Sponsored

Brand New S550 Needs new motor at 2,500 Miles

coyotekevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hey guys wanted to share an experience I'm having currently with my brand new 2017 Mustang. I found a steal on a brand new 401a 2017 in Texas, flew out and bought it and drove it 1,500 miles back to California. Since then I've been doing a lot of driving for fun and it now had 2,500 miles on it. On my way to work 2 days ago it stalled on the freeway, i think it went into limp mode. Had it to towed to a Ford dealer I work at and they said it had a broken valve and it needs a new motor. They said everything will be covered under warranty but they said it going to be in service for a long while. I'm pretty bent about this, I already had installed the Corsa Extremes catback and was having so much fun in it. I've got the catless LTH from Corsa sitting in a box in my garage too that I was going to install soon lol but that will have to wait. Just wanted to share my experience, will have more updates soon hopefully.
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately shit happens with mass produced parts.

That's an unusual break for these engines, hopefully they will be able to get it back to you quickly.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Well you got really lucky with it happen now instead of after you threw on the longtubes. If it came later you would have likely been SOL and paying out of pocket for a new engine and the labor to replace the engine.

Sad that it happened regardless, but glad it was before you got out of warranty.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Well you got really lucky with it happen now instead of after you threw on the longtubes. If it came later you would have likely been SOL and paying out of pocket for a new engine and the labor to replace the engine.

Sad that it happened regardless, but glad it was before you got out of warranty.
Highly doubt longtube headers would ever cause that kind of failure. They have to prove it did per the law. Sounds like it was just a faulty engine to begin with.

OP
OP
coyotekevin

coyotekevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

Yup me too, if I already had them on I would've had to tow it back to my house and put the stock headers on lol

Unfortunately shit happens with mass produced parts.

That's an unusual break for these engines, hopefully they will be able to get it back to you quickly.
Figured it was a rare case, I'm guessing its gonna take about a month.

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe

Yep, there's the silver lining in this sad story. They would have voided the warranty so fast it would have made your head spin. They don't need much reason anymore with high performance cars.

OP, it is an unusual occurrence for these engine, but as stated things do happen. I hope you get out of the shop sooner than expected. Good luck

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Highly doubt longtube headers would ever cause that kind of failure. They have to prove it did per the law. Sounds like it was just a faulty engine to begin with.

OP, that exhaust setup is going to be ridiculously loud and raspy, just FYI.
Yes, but it could have been a huge hassle fighting them on it.

Besides, he probably would have put a tune on it TOO when he got the LTH, and then he'd have had a lot more of a fight on his hands.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

Besides, he probably would have put a tune on it TOO when he got the LTH, and then he'd have had a lot more of a fight on his hands.
The tune, yes, they can complain about that part. I've never seen a bolt on cause a single failure. Typically, the tunes are what does it in for the warranty part always. That's an easy out for Ford to not pay.

OP
OP
coyotekevin

coyotekevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

Yup especially here in CA where going catless is illegal lmao, woulda had to return it to stock then take it in.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You guys can say that all you want, but once you modify something like that which basically requires a tune they can say any number of factors related to the tune caused the engine to fail. You will have a lot harder time fighting it in court than they will. Sure you can spend $$$ getting a lawyer to fight the case for you on the tiny chance you win, or acknowledge that what you did could have ruined the motor and spend $.

edit » just realized you said as much in your follow up. All good!

Sponsored

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I thought catless LTH or catless anything was like commiting a murder in Cali.......

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^That doesn't stop people here from doing either.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Out of curiosity, did they say which valve was the issue?

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
wrong, it would be up to you to prove it didn't cause the issue. all on your dime until you won in court.
Sponsored