New Sync 3 Map Update

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Ford paperwork does state the engine has to be running (I am assuming to keep from killing the battery)
It also states you can drive during the update but some Sync/navigation features would be disabled until complete
A/c controls will work normally at this time
Fixed the images that didn't load on my last post
I have never ran the engine doing ANY updates, ever. Successfully done over USB and recently a full map update over wifi. Connect a battery tender and just keep hitting the start button when it times out.
Ford is covering all the bases by instructing to run the engine because there's going to be those people that will try and fail (even bricking their Sync module) with a weak battery or no charger.

The alternative is to drive the car and use it as you normally would. If you shut off the car, the update will pick up where it left off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have never ran the engine doing ANY updates, ever. Successfully done over USB and recently a full map update over wifi. Connect a battery tender and just keep hitting the start button when it times out.
Ford is covering all the bases by instructing to run the engine because there's going to be those people that will try and fail (even bricking their Sync module) with a weak battery or no charger.

The alternative is to drive the car and use it as you normally would. If you shut off the car, the update will pick up where it left off.
Just remember to turn off “auto off”.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium

I agree 100%, I have a 2.0a trickle charger I use during updates (or just in the garage parked).
I am just providing the Ford literature... and replying based on Fords recommendations.

tonys_gt500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Rapid Red GT500
I think this is the same one that I downloaded and installed in the beginning of August. When I tried to order it, I got an "order cannot be completed" message.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I downloaded it to my laptop while on vacation and now that I am back, maybe will move it to a USB drive and upload it this weekend.

Arcadia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Velocity Blue
Thats what I will do. Do you know if we can drive the car around for an hour during the update?
Yes, that’s what I did. Took a nice drive along the beach. Took a little over an hour. Has multiple restarts of the system so wait until you get the remove stick message that stays on. Have to do a restart at that point to get it to finalize.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
I think this is the same one that I downloaded and installed in the beginning of August. When I tried to order it, I got an "order cannot be completed" message.
Call 800-392-3673, they will fix it for you.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Yes, that’s what I did. Took a nice drive along the beach. Took a little over an hour. Has multiple restarts of the system so wait until you get the remove stick message that stays on. Have to do a restart at that point to get it to finalize.
Well I couldn't get the USB Thumb drive to start downloading so when I got home, I went into the cars settings, logged my car onto my home wifi and selected Auto Updates. The car wifi has been updating for about 15 minutes so far at a 3.5-4.0mbps download speed. Slowwww

Sponsored

Delusioned

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I updated sync to 3.4 and updated to the new map file 2 days ago, both via USB. Once the updates start, you can just drive around while it does it's thing. The sync update took like 15 min to install. The maps update took around an hour. Only thing to note beyond some stuff not working while the update installs, the entire system will reboot several times during the process, so if you are listening to music or whatever, that will cut off abruptly several times lol.

Arcadia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Velocity Blue
Well I couldn't get the USB Thumb drive to start downloading so when I got home, I went into the cars settings, logged my car onto my home wifi and selected Auto Updates. The car wifi has been updating for about 15 minutes so far at a 3.5-4.0mbps download speed. Slowwww
I could be wrong but I think the car only does the sync and not the maps. Could be you are downloading Sync 3.4. I believe the map requires Sync 3.4 to be loaded before it will allow you to update the maps. But I could be wrong - the memory is not as sharp as it used to be hahaha

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I could be wrong but I think the car only does the sync and not the maps. Could be you are downloading Sync 3.4. I believe the map requires Sync 3.4 to be loaded before it will allow you to update the maps. But I could be wrong - the memory is not as sharp as it used to be hahaha
It can do a map update over wifi. Mine did, but it took days. It wasn't something I needed to get done in a hurry. I just used my car like I normally would and parked it in the garage as usual.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Hi. The SYNC was my main concern to be updated. The Maps are just fine for the little driving I do. I never updated my SYNC since I bought and figured their might be some updates which will make thinks a little more useful. I really dont know what differences the Updated SYNC will offer to tell you the truth LOL. Thanks

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I updated sync to 3.4 and updated to the new map file 2 days ago, both via USB. Once the updates start, you can just drive around while it does it's thing. The sync update took like 15 min to install. The maps update took around an hour. Only thing to note beyond some stuff not working while the update installs, the entire system will reboot several times during the process, so if you are listening to music or whatever, that will cut off abruptly several times lol.
My SYNC took about an hour on my home wifi at 5ghz and 4-5mbps speed. Where did you get your new MAP from? is the first upgrade free from ford or do you purchase from a provider/ Thanks
Sponsored