NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
these aren't immersed or splashed bearings then? Open cage normally implies 'washing' or immersion. Otherwise the bearing itself would be sealed.
Yes, you are correct, they are sealed. I didn’t take pics of the bearings after I reinstalled the seals, but will take some once prior to pressing them into the casings.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Prior to installing the bearings in the case halves, I conducted a quick test by spraying brake and parts cleaner into the -6AN fittings to see what the spray pattern might look like when the pump is active and pumping oil to the forward gears.

Next, all three bearings were installed in their respective case halves. This went way easier than I had anticipated. Heat was my friend here. I heated each bearing bore to 220F (could have gone as high as 248F according to the Service Manual) and literally dropped the bearings into their bores and they seated themselves instantly. Once that was done, I installed the bearing retainer screws and torqued them to 27 lb-ft.

2E2B2A07-39EE-4E7A-842B-5C834955B189.jpeg

6B8F3132-0116-4E0B-A3E5-6CDD140550CC.jpeg

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I received the new gears from CTP/WPC today and I’m happy to say, they arrived in perfect condition. It was an unfortunate setback, but as stated earlier, they took care of a bad situation by purchasing the new gears and applying both treatments to them. They also WPC’d the 5 synchro rings again.

I have to admit that the overall grade has increased from 7.75 to an 8.75. The work on the parts looks amazing. I hope everything in the transmission holds up to the type of use that it will be subjected to. Stay tuned for further assembly updates.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Man, I swear 4th gear and 5th gear on the countershaft are super stubborn! I pressed 5th on as far as I could and suddenly heard a slight pop (yep, just like I had heard before during disassembly), so I stopped. I immediately opened the bottle jack‘s bleed valve on the shop press to relieve the hydraulic pressure. A quick inspection revealed a very small chip on the side of one tooth. I then decided to use 4th gear to try a two for one (drive 5th home and seat 4th as well). While the 4th gear collar touched the 5th gear collar as it should, that was as far as it was going. Now neither gear is budging. I tried canned air to cool the shaft quickly, pressed some more, flipped the countershaft upside down and pressed some more, but they still aren’t budging. I have about .0650 to go before both gears are properly seated. I’m open for suggestions on what to try at this point, as I’m literally stuck.

C0FF01CD-DB83-48DF-9EAD-E62C32A9306E.jpeg

B4662BA9-3509-4DD2-81B2-275508BB521D.jpeg

A116A7AB-5B72-4003-BA68-542386D83FCE.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
did you happen to mic the bore/shaft before assembly to see to what degree they are interference fit? Do you have the engineering spec+tolerance on these parts? I'm assuming your treatments were not depository by nature?

I would throw it all into a freezer and then drizzle wicking Break-Free and try to pop it back off.

What are you using to equally distribute the force around the root of the entire gear?
Does the install procedure involve shaft-locking LocTite?

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have to say that I really do believe the Cryo and WPC helped prevent the actual loss of another tooth. Now, if I could just figure out the best approach on getting these gears on without any more hurdles, the rest should go much more smoothly.

I’ve been worried about 4th and 5th gears the entire time:; seriously dreading pressing them onto the countershaft, for fear of running into some sort of trouble.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
did you happen to mic the bore/shaft before assembly to see to what degree they are interference fit? Do you have the engineering spec+tolerance on these parts? I'm assuming your treatments were not depository by nature?

I didn’t do any of that.

I would throw it all into a freezer and then drizzle wicking Break-Free and try to pop it back off.

Would freezing them be enough to free them up with thr penetrating oil? I’d hate to remove them again, as that may lead to more trouble . I may need access to a 50 ton press to send them home the remaining .0650 in.

What are you using to equally distribute the force around the root of the entire gear?

I have press plates and a bearing puller. I was using the bearing puller when the chip occurred.

Does the install procedure involve shaft-locking LocTite?

The install doesn‘t call for loctite.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
If it were mine I would pack it in dry ice for a short time then apply pressure to the gears while heating the collar of the gears with a heat gun. I don't expect it to work but it is easier, quicker, and less $$ than a trip to the 50 ton press.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I finally got that muthaducka! It took me going to buy a 20 ton press today to persuade that gear to take a seat. Thank God that part is over with. Really, something bigger than a 20 ton would be nice for those just in case moments, but it did the job (barely tho).

FYI, I had to stand the countershaft on its end to press the gear home. I used the broken 4th gear (the one with all the missing teeth), to serve as a spacer/pusher, so that I wouldn’t damage the new 4th gear. Looking back on it, I should have done that when I installed 5th gear too and I wouldn’t have caused that minor chip on the inside of that tooth. I don’t think I’m going to mess with it, as it doesn’t appear that it will even be an issue. I’ll just let the normal meshing of the gears wear it down.

Looking forward to some of the easier stuff. Gonna knock it off for tonight and pick it back up soon.

I didn’t take a pic of how I had it set up in the new press, but I did take one when it was in the old 12 ton press.

C7590E30-1E7A-48EC-BE31-DF25F4C2FBE3.jpeg

AB8FA10D-C1FA-4E95-82D9-9D0E58D7EDF7.jpeg

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This is what I have left to install. I‘m excited to install these parts after that intense fighting with those two gears on the countershaft. Any further press work should be fairly easy from this point on.

2AE63352-3937-4E14-BA1D-8DDCA090AEAF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Awesome to see it all coming together!!
Yessir! I cant wait to get it finished up. It’s been a long process, but I’m hoping it’ll be worth the time, effort and money. I don’t even want to begin to think about what if it’s not, lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: