dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Hi guys,

I noticed a strange sound when shifting into and out of 3rd and 4th gear.
The transmission is a MT82-D4 on a MY2020 mustang and I have driven it up to about 1800 miles. This is happening in cold and warmed up state.

I have never heard this on any manual car before. Any idea what is causing it ? There is no abnormal gear noise while driving.

I made a video, so it is clear what I am taking about:

https://streamable.com/k18538
Sponsored

Attachments

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
The first suspect on my list is the shifter, not the transmission. Are you running the stock shifter?

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I haven't done any mods to transmission or engine so far. Since the car is under warranty I want to clear up if this is a technical problem before I swap in the MGW shifter.

I got a service appointment tomorrow and I hope it is just the shifter. Maybe new transmission oil might help but when I received the car the dealer said that it is not good to swap out the oil too soon from a brand new car.

Also, I had a look at the transmission assembly layout and there is actually one spring inside (first arrow).

1618129617637.png

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
Please let us know what you find out after your service appointment and best of luck to you.

While you are at the dealership please inquire as to why changing the lubricant in the gearbox early in its service life is not recommended. I'd love to hear what they have to say about that.

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, sure, I will ask them for mode details.
Back in November when I received the car they said during break-in period it is not advised to swap lubricants like engine, transmission and diff fluid. I intend to get a sample from the lubricants used from factory before the first change, not that is matters much but I am curious about it.

As a side note: The second reason for the visit is battery life which appears a little low after only 5 months. The voltage drops from 14v below 12volts after just one night (with or without battery management system enabled). I already had a wrench symbol shown in instrument cluster several times due to components rebooting from low voltage. So I do expect to get a replacement unit.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I would think BG is a no brainier for the gear box.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
BG is good and Red Line DCTF might be a little better but I Ford shops will only use their DCTF??

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
I just had an appointment at a dealer for a similar issue. I've been under the car on jack stands trying to locate the source for a clunking. I found two sources. One appears to be excessive gear lash in the rear end. I can turn the driveshaft with my hand and everything from the trans to the yoke in the dif is tight, no play. But there is play in the dif, about 3 to 4 degrees of rotation before engagement. I can turn the shaft one way and then turn it back and get a loud clunk every time. I know there is supposed to be some play, but just seems too much. Of course the dealer disagreed. The other clunk is coming from a damper/counterweight that is attached to a shaft coming out of the side of the trans, I believe on the passenger side. It's a pretty large piece and moves back and forth every time you shift gears. It's very wobbly and makes noise with every shift. Easy to find if you're under the car and have somebody shifting gears to show the movement. The dealer did bring in a new manual car for comparison and put it on the lift and allowed me to be under it with the mechanic and the new one was exactly like mine, same slop in rear end and same wobbly damper. I hate the noise, people hear it and ask wtf is that noise? But, just gonna have to learn to live with it.

Reactions: dx2

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BG is good and Red Line DCTF might be a little better but I Ford shops will only use their DCTF??

Ford tell you that, could be some kind of business relationship.

As in oil, using BG and knowing the product will stick with it.

Only use the gear lube, so not drinking the Koo-laid.

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Admittedly that clunk sound does appears sometimes when shifting from neutral into 1st, let's say about 1 out of 10 times. Nothing I am worrying about, right now.

I just wrote an email message in regard to the lubricant question. The dealer mostly likely will have given an answer by tomorrow evening.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How does the car drive, you're shifting a gearbox that is static.

It is designed to be rotating. The sycros alien the gears to mesh ??

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I've used BG and Red Line and both are better than Ford's OEM "Koo-laid"....and IMHO Red Line is better for reducing cold 3rd gear nibble!!:thumbsup:

I'm guessing Ford Service facilities are bound to used Ford products......so I'm not sure of your point if there is one Red??🤔

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've used BG and Red Line and both are better than Ford's OEM "Koo-laid"....and IMHO Red Line is better for reducing cold 3rd gear nibble!!:thumbsup:

I'm guessing Ford Service facilities are bound to used Ford products......so I'm not sure of your point if there is one Red??🤔

There is none you like what you use, I prefer what I use .............. very simple

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
How does the car drive, you're shifting a gearbox that is static.

It is designed to be rotating. The sycros alien the gears to mesh ??
While driving I do not get any real problems. These are my experiences while driving:
  • In gerneal shifting seems ok. When transmission gets warm 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th gear feel notchy (comparing shifting to daily car), will go away with mgw shifter.
  • The Rev hang prevents quicker shifts -> Nothing I would do about it since it is by design and related to emission reduction.
  • When shifting too quickly from 1st to 2nd, sometimes I hear some noise that appears like the 1st gear was not 100% disengaged. Clutch pedal is down and no throttle, so not sure what it is. Might be inertia of some transmission components or it's clutch related, I've really no idea here.
  • Sometimes 1st gear is not going into gear from stand (cold or warm), so I have to push it harder into gear -> Might be normal when syncro gear is not aligned.
  • Also as chesster51 mentioned: sometimes I hear a clunk when shifting into 1st gear (clutch pedal 100% down) ->
In essence, the transmission feels ok except a few quirks.

My plan is as follows:
1) Wait for tomorrow for what the dealership says:
1a) If the answer is 'nothing to worry about' -> order MGW shifter.
1b) 'somethings wrong' -> let them fix it, and after problem is fixed -> order MGW shifter.
2) Install Steeda hydraulic clutch line
3) Drive a few more miles / kilometers, then swap gear lubricant ( BG Syncroshift II or Red Line DCTF)

For me Mach 1 with Tremec is out of the questions with a price difference of 14k. Curious about what the S650 will be.
Sponsored