Sponsored

Motor strength

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Do the proper break-in, don't do clutch drops, don't hold throttle at the limiter. After that, do what you want.
Sponsored

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
Its crazy to me to read articles how painstakingly ford stress tests their cars, then re-tests over and over to such extremes then you read threads about them leaving 2 quarts of fluid out of the drivetrain...

And - they know all about the bbq tick, just curious why haven't they been able to fix it ? Oh ya, its normal :)

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Its crazy to me to read articles how painstakingly ford stress tests their cars, then re-tests over and over to such extremes then you read threads about them leaving 2 quarts of fluid out of the drivetrain...

And - they know all about the bbq tick, just curious why haven't they been able to fix it ? Oh ya, its normal :)
Maybe you should call them up and tell them how to run their company. Tell them there's no excuse to have a single issue with their car model that's been sold every year since 1965, first to be sold globally, sold more than all the other American sports cars combined, more hp per litre and cheaper adjusting for inflation than it was in 1965. I eagerly await your innovation so I can purchase this masterpiece of engineering.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
No problem buying used. I have purchased 6 used Mustangs in the last 10 years. Never a problem with any of them. One of the nicest ones I bought had 80K miles on it. Mint, I mean mint. Another, 72K miles. Drove them both 10K+ miles, mild mods and sold them for more than I paid for them. Be very patient and look all over the country. It truly is a blast to search them out.
I make sure they are one owner and that the maintenance is recorded on carfax. When you see the maintenance done at the dealership you can usually guess the previous owner was not a car person. No mods of any kind.
I recently bought an '18 loaded with 29K miles. It was literally nicer than the Bullitt I bought new the previous year. I mean flawless. Waxed, expensive add on such as Mustang labeled weathertech type mats in the car and trunk. I got it at a Subaru dealer where it was traded in an Outback as the previous owner was being moved to a cold climate. Dealership put brand new tires on it. Not a chip. 5 of my used Mustangs were like this. I know with miles that and no "lemon" or accidents, etc. that it might be better than new where who knows the bugs?

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited

We are all reading this stuff, but it is very, very, very uncommon. There are outliers. Even airplanes crash. Stuff happens. But, then on a forum like this you will hear the worst stuff because us victims want to share what happened. Normal, but problems with these cars are very rare. Most of the problems are caused by consumers modding. Even then they take a heck of a lot of abuse and keep going.

Sponsored

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
Do these cars keep a record, like a "black box" in the computer system that would record , say, high speeds, high rpms, etc.? My friend is in law enforcement and he says a lot of info can be pulled from a car if something really serious happens, or it is stolen. Thoughts?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Blame the dealer. Cause that's what the PDI is for.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

That's probably because it's the engineers heading up and performing the engine stress tests. Engineers are generally not known for taking shortcuts.

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
If you want to make it easier/safer to buy used (and a bit more expensive accordingly), go with a Ford CPO car with good history. Good value.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I like all the guys that cry about every little noise in their "sports car". "It's not as quiet as my Prius, I think I hear a little squeak when I first start it", etc. Jesus Fing Christmas, when did gearheads become such a bunch of pussies? I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in all kinds of vehicles and conditions. Almost none were without a sound here and there. I grew up driving piles of junk and they always got me to my destination getting beat on etc. Keep oil in it, keep water in it, keep clean fuel in it. Keep a good battery. Every car I did this for got me no less than 150k miles. The S550 is no different. If you want a Tesla, get one and then be driven crazy by every little squeak and creak you never heard before because of engine noise.
When I started driving, cars sounded like they were gonna come apart at 65 mph which was 10 mph over any max speed limit in the country. Air whistling through the door, window seal or floorboards. Exhaust leaks puttering, rubber bushings squeaking, gravel banging into the wheel well every now and then, dash panels shaking apart, change rattling in a metal ash tray. Don't overpay for the car, drive the shit outta it and maintain it. Don't worry about all this bullshit with ticks and what not. Like dating a super hot, big breasted blonde and complaining she smacks when she chews or makes hums to herself sometimes.
Agreed! I do not think it was the gearheads. It was a bunch of “pussies” to begin with that tried out a mustang for the first time that were the whiners. Lol.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
When you build an engine it is a whole bunch of parts built to certain tolerances, then assembled together. If you have a tolerance stackup you can get something too loose or tight in the end. Hopefully, this gets accounted for at the engineering stage so that things work properly. But you have multiple vendors selling you pieces that all have to work together. Problems can stem all the way from the raw material supplier that provides the aluminum to the company that makes the part that The OE buys from them. I work at a company that sells parts to the OEM. They are very particular about quality. Problem is, sometimes their design gets compromised for the purpose of economy. We aren’t driving $150k cars.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Here's the article I was referring to: http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts/m5lp-1003-2011-ford-mustang-gt-50-coyote-engine/
Pretty awesome.

"We observed some of this internal combustion water-boarding, and for anyone with a foot-pound of mechanical sympathy it isn't pretty. Engines run fatigue cycles equivalent to 62 Daytona 500 races. Others replicate customer drive cycles for 1,000 running hours to include 1,000 cold starts, plus hitting its peak torque and power for sustained periods. That test alone runs 100 hours a week for two and a half months.

We witnessed another torture session where the engine was run at WOT for several minutes, the headers glowing just a hint of red, then the engine shut off and after several seconds of sitting, -20 degree ice water was forced through the cooling system. Frost formed on the test rig as the engine was about frozen to death, then the ice water stopped, the engine started and after a handful of seconds idling was taken back to max rpm, max load for another heat cycle up to 225 degrees. Each complete cycle takes about 10 minutes, and the engine must survive days of these non-stop thermal shocks.

Most incredibly, "It can't be on its last legs at the end of the test," says Mike. "It can't be that it hasn't seized yet, we need to see crosshatching on the cylinders, no full-face ring wear, leak down needs to be below, oh, eight percent; it has to be very, very functional and could go do it again, quite frankly."
Very good article! I love the way they drilled down into every aspect.
Sponsored