Sponsored

Car trouble

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I was recently driving my 2015 V6 Mustang Manual transmission and when I put it in gear the engine revved and the RPMs went up but the car did not move at all. When I revved the engine it sounded like a chain spinning, it reminded me of the sound a bike chain makes. I took it out of gear and turned the car off and back on and was able to drive it but the whole cabin felt different and started shaking way more than before. I took it to Ford and they said it would take 3 weeks before they could even diagnose it so I took it to some smaller mechanic shop over here and they couldn’t find anything. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! It’s driveable just doesn’t feel right.
Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to find a "smaller" shop that has actually worked on a car. Sounds to me like a clutch issue.

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
Could be a lot of things; I'm no mechanic, but could the timing chain have jumped? Did the clutch get mangled? Did you check the oil? Do you smell anything funny? Any puddles on the ground?

OP
OP

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
Could be a lot of things; I'm no mechanic, but could the timing chain have jumped? Did the clutch get mangled? Did you check the oil? Do you smell anything funny? Any puddles on the ground?
I’m thinking either something happened with the timing chain, which would explain the shaking cause it would mean the engine isn’t running properly or it’s the clutch, not sure which one though. I think I’m gonna take it to Ford.

OP
OP

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
Yeah I was thinking the timing chain
You might want to find a "smaller" shop that has actually worked on a car. Sounds to me like a clutch issue.
haha yeah, I was kinda shocked that they didn’t find anything. They had it for 4 days but luckily they didn’t charge me cause they didn’t find anything. I’m thinking clutch or timing chain as well, leaning towards timing chain cause I think that would explain the cabin shaking cause maybe the chain isn’t properly lined up anymore? Idk

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Isn't the v6 an interference engine? If the timing chain is off you probably bent valves.
I'd bet it's clutch related.

OP
OP

jszat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual
Isn't the v6 an interference engine? If the timing chain is off you probably bent valves.
I'd bet it's clutch related.
Would the clutch explain the car shaking more violently in the cabin?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No way its timing chain. Clutch is likely coming apart and pieces are rattling in there.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
If you have excessive engine noise like a chain saw, than your chain tensioner could be going bad. If you hear whining then most likely is your clutch

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If it was an engine issue, you'd hear it even in neutral, and it'd be obvious where the noise is coming from with the hood open.

Besides that, you need to be more specific. You said when you put tranny in gear, the revs go up and car didn't move. What were you doing with the clutch at that time??? If car moved later on, sounds like you didn't have 1st gear engaged all the way. When a clutch starts to let go, you first experience slip. With other clutch issues, they wouldn't be intermittent, and you could hear the racket below the car. It should be relatively easy to find out if it's the engine or tranny causing your issues. As far as revs going up with clutch pedal in, that also happens to my Bullitt, but it's only like about 250 rpm, so if it was more than that, it'd be a different issue. Take the car to a mechanic who knows what he's doing :). Good luck.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Most likely clutch component failure.

Don’t keep driving it in the condition it’s in though, you’re only causing more damages, which could result in more $$$ for repairs.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking either something happened with the timing chain, which would explain the shaking cause it would mean the engine isn’t running properly or it’s the clutch, not sure which one though. I think I’m gonna take it to Ford.

Both of those would be pretty consistent, if it is the timing you heard, now noise is gone but runs poorly. That is a real possibility, the OBC may have adjusted timing, trying to compensate for what ever the noise was.

If it were the clutch and the disk came apart, that noise most likely, coupled with some severe slipping would not have cleared. But my point of reference is a single disk clutch, not destroyed a dual disk .................... yet LOL

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If it just slipped a tooth on the timing belt it would possibly run rough and the electronics would probably try to compensate. But I'd think that would pop a CEL code. It also doesn't fit the first thing the OP described of putting it in gear and just spinning. That screams clutch or throw out. I'm not familiar with the V6 or the clutch set up to site specifics but it wouldn't take much out of place in the clutch to cause some pretty significant vibrations in the cabin. Something like a broken spring could cause everything described.
Sponsored