Sponsored

MT-82 Second Gear Grind/Pop-Out

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I know people have reported a second gear lockout at higher RPM but something I have noticed that started a couple weeks ago.

On my initial drive of the day, so right after the cold start, my car has developed a tendency for 2nd to grind and/or pop out. The weird thing is that is the only time I have experienced it - just after the cold start.

I do let the car warm up and idle down for several minutes until I pull out of my garage so I am not just starting it up and hammering it. Even after I get out onto the roads I don't rip on it right away.
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Ditch the factory fluid in the MT82 for the BG stuff or Royal Purple. The RP made a big difference in how my car shifted and that was when it was only a few months old.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Motul Multi DCTF and don’t look back.

BG SyncroShift II, is a proven product but I say Motul DCTF has the cold weather advantage. Plus Motul DCTF was engineered for 1200 HP track GTR’s

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before I got a chance to change the fluid it started doing it more frequently.

Yesterday it did it three times. Once in the morning - once on the way home after work and then I let it sit for two hours and took it back out and it did it again.

I dropped it off at Ford this morning. I have a feeling that it is the shift fork and/or synchros.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update;

It’s the synchros at least for sure. I road tested it with the heavy line tech today and it popped out. New transmission on the way.

Fun times. This is annoying. 6000 miles and it’s toast.

Sponsored

Taylor1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have issues with 2nd locking up? To the point where you couldn’t even get it into 2nd? Im about where you are, 10k miles and I can’t get it into 2nd gear 20% of the time. Ill take a new tranny at this point. It is annoying, but my dealer is just saying it feels fine when they drive it.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have issues with 2nd locking up? To the point where you couldn’t even get it into 2nd? Im about where you are, 10k miles and I can’t get it into 2nd gear 20% of the time. Ill take a new tranny at this point. It is annoying, but my dealer is just saying it feels fine when they drive it.
No sir - no lock out. It drove fine as far as I was concerned. Nothing made me think that it was about to grenade on me. It whines a little bit in first at low speed but not loud or to the point where I thought anything was wrong. The shifts felt short and tight - I love how it feels in comparison to the older Mustangs.

It just started popping out of second one morning. At first I thought I didn’t have the clutch all the way down or something after the first time bc it only happened once after startup for an entire day.

Now it pops out more frequently. I drove it today for a few minutes and was messing with it, shifting into second slowly and keeping my hand on the shifter with light pressure to feel it and it wanted to pop out most of the time. So I went first to third for most of my drive.

Originally when I mentioned my issue to Ford they kinda said well let us know if it keeps happening. It did. So I took it in and the advisor rode with me and it didn’t kick out of gear. I left it there overnight and went back and had the tech ride with me and it snapped out of gear when I first shifted. He looked at me and said “yeah your synchros are toast”.

I’d recommend taking it back to them or even to another dealer if you have another reasonably close.

Edited to add - several times it would get stuck in reverse and I’d have to really yank on it to get it out. That would happen when backing into my garage.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for posting this. Also thanks for all your information you’ve posted in a lot of the threads.

I’m wondering if I’m going to end up having to open a case with Ford. I really don’t want them cracking mine open and rebuilding - I’d prefer a new trans altogether. With only 5000 miles I wouldn’t think that to be unreasonable to request.

I’m also preparing to be without it for 3-4wks and hope I can get a payment reimbursement from Ford.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Thank you for posting this. Also thanks for all your information you’ve posted in a lot of the threads.

I’m wondering if I’m going to end up having to open a case with Ford. I really don’t want them cracking mine open and rebuilding - I’d prefer a new trans altogether. With only 5000 miles I wouldn’t think that to be unreasonable to request.

I’m also preparing to be without it for 3-4wks and hope I can get a payment reimbursement from Ford.
Rise from the grave old thread.

Im having the exact same problem. Second grinds/pops out in my 2019.

Did you get yours fixed under warranty? They fight you on it? Give a payment reimbursement?

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

Did you get yours fixed under warranty? They fight you on it? Give a payment reimbursement?
I had to have my transmission replaced for this issue. Gear and syncros were bad. Since yours is newer, I'd definitely push for warranty replacement but don't get your hopes up.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd

Update;

It’s the synchros at least for sure. I road tested it with the heavy line tech today and it popped out. New transmission on the way.

Fun times. This is annoying. 6000 miles and it’s toast.
That's the same millage when I had mine replaced on my 2019. Same issues,symptoms. It was no hassle to get it replaced. As long as it's an issue that can be reproduced they will warrant it.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the same millage when I had mine replaced on my 2019. Same issues,symptoms. It was no hassle to get it replaced. As long as it's an issue that can be reproduced they will warrant it.
Thats good to hear. Im at 17k

Problem is every ford dealer around me is booked up atleast 2 weeks out..

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
My 19 gts synchros were toast on the 2nd and 3rd gears, trans has 12k on it 6k of them supercharged. My problem is nobody has replacement parts that I need, 2nd and 3rd gear and synchros. It's at a trans shop now and has been for 3 weeks, dealer says they have no eta on the parts. I know calimer has the parts I need but he will only sell you a full built trans not parts. He said it's so bad right now ford is sending him mt82s to fix. I am trying to buy a good used spare to have as I believe I will continue to have problems

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 19 gts synchros were toast on the 2nd and 3rd gears, trans has 12k on it 6k of them supercharged. My problem is nobody has replacement parts that I need, 2nd and 3rd gear and synchros. It's at a trans shop now and has been for 3 weeks, dealer says they have no eta on the parts. I know calimer has the parts I need but he will only sell you a full built trans not parts. He said it's so bad right now ford is sending him mt82s to fix. I am trying to buy a good used spare to have as I believe I will continue to have problems
Damn. This is my DD i can't afford that. They are covering it though? I also couldn't find parts. I have debated re building it myself as i have done a few trans in the past and doing it with better internals and clutch but can't find any internals for 18+. I thought about reaching out to calimer about parts but guess that is scrapped.
Sponsored