my dealers warranty shop before they did what I wanted and bought my car back. I’m just saying this to say don’t totally flip yet.

Also in Ohio a lawyer couldn’t help me since ford agreed to fix the problem. Ford is doing right by law if they acknowledged your issue and will fix it.
Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
That car and others with paint defects should have never left the factory. "Quality is Job One" is long gone, sadly.
I know that nobody wants a repainted new car but if you have a quality shop do it, you may end up with a better than factory paint job. I had a 2002 Mustang with a damaged rear bumper. Took it to the local Ford dealer body shop. He showed me his paint area. All the paint was the same paint that the factory used. That paint work that he did put the factory paint job to shame.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Hey man I’ll just say this once more. I went through your exact situation very recently. If ford won’t agree to buy it back right away don’t sweat it. Agree to let them repaint it but keep on them. Once I dropped it off to the body shop and ford received the quote from them is when ford suddenly wanted to talk about buying my car back. They had to see the 15k bill from my dealers warranty shop before they did what I wanted and bought my car back. I’m just saying this to say don’t totally flip yet.

Also in Ohio a lawyer couldn’t help me since ford agreed to fix the problem. Ford is doing right by law if they acknowledged your issue and will fix it.
How long did it take for them to buy it back time wise ? If they buy it back do they charge you mileage? I have almost 500 miles on it didn't know if I should just park it

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
It sucks dealing with this because I have put off buying a new Mustang for several years and when I saw this one had everything I wanted and bought it next day

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Told my Ford representative he couldn't get out of the car until he gave me a answer
ford rep.jpg

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
How long did it take for them to buy it back time wise ? If they buy it back do they charge you mileage? I have almost 500 miles on it didn't know if I should just park it
No they did not charge. It's my car, I drove it until it was all resolved. Turned it in with 7600 miles on it and all the wear and tear that came with that. No charge.

Also I can't tell you exactly time-wise, because I asked them to build me a replacement. If you just took the money back I am sure it would be faster than mine. But nothing "started" until I gave them the car to take to the body shop. Then it was probably about two weeks after that I got word Ford would buy back my car.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
No they did not charge. It's my car, I drove it until it was all resolved. Turned it in with 7600 miles on it and all the wear and tear that came with that. No charge.

Also I can't tell you exactly time-wise, because I asked them to build me a replacement. If you just took the money back I am sure it would be faster than mine. But nothing "started" until I gave them the car to take to the body shop. Then it was probably about two weeks after that I got word Ford would buy back my car.
Thank you very much for reply
The first time it was at dealership body shop was last Monday until Thursday and said it can't be fixed with out painting then on Friday when they took all the pics
I love the car all but the paint and if they replace it I will be good with that or buy it back
but I would never get black again lol
Funny story I went by a Ford dealer in South Point Ohio and they had a blue GT350 in show room the paint on it looked worse than mine!! It had twice the amount of dirt in the paint with a ton of scratched wouldn't want that one lol

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I switched from Magnetic to Velocity Blue on my 2nd go around. Couldn't get the same color either.

I had to let them take it twice to the body shop, once for the initial review when I noticed the issues (and then they found more) and once again when it was time to let them start on the repair.

Ford also has a claims review team and when I asked for a buyback initially they denied me. Later I was told that claims team goes based off warranty and ownership history with Ford. Since I never had a claim with this car my warranty was blank, so they flatly refused my buy back. That did not mean I wasn't getting a buy back, it just meant I had to go through all the other steps of letting them attempt to repair.

I also called several lemon law lawyers who all advised me they don't do anything until it's lemon law time. The lawyer that helped me the most was a consumer protection lawyer, who said per Ohio law I was shit out of luck on a lemon law since "paint" is not covered under lemon law - only mechanical/safety issues will get you that.

Ford actually advised me two separate times they did not have to buy back my car per the lemon law (they said they looked into it). They did not say this as any sort of threat, just letting me know they were doing me a favor I guess.

I honestly don't know any other way I could have really gotten satisfaction other than hoping Ford did the right thing. So I hope they do the same thing for you too.

P.S. the replacements paint still isn't perfect but it's 100x better than what it was, so I am happy. But I learned you can't get "perfect" from Ford, even when special ordering.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I switched from Magnetic to Velocity Blue on my 2nd go around. Couldn't get the same color either.

I had to let them take it twice to the body shop, once for the initial review when I noticed the issues (and then they found more) and once again when it was time to let them start on the repair.

Ford also has a claims review team and when I asked for a buyback initially they denied me. Later I was told that claims team goes based off warranty and ownership history with Ford. Since I never had a claim with this car my warranty was blank, so they flatly refused my buy back. That did not mean I wasn't getting a buy back, it just meant I had to go through all the other steps of letting them attempt to repair.

I also called several lemon law lawyers who all advised me they don't do anything until it's lemon law time. The lawyer that helped me the most was a consumer protection lawyer, who said per Ohio law I was shit out of luck on a lemon law since "paint" is not covered under lemon law - only mechanical/safety issues will get you that.

Ford actually advised me two separate times they did not have to buy back my car per the lemon law (they said they looked into it). They did not say this as any sort of threat, just letting me know they were doing me a favor I guess.

I honestly don't know any other way I could have really gotten satisfaction other than hoping Ford did the right thing. So I hope they do the same thing for you too.

P.S. the replacements paint still isn't perfect but it's 100x better than what it was, so I am happy. But I learned you can't get "perfect" from Ford, even when special ordering.
Thank you so much for the info I will let you know the out come for sure
I love the Velocity Blue you have btw it looks awesome

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE
Got a call from dealership saying ( after a week ) Ford now wants 50 photos of paint from a distance with little arrows showing what panels they are. Even though the dealership explained it is on all panels of the car. So have to go back Monday for the photos

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
UPDATE
Got a call from dealership saying ( after a week ) Ford now wants 50 photos of paint from a distance with little arrows showing what panels they are. Even though the dealership explained it is on all panels of the car. So have to go back Monday for the photos
I’m taking this as a good thing. They wouldn’t ask for more pictures if they had already decided against doing anything. It’s a royal pain in the ass but keep playing along with them.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I’m taking this as a good thing. They wouldn’t ask for more pictures if they had already decided against doing anything. It’s a royal pain in the ass but keep playing along with them.
Trust me giving up at all will take it to dealership every week if that's what it takes. It just sucks because there are things I want to do to it but don't want to until I get a answer

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The dealership had to take photos of mine too. They did a good job. I’d think this is a good sign!

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE
Took it back in to dealership he said he took 75 more photos lol and would be sending in today

greenmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Hi, late to the party, but I too am in the middle of Ford processing a full re-paint under warranty. Wanted to let you guys know there's yet another mustang out there with horrible paint issues, and I want to keep up on yours to see what happens. Had an ugly sparkle show up all over my car and upon close inspection, I could see off colored things inside my clear coat. After the dealership attempted to fix it under warranty with a clay bar, they found out the problem was well below the clearcoat and likely from the factory. They sent in several photos of this issue.

I've had the car just under a year and it started to show up to the point where I noticed it. I'm not entirely sure what that means to Ford. The manager at the body shop said he thinks it could either be 'rail dust' or sediment not cleaned out between paint sprays at the factory. Either way, it seems to be growing worse like it's eating through the clear. I have the Need for Green color, so it would have been difficult to see these contaminations from the beginning I suppose. I always had my car parked in the shade at home, and kept wax on it all times, so it wasn't because I was neglecting the paint myself.
I'm waiting to hear if Ford approves a re-paint, but if a re-paint of a potential collector car is going to hurt my value, I don't know what I'll do.
IMG_20191009_132620_756.jpg
Sponsored