Sponsored

MY2018 GT350 - Engine replaced with Gen 1?

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R #KR666, 2023 Bronco Sasquatch
Hi everyone,

I'm picking up a used 2018 GT350 in a couple weeks and I couldn't be more excited. It's been a dream of mine for a long, long time to own one of these things.

I've done my homework with regards to engine failures, and all the unnecessary hysteria surrounding the topic. Unfortunately, the previous owner had to deal with an engine replacement which was performed in May of 2019 at ~5000 miles. The new engine has only around 1000 miles on it while it's waiting for me to pick it up in a couple weeks.

The only thing is, the engine was replaced with the Gen 1 version... Is this normal? I would assume they would replace it with the newer Gen 2 version, but I checked the nameplate on the engine and saw two builders.

I'm not necessarily concerned at all, I'm just wondering if that's normal for them to do. Powertrain warranty is active until March of 2024, and B2B will be extended to 2026.

In any case, words can't describe how thrilled I am (and my wife believe it or not) to have one of these in my garage soon.
Sponsored

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
The builder name plate would be the one from the original engine, they are not on the replacement but transferred from the old to the new.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, is that so? Good to know. So if it was replaced in mid to late 2019, it's safe to say it's a Gen 2? Are there any other ways of confirming it besides the name plate?
The replacements are long blocks (i.e. block and heads); the rest of your original parts complete the engine (provided they don't need replaced as well).

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Pull the coil cover on left side and the engine tag is toward the rear. Has a build date on it.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I see. From what I heard from the service manager at the dealer, the car came in 6-7 times over the span of 6 months for oil leak issues, fuel pressure issues.. and he just said "yes the engine was replaced" but was hesitant to give me any other details. Here's the information from OASIS:

CLAIMING 10 DAY Z08 RENTAL ASSISTANCE FOR ENGINE REPLACEMENT

CLAIMING 8 DAY CAAWA RENTAL ASSISTANCE

VEHICLE BROUGHT IN TO VERIFY CUSTOMER'S CONCERN. FOUND THAT THERE WAS A SLIGHT OIL LEAK FROM THE OIL COOLER LINES. VEHICLE SCANNED AND FOUND AND FOUND CODES FOR MISFIRE IN CYLINDER 5 AND 7.

VEHICLE BROUGHT IN TO VERIFY CUSTOMER'S CONCERN. FOUND THAT THE INTERIOR OIL PRESSURE GAUGE WAS NOT WORKING. SCANNED VEHICLE AND FOUND NO CODES RELATED TO THE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH. CHECKED WIRING DIAGRAM AND FOUND THAT VREF IS GOOD AND RETURN SIGNAL IS GOOD

VEHICLE BROUGHT IN AND SCANNED. FOUND CODE P0420. PERFORM PPT TEST, REPLACE CAT CONVERTER. WITH NEW GASKET AND EXHAUST NUTS. VEHICLE ROAD TESTED TO VERIFY REPAIR

ERIFIED CONCERN. CHECKED OASIS. A/C SYSTEMS DIAGNOSIS AND LEAK TEST. REPAIR O RING FIT IN THE HIGH PRESSURE LINE. (RE-CHARGE WITH .68KG OF R-134A)

VERIFIED CONCERN. CHECKED OASIS. PCM SELF TEST (FAULT CODE P0171 P0174). PERFORM PINPOINT TESTS H1-9. MONITORED THE FUEL PRESSURE (GOOD AT 55 PSI). BOTH FUEL TRIMS WERE AT 35%. SMOKE LEAK TEST THE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM FOR LEAKS. LEAK FOUND IN THE NIPPLE IN THE AIR CLEANER TUBE. REPLACE THE AIR CLEA
Only thing there of concern would be missfires on 5 and 7; not sure why the rest of the info was withheld.

Sponsored

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a vehicle history report and had a friend check OASIS. The vehicle history report (Carfax) doesn't have many service records after the engine was replaced, so I'm guessing everything is new. Pistons etc even (I hope).
Yea, the long block has everything that would be contained inside the block and the heads are complete. That is all new stuff, well, I suppose some of it could be re-man items.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
That's a lot of Canadian flags on that page neighbor :like:

"Gen2" engine will look like this when you pull coil cover on the driver's side
IMG_0274.jpg