Sponsored

My 17R is having engine replaced

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Welp.... sadly, i have to get my engine replaced due to oil consumption. I thought I was in the clear, as i had no issues with 15k miles on it. At 17k miles, after an oil change at just over 15k, i’m low 6 quarts.

I assume resale value takes a hit here. Not that i plan on selling it, but is there any kind of compensation for this? I purchased the baller’s maintenance package and the 100k warranty when i bought the car.

Did any of you get anything for this issue? I figured they would have had a fix for this by now. If it matters, i have HR875, 2017.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Search lots of posts on this. some got an extended warranty. I dont know how much a new engine will effect resale.

You went through 6 quarts in 2000 miles. Do you check your oil? How do you know you are down "6"? Who changed your oil last time?

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
That sucks... and the worst thing is, that number is almost one of the last 17R models. Crazy how 6 quarts could just disappear... that makes no sense.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I dont believe the numbers matching will matter unless you keep the car a very very long time

OP
OP

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Ford does all the oil changes as i have the maintenance package. I religiously checked my oil up to about 12k miles and figured i was good to go.

I took the car in because the AC was going out and i noticed my oil pressure guage was “floating” at idle. They took a look at that and checked the oil. Called me up and told me they had to replace the motor

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
OP
OP

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Ford does all the oil changes as i have the maintenance package. I religiously checked my oil up to about 12k miles and figured i was good to go.

I took the car in because the AC was going out and i noticed my oil pressure guage was “floating” at idle. They took a look at that and checked the oil. Called me up and told me they had to replace the motor
Im going to say Ford Fucked up the oil change. There is zero chance you went through 6 QTs with no prior history of consumption,leak,smoking, etc

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Im going to say Ford Fucked up the oil change. There is zero chance you went through 6 QTs with no prior history of consumption,leak,smoking, etc
Or the fact that oil pressure was fluctuating, maybe it started leaking at the sensor... known to happen. Either way, hard to make the 6qt disappear. Ford should go into Magic show biz HA!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Man, I gotta go with this for the time being. Not likenwe cant prove a strooonnngg track record of dealers f$&@ing up oil changes. I wouldn’t let them touch a damn thing until I topped off the oil and drove it a few thousand more miles to confirm.

And besides, I wouldn’t think they’d just on a whim go “yup, it’s low, let’s chsnge the engine”. Why are they not topping it off and doing a consumption test, which takes driving and time??

Give me my mother f$&@in car back! LOL, hahahahah.

Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Off topic, but very interesting that there are differences in the R spec motors. Does anyone know why that is, specifically for the type of different parts put on an R spec motor?
Yeah, they put some snake oil on the cams before assembling an 'R" engine, and do the Voodoo dance 3 times around it... bang 20 extra horsepower.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Yeah, they put some snake oil on the cams before assembling an 'R" engine, and do the Voodoo dance 3 times around it... bang 20 extra horsepower.
Or it could be, like the article says, that they do this....

"R-model Voodoo engines receive unique lash adjusters, VCT mechanisms and cam covers, and these engines carry code 151."

Which may be the reason that the engines in R models have this tag on the cam covers below the coil cover.....
GT350R Engine Tag.JPG

Edited to add quotation marks on the sentence from the article.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Welp.... sadly, i have to get my engine replaced due to oil consumption. I thought I was in the clear, as i had no issues with 15k miles on it. At 17k miles, after an oil change at just over 15k, i’m low 6 quarts.

I assume resale value takes a hit here. Not that i plan on selling it, but is there any kind of compensation for this? I purchased the baller’s maintenance package and the 100k warranty when i bought the car.

Did any of you get anything for this issue? I figured they would have had a fix for this by now. If it matters, i have HR875, 2017.
Buy back the original block. Someone on FB asked the dealer and was sold the replaced block for core, about 3k'ish. That's what I will do if it happens to me

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I have only seen one post where a guy was able to buy back the block if it was true. Ford won't let any one inside the engine and they want the old one back so no one will know whats really going on.
Sponsored