Motor trouble at Gingerman

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
My 3rd OTD and I blew the motor. Track night in America at Gingerman. Motor coughed up a lot of oil out the intake. After it cooled down it would not restart. Towed home 3 hours. :crying: Blown piston Rings maybe?

The car (2015 GT PP - MT6) has 12,000 miles.
- GT350 JLT
- GT350 Throttle Body
- GT350 intake manifold
- Innovators West balancer
- TSS oil pump gears
- TSS Crankshaft Sprocket Gear
- Lund Tune for 93
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Almost seems like it happened on one of your last rev match downshifts towards the end there.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
93 tune may have been too hot for temperatures and extended wot. How much timing in the tune? What fuel?

OP
OP
tevaburns

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
93 tune may have been too hot for temperatures and extended wot. How much timing in the tune? What fuel?
Lund 93 tune, Speedway 93 gas. I think I spend too much time in high RPM land.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Lund 93 tune, Speedway 93 gas. I think I spend too much time in high RPM land.
I am willing to bet it is valve train related. Some very reputable guys have talked about the shortcomings of coyote valve train at extended high Rpm. They talked about limiting tack use Rpm to around 7k for extended runs.

How many track hours were on the engine?

OP
OP
tevaburns

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I am willing to bet it is valve train related. Some very reputable guys have talked about the shortcomings of coyote valve train at extended high Rpm. They talked about limiting tack use Rpm to around 7k for extended runs.

How many track hours were on the engine?
Maybe 6 hours on Road Courses, a few hours on Strip. This was my first time at Gingerman and the track layout had me always at the top of 3rd.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here is a thread that might have some information.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gen2-or-gen3-for-dedicated-track-car.116981/#post-2511605

I would guess your problem is in the heads.

I was going to mention to the OP about possibility of dropped valves - but that was more of an issue when the GEN 3 Coyote 5.0 debuted in the 2018’s - there were quite a few threads on here with owners posting about their brand new 18’s suddenly dropping valves even with just normal driving under no major engine loads.

I would not expect it in the OP’s case since according to his side profile he has a 2015 GT.

Were there any such issues with the 2015’s? If there were, I don’t recall any such posts from the early S550 5.0 owners on this site.

Not that it’s not possible, just saying dropped valves were more prevalent when the 2018’s were first hitting the streets.

I’m guessing that the OP’s Coyote at those sustained RPM’s shattered the oil pump gear.

The OPG was a known issue with the 2015-2016 Coyotes and there are quite a few threads on here discussing that failure point. Quite a few aftermarket OPG’s are available now which are far better than stock. This is usually a good and best initial upgrade for anyone using the 5.0 S550 for extensive track use whether it’s N/A or forced induction.

OP keep us updated on your findings.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I notice that right when you were passing the start/finish line on the front straight, you lost oil pressure completely, then went through turn 1. I've driven Gingerman before, and know that people were having issues with oil starvation on the off-camber turn 2, as well as the turn 7/8 combo.

Did you puke oil from any other (engine) orifice? If not, with fact that oil came up through the intake, I'd echo valvetrain, but also probably OPG failure. Sounds like you're in for a fun teardown to see what damage there was.

JR

OP
OP
tevaburns

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I notice that right when you were passing the start/finish line on the front straight, you lost oil pressure completely, then went through turn 1. I've driven Gingerman before, and know that people were having issues with oil starvation on the off-camber turn 2, as well as the turn 7/8 combo.

Did you puke oil from any other (engine) orifice? If not, with fact that oil came up through the intake, I'd echo valvetrain, but also probably OPG failure. Sounds like you're in for a fun teardown to see what damage there was.

JR
I was having a BLAST too.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
at 9:10 you lost oil pressure (< 20psi) and you kept driving it for another 30 seconds. Should have hit the kill switch immediately and pulled into the grass. Also back in the 4:30 minute timeframe your oil needle was only vertical. Mine always goes to 80psi at any decent throttle opening and RPM. Your oil pump wasn't generating near enough pressure from 4:30 onward.

I'll have to pay closer attention to my gauges but I don't recall my pressure dropping/fluctuating so much when on the brakes. It stays at 80 for about 5 seconds even with throttle closed. But yours the pressure drops immediately.

What oil were you running and did you check level before you went out for every session?
Sponsored

Last edited: