Sponsored

MT82 or A10? Your thoughts...

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Ok, I had a 2015 GT premium A6 and traded into a 2018 porsche cayman GTS. The GTS has been a lot of fun, but I miss the V8 torque and HP. I am looking at getting back into a 2020 GT premium. Landed on 401A, magnaride, active exhaust and GT performance pack. I've test driven an A10 and was a bit undewhelmed. In normal mode, it jumped to the highest gear asap and left me feeling like I wasn't driving a performance car. In sport +, it was better, but still kind of lacking (again, jumping into 7, 8, 9, 10th quickly) unless I was at 80% + throttle. Felt like the transmission is designed for fuel economy versus performance. Maybe it was becuase the car only had 37 miles on it and the transmission needs to "learn" my diriving habits???

My porsche 7 spd DCT auto in sport mode is heaven. Always 1 gear away from pure bliss when I want to use the paddles to downshift for more power. Because it's a turbo 4, the auto transmission hangs in the higher RPM range in sport mode which is amazing for exhaust note and power. On my demo drives with the A10 (normal mode), it felt like i had to downshift 3 or 4 gears using the paddels to get into a high RPM gear. Felt pretty much the same in sport + mode unless I was at 80% plus throttle. Maybe the car is in "learning mode" due to the low mileage and will get better with time? How's the sport+ mode once you get past the learning mode? Will it get better at keeping the car in a higher RPM versus jumping to a high gear quickly with less than high throttle? During my test drive felt like it was desinged for fuel economy and not performance, even in sport +. There was also some hesitation as the car was unsure whether it should shift up or down, not sure if this is normal for a new car?

Should I go for a manual? Is the A10 going to leave me wanting a more connected feel to the car even in sport+ or track mode? Insights apprecaited! The A10 felt kinda indecisive and too many gears for a connected feel. I know it hauls ass in a straight line, but the "connected" feel wasn't there with a low mileage car on the lot. Is it going to get "better" or do I just need to go for a manual for the "connected" feel?

Thoughts?

PS- i won't track it or take it to the strip. Wont do street racing. I do enjoy "spirited" driving!!! Probably do a tune and run e85 and leave it at that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The A10 definitely improves with mileage and use, as it does need to learn some things. With that said, its never gonna feel as nice as a DCT. Its really fast and good at WOT and granny driving to the grocery store, but in between those zones it will probably never quite satisfy you.

The manual is what I chose and I really enjoy the feel of the newer MT82. But it does make the car slower.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I had a 2016 Cayman GTS with PDK, and it's probably the best automated transmission in the market... but it's no manual (that's why I sold it). And the Ford TQ A10, even less. I'd go with the manual all day long... but that depends on YOU. As it was just mentioned, it makes the car slower, but probably on par with your Cayman. So if you were okay with your Cayman's performance, you should be fine with a manual Coyote. And the engine sound is just amazing with AE. Even better than my Cayman with its NA H6 with sport exhaust... and probably ten times better than yours. Ha ha. You definitely need to drive one first. You'll know right there if th car 'talked to you' or not :). Good luck.

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I had a 2016 Cayman GTS with PDK, and it's probably the best automated transmission in the market... but it's no manual (that's why I sold it). And the Ford TQ A10, even less. I'd go with the manual all day long... but that depends on YOU. As it was just mentioned, it makes the car slower, but probably on par with your Cayman. So if you were okay with your Cayman's performance, you should be fine with a manual Coyote. And the engine sound is just amazing with AE. Even better than my Cayman with its NA H6 with sport exhaust... and probably ten times better than yours. Ha ha. You definitely need to drive one first. You'll know right there if th car 'talked to you' or not :). Good luck.
Appreciate your thoughts coming from a former cayman owner. My gts is stock and i got a 3.6 0 to 60 on my dragy. Yeah, AE ain't great on a turbo 4...sounds like a subaru. But, the dct does keep it in the rpm's so at least there is always an exhaust note. Worried the A10 in sport+ won't be music to my ears unless i am pushing it.

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
The A10 definitely improves with mileage and use, as it does need to learn some things. With that said, its never gonna feel as nice as a DCT. Its really fast and good at WOT and granny driving to the grocery store, but in between those zones it will probably never quite satisfy you.

The manual is what I chose and I really enjoy the feel of the newer MT82. But it does make the car slower.
Hey, you described it well. WOT and granny both were good on my test drive. The in between driving was meh, thats where i was really hoping the A10 got better with time and miles. Trying to track down a guy that has an A10 with 10k miles on it to see if i can drive his.

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
If your goal is going down the 1320 quick get the 10 speed DCT.......but if you like the feel of a Sports car that you are connected with......the 6-speed manual would be my suggestion!! :wink:

I love rowing through the gears in mine.....even if I'm not lightning fast with smooth shifts!!:crazy:

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
If you are going to drag race it, then the A10 is faster. For me, the 6 speed is much preferred. You ALWAYS know what the gear selection is with a manual. Automatics think for themselves and you might not always agree with it.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Worried the A10 in sport+ won't be music to my ears unless i am pushing it.
My Bullitt sounds incredible in sport mode at basically any rpm; you absolutely need to get AE. Anyway, I typically drive it between 2 to 4K rpm, and the throttle-blip downshifts (either by yourself or with rev-match) sound fantastic too... but you won't have that with an auto. Having said that, I've ALWAYS driven my automatic and DCT cars exclusively with the paddles. If you plan to drive in D, it doesn't sound like an enjoyable driving experience, but that's just me:). But maybe paddling thru 10 gears would be a bit much. You need to drive both, and decide for yourself. Good luck.

If your goal is going down the 1320 quick get the 10 speed DCT
GTs don't have a DCT, as an FYI. Only the new GT500s. It's a regular torque-converter 10-sp auto.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
If it’s a daily driver, I would definitely go the Auto. It’s not as good as the twin clutch but it’s pretty good. In saying that I understand why you would be underwhelmed by the performance in normal mode. I only use this mode while the car is cold or in peak hour traffic. Most of the time I’m in Sport + or full manual mode but I miss not being able to change gears with the gear stick in full manual mode like you can with the DSG/PDK’s etc

Sponsored

Outlawtorn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Auto does rev match on down shifts, quite aggressively in sport +. I cycle between sport and paddle mode mostly... Have lever in sport and when the need arises use the paddles...then its flicks into paddle only mode and only shifts when I do....Then if I feel I want full auto I just push the gear lever forward into drive (where it locks out) and again, if wanting to be aggressive, pull it back into sport..

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Subbing.....

Last edited:

camelfarmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hussain
Vehicle(s)
None
If it’s a daily driver, I would definitely go the Auto. It’s not as good as the twin clutch but it’s pretty good. In saying that I understand why you would be underwhelmed by the performance in normal mode. I only use this mode while the car is cold or in peak hour traffic. Most of the time I’m in Sport + or full manual mode but I miss not being able to change gears with the gear stick in full manual mode like you can with the DSG/PDK’s etc
I have always driven manuals as daily drivers. Its not really a hardship.

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
Traded my 2019 A10 for a 20 M6. The A 10 is much quicker but the manual is much more entertaining for me. Figured at 70 years old, I don’t have that much time left to enjoy a car like the Mustang.

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
I have a mt 82 and my buddy has a tuned a10. Is the a10 faster? Yea most likely. But i hate the feeling. Never happy in a gear. Shifts are all over the place unless you are wot. Was not a fan. Mt 82 all day.
Sponsored