Nightmare Paint Issues on New 19 GT Premium

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks for the support everyone. I spoke with another dealership yesterday and they said it was ridiculous it was not being fixed, and suggested I open a customer care case with Ford tomorrow to dispute the issue, which I plan on doing. I will report back on what happens, but I don't expect this to be solved very quickly.

The car is still parked for the time being. Even though I don't own another vehicle and I have to car pool, I'm not risking driving it and getting in so much as a fender bender or a rock chip or any other "outside influence" impacting the thing (knock-on-wood) until Ford does the right thing and stands by their 50k product, or this will be my last vehicle from them. I'm certain if this happened with a 50k BMW/Mercedes/Acura/Audi, or even a Honda/Toyota, the car would have been promptly fixed, replaced, or never sold in the first place.
Good morning, any update from Ford yet?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MustangPonyGT

MustangPonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Good morning, any update from Ford yet?
No updates so far and nothing has been done from Ford yet. I heard from Ford Customer Service that it would be several weeks until the field service rep could come out and even look at the car, so I am waiting for that to show them the issues in person, as this is somewhat tough to prove in photos but is very obvious from even several feet away in person. I will post back as it gets closer, but for right now the car is still parked and collecting dust.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
If you haven't heard anything in a month from Ford on this issue, it would appear you won't hear anything at all.
I hope you gotten a lawyer or the your state consumer affairs dept involved.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
No updates so far and nothing has been done from Ford yet. I heard from Ford Customer Service that it would be several weeks until the field service rep could come out and even look at the car, so I am waiting for that to show them the issues in person, as this is somewhat tough to prove in photos but is very obvious from even several feet away in person. I will post back as it gets closer, but for right now the car is still parked and collecting dust.
In my situation, the Ford people came out a lot sooner than a few weeks. I did have to wait a while, and it was a slow process overall. It's hard to trust them and some times it seemed like nothing was happening, but Ford did do what they said in the end the whole time. I did not get bullshitted by them at all.

I will also say though my dealer was able to take detailed photos that illustrated the problems to Ford. I was concerned the dealer would not do this, and I had taken many great shots with a DSLR macro lens, but the dealer advised they had to follow procedures Ford set and take photos themselves to submit.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
If you haven't heard anything in a month from Ford on this issue, it would appear you won't hear anything at all.
I hope you gotten a lawyer or the your state consumer affairs dept involved.
I see you are in Ohio, so I can tell you for pretty certain, in Ohio you are shit out of luck. I talked to several lawyers, and none of them would take a case until it was lemon law territory. But it turns out paint does not qualify you for a lemon law case under Ohio law - it has to be safety or mechanical related. Ford agreed to buy back my car with paint issues themselves, even though they did not have to, apparently. My dealer did work hard in my favor pressuring Ford to do the right thing, I believe that helped a lot.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Hope you get can this fixed to your satisfaction. Are the defects just on the hood roof and trunk or are they also on the doors/fenders?

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
How you get can this fixed to your satisfaction. Are the defects just on the hood roof and trunk or are they also on the doors/fenders?
Haven’t heard from OP in almost a month. Hopefully something positive has happened.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Did you ever get a answer yet?
I have a 2019 Mustang GT with same problem only had it for 8 days
took it to a Ford dealer today and they agreed with me dirt or dust in clear!! They have a appointment for the 21st to bring it back in and said they will try to wet sand and buff it but don't think that will fix it but have to do it first. Then it will be up to Ford to paint the whole car or replace it

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever get a answer yet?
I have a 2019 Mustang GT with same problem only had it for 8 days
took it to a Ford dealer today and they agreed with me dirt or dust in clear!! They have a appointment for the 21st to bring it back in and said they will try to wet sand and buff it but don't think that will fix it but have to do it first. Then it will be up to Ford to paint the whole car or replace it
That sucks but at least the dealer acknowledges that there is an issue. Let them do what they want but if the contaminants are in the clear coat they will have to remove it. I wouldn't have that on a brand new car. Best of luck!

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Buffing and sanding obviously removes more of the already thin material. This leaves you with minimal paint correction ability in the future. I'd only take the car back if it had the same paint thickness as another comparable car on their lot.

Sponsored

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Trust me I am not happy at all but not sure what else I can do,
The body guy from the way he was talking don't think it will fix it and if it takes most out said it may not look right!! It took me for ever to find this one bought it 2 1/2 hours away from my house because I wanted the showstop red interior, performance package, digital dash, and active exhaust. Now I wish I didn't put anything down on it but had saved up $28,000.00 and put it all down on it!!
I don't want the whole thing painted will never be the same would rather ford ship a replacement even if its a 2020 would pay the difference

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Sad part is my wife tried to get me to buy the white GT350 they had there but I just couldn't see paying the extra

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE
Had Mustang at dealership for 5 days they said they had to buff the car lol first step and of course it fixed nothing. they took like 50 photos of it. Now threw there Ford liaison everything has been sent to Ford stating the whole car needs painted to fix the problem!! And I don't want a new car that needs painted and that I want a replacement or them to buy it back!!!!!!
Fingers crossed hope I don't have to hire a lawyer because I hate paying them

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
How do these cars even get shipped to dealers? Do they not look at them before they roll out of the factory? And, what dealer would accept a car like that? Why didn't the dealer contact Ford and say "we can't sell a car that looks like this". The lack of honesty and integrity is just amazing. If you have to get a lawyer, it will cost you nothing. Ford will have to pay.

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
What ever happened to pride in manufacturing in America. These dicks are tarnishing the reputation of American made automobiles.
Sponsored