Sponsored

MT82 or A10? Your thoughts...

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Just go test drive both. Its that simple. What one person likes you may not....regardless if they owned a Poshe (yes I spelled it correctly) before hand.

Only then will you know. Good luck.
Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I guess will never completely understand why Ford didn't put a tremec in every tier mustang. Gm did it in their camaro’s and corvettes. Ford cheaped out on us and gave us an issue plagued Chinese pos Mt82 transmission. Its the reason why i went auto. If they offered a tremec on the regular gt’s i’d be driving one now and so would alot more auto owners. The fact that they only put tremec’s in the upper tier mustangs and didn’t care about the average guy who cant afford those cars proves my point. There’s still a class action lawsuit going on to this day in regards to the Mt82 transmission. You guys will be getting a $$check$$ soon!
I've had 2 MT82 transmissions......one in my 2014 GT with ZERO complaints in 45K miles and now in my 2019 GT Vert that I've accumulated 22K miles in and again ZERO PROBLEMS......so maybe it's just a few early models that tainted the MT82's reputation??:sunglasses:

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
The internet tainted the MT82, just like it has for the coyote ticks and rattles.

People who never had/would have a problem are convinced it is seconds away from blowing up because they read it on the internet. And then it gets repeated, and repeated.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Before you start telling me that i don't know how to drive a manual , my mt82 failed multiple times until i just said i’m done with this pos. I went with a Tremec magnum xl transmission. And life was sweet again. I let my mt82 buddies drive the Tremec trans in my car.. they came back with grins saying “sweet, thats the way its supposed to be”. When its right you just know it, and when its wrong its obvious. There is no current class action lawsuit against Tremec nor has their ever been..that should tell you something..As I said you guys will be getting a check soon, you gonna tell me your not gonna cash it?.. lol good luck with your Chinese experiment...

https://www.classaction.org/news/20...by-mt82-transmission-defect-class-action-says

Last edited:

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
EVERY vehicle.....especially from Ford.....is an "EXPERIMENT" these days!! :crazy:

Your Tremec is probably better and stronger than my MT82 but what I have suits my driving style which is more laid back and enjoyable these days!!:wink:

'Nuf said by me........for now!!:)

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Ok, I had a 2015 GT premium A6 and traded into a 2018 porsche cayman GTS.

My porsche 7 spd DCT auto in sport mode is heaven.
I'm racing a 2019 GT 301A A10 PP1. I bought it new off the dealer lot drove it for 300miles tested it 2 sessions at a trackday and then gutted and welded in my cage. It has had 5 races on it so far. I had a 2017 718 cayman PDK. The PDK is faster but under race conditions harder to keep cool than the A10. The A10 is very fast and almost the best automatic with paddels I have driven. Street A10 use everything you say is right. I do not know about how the A10 learns but mine only knows race conditions with all nannies off. I'm very happy with the A10. I have heal toe downshift with left foot brake for decades. The A10 is faster than I am. Some turns I can get an extra shift in and the 10 speeds means I have more optimized gearing than just 6 or 7 gears even with the HP/Torque of the v8. For the ecoboost I would think mandatory but don't know never driven one. Problem with racing PDK is cost to repair, computers needed, cooling for racing, on track failures. The A10 is an automatic slushbox that is 95% of the PDK at 95% less hassle the guy at Ammco can fix. I can buy a whole new crate A10 for the cost of 4 sets of race tires. I consume that just racing the Runoffs at the end of the season. IMO manuals have all the charm of a dial telephone. That said I have one 6 speed Ferrari left and they can bury me in it.

As a sidenote the Supra 8 speed slushbox is so PDK! It is amazing. BMW pioneered the high pressure fast shifting automatics around the time of their early DCT's. Their autos have been getting better and better. I can say that the supra auto is as good as any DCT and I do not see why anyone would want the DCT after driving the supra autobox unless they like flushing potential money down the toilet. I also don't understand why GM did not modify the A10 for the C8 vette. There have been quite a number of DCT problems in the new C8. I would not be surprised if the A10 ends up in the C8 in the future. If given the choice now C8 A10 (camaro ZL1 programing or better) or C8 DCT 7 speed I'd go with the A10. The ZL1 program of the A10 is better than Ford's programing IMO for track use.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
For the majority of drivers i would say they have no issues with mt82 and maybe there are some exaggerations on the internet. I had a 13 gt with mt82. Initially no issues except cold shifting, so i changed to redline fluid. Then added tune changing redline from 6,800 to 7,200, at which point clutch pedal stayed on floor randomly and shifting a little more difficult, changed clutch pedal spring. Then i added Whipple and raised redline to 7,400 and would routinely loose 3rd gear engagement. I initially upgraded rear shifter support, changed upper shifter, blowfish then finally MGW, best option at the time. After my first road course session i seperated the clutch from the brake resevoir, because of soft pedal with time on track. Finally got it where i could be confident that every shift would be positive and smoother. Sold car at 33,000 miles so not sure about durability.

So take aways for me with gen 1 mt82, the syncro package is not sufficient when pushed, the shifter design is marginal and the clutch (including actuation mechanisms) has a hard time keeping up with higher redlines, which also effects shifting. I hear the new mustang mt82 package is better.

My Cobra Replica has a TKO600, i can say that it may be a stronger trans with a better shifter, but shifting is not 100% smooth either. And it sure made it hard going from 6sp daily driver to 5sp weekend car. A couple of times i tried to shift Cobra into 6th gear, not fun!

I now have a 19 gt pp1 magneride with A10. Ten speeds is definetly an advantage and the paddle shifters significantly adds, not a DCT, but good enough. The A10 is not perfect and you do need to intervene occassionaly. Now if the A10 was not available, i probably would have gone with the newer mt82. Good advise to drive both and make up your own mind, and wuth A10 remember to try paddles!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't think anyone seriously disputes that the A10 is better l, but I genuinely like the newer MT82. Its still likely less reliable than a Tremec, but active rev match is awesome and its paired with one of the best factory clutches I've ever driven in terms of smoothness.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Appreciate your thoughts coming from a former cayman owner. My gts is stock and i got a 3.6 0 to 60 on my dragy. Yeah, AE ain't great on a turbo 4...sounds like a subaru. But, the dct does keep it in the rpm's so at least there is always an exhaust note. Worried the A10 in sport+ won't be music to my ears unless i am pushing it.
I have a 2015 Boxter GTS with the PDK which is awesome (and I love) but if I did it again I would have gotten the 6 speed. Waited for the GT500 but when they only offered the DCT I changed my mind. Just like the engaged feeling of changing gears myself! Wouldn’t even considered the 10 speed.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
As a sidenote the Supra 8 speed slushbox is so PDK! It is amazing. BMW pioneered the high pressure fast shifting automatics around the time of their early DCT's. Their autos have been getting better and better. I can say that the supra auto is as good as any DCT and I do not see why anyone would want the DCT after driving the supra autobox unless they like flushing potential money down the toilet.

That's interesting, since I see that the new '21 BMW M3/4 is a manual on the "base" model, and an 8-speed automatic on the Competition flavor, i.e., it's __not__ a DCT like previous models (assuming that all the initial press material saying "automatic" means, not-a-DCT ... which was a 7-speed last year).

(Since the Supra is basically a BMW, figuring that new M transmission is based on the same unit in the Supra)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
As I said you guys will be getting a check soon, you gonna tell me your not gonna cash it?.. lol good luck with your Chinese experiment.
Do you have an idea how much Chinese parts are in your 'American' car? You'd be surprised. Ha ha. And it's not the Chinese, but what Ford tells them to do, as an FYI :).

In theory, Getrag is a better brand than Tremec. And I actually prefer the MT-82 D4 on my Bullitt, than the 3 Tremecs I've owned on my Corvettes and GTO. Don't understand why Ford didn't fix it earlier. Or correctly in 2018, since they had a lot of issues with the shift forks (not welded properly). But my late 2019 tranny is actually pretty nice, like many others have said. Yes, I wish it was a Graziano, but not bad at all.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah well none of those other parts you talk of have class action lawsuits against them..

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I have a 2015 Boxter GTS with the PDK which is awesome (and I love) but if I did it again I would have gotten the 6 speed. Waited for the GT500 but when they only offered the DCT I changed my mind. Just like the engaged feeling of changing gears myself! Wouldn’t even considered the 10 speed.
OP here, 2018 cayman gts owner. Yes, the pdk is perfection! But I love shifting the gears even more in my just acquired 2020 PP2 velocity blue GT. The A10 was nothing close to the pdk so I went PP2. To me, 10 gears in an auto muscle car is way too many gears. Yes, the A10 is quick in a straight line, but the pdk was always within 1 gear of the right gear for any driving in sport mode. The A10 got me into 7, 8. 9 way too early if I wasn't into the throttle. I am always 1 downshift away from more power in the pdk. The A10 at times was 2 to 3 downshift from power even in sport mode. Maybe it was the 2 cars I test drove, but wasn't a fan of the A10...

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
OP here, 2018 cayman gts owner. Yes, the pdk is perfection! But I love shifting the gears even more in my just acquired 2020 PP2 velocity blue GT. The A10 was nothing close to the pdk so I went PP2. To me, 10 gears in an auto muscle car is way too many gears. Yes, the A10 is quick in a straight line, but the pdk was always within 1 gear of the right gear for any driving in sport mode. The A10 got me into 7, 8. 9 way too early if I wasn't into the throttle. I am always 1 downshift away from more power in the pdk. The A10 at times was 2 to 3 downshift from power even in sport mode. Maybe it was the 2 cars I test drove, but wasn't a fan of the A10...
My dad had a '10 Boxster S, absolute beast!

Then I learned manual and then I'd of been happy with a '92 civic hatch, as after awhile, you wanna be more involved than just pulling paddles or tiptronic
Sponsored