MMR OPG's

BoundaryPump

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
I just re watched you video and i don't see that any of the clearances are too small or have you changed your criteria.
Its fine, the OD can range from .002 to .007 without any difference in pumping performance. They do get loud if the OD clearence gets too big, but it doesn't hurt anything. The gear basically sets its own clearance when under torque. It will crush that clearance down to bearing load size and seal the high pressure side.

Its all down to manufacturer preference. At that point. We generally run .004 to .005.
Sponsored

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
Its fine, the OD can range from .002 to .007 without any difference in pumping performance. They do get loud if the OD clearence gets too big, but it doesn't hurt anything. The gear basically sets its own clearance when under torque. It will crush that clearance down to bearing load size and seal the high pressure side.

Its all down to manufacturer preference. At that point. We generally run .004 to .005.
Keeping within fords tolerances is all i ask for and i didnt get that so hopefully this thread helps someone before they install their gears. Dont be like me and assume something .

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
can you mic your crank snout please?
Do you have something to compare it too. Just curious since it is -21 here in my shop right now . When i checked clearances of my OPGS they had just came from the delivery truck and i have since checked them again at room temp and there was .0015 difference.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you can wait till it's only 0F... What I'm trying to get at is what is the fit from crank to inner gear ID. I'm curious what kind of tolerances Ford is holding on the crank.

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
you can wait till it's only 0F... What I'm trying to get at is what is the fit from crank to inner gear ID. I'm curious what kind of tolerances Ford is holding on the crank.
Yeah worth comparing for sure. The TSS and the Ford gear are both .008 i just didnt include the pic of the TSS gear as i didnt think anyone else cared. It wont be Zero for another weeks lol but i will measure it and post it here in a bit.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
my measurement is 1.545 what do you have.
I don't know, my car isn't apart. What's the ID of the TSS gear?
It would stand to reason that if the crank is ground to precise tolerance for bearings and such they could have done the same for the part of the snout that holds this gear. Pullies, we don't care about, those are press-fit anyway. Is the key integral to the shaft or separate?

I wonder if there is merit to using shaff-locking loctite on the gear journal.

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
I don't know, my car isn't apart. What's the ID of the TSS gear?
It would stand to reason that if the crank is ground to precise tolerance for bearings and such they could have done the same for the part of the snout that holds this gear. Pullies, we don't care about, those are press-fit anyway. Is the key integral to the shaft or separate?

I wonder if there is merit to using shaff-locking loctite on the gear journal.
Well since i dont have a snap gauge i cant be truly accurate using a vernier caliper . I did spend some time with it came with .001 or what my feeler gauge reading was. But you said you wanted to see what the consistency of the crank is so you need to compare mine to another production crank. With that said the gear needs to float to some extent since it is driving the larger outer gear which is fixed in the housing. The pump housing is bolted to the block and the large gear is confined to the housing ,the center gear is the drive gear and needs some wiggle room. The TSS gears have some sort of coating on the the internal surfaces that looks much different than what ford and MMR have on them.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The TSS gears have some sort of coating on the the internal surfaces that looks much different than what ford and MMR have on them.
a scratch test on the load faces might be interesting.

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
a scratch test on the load faces might be interesting.
Yeah thats not happening, 600 cad for opg's they fucking well better be good. Glad im not paying someone else to do the job im already out 450 cad. plus labour

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
So far Im understanding that TSS is gtg and waiting delivery on FP's opg?

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
So far Im understanding that TSS is gtg and waiting delivery on FP's opg?
Only waiting for my crank gear from FPP. I am completely satisfied with TSS thus far and the the finish is of good quality compared to what MMR sent me You really have to hold them in your hand to see how much better the TSS gears are. See the image of MMR. I have decided to not hardness test since i dont want anyone blaming that for any kind of failure.

20191224_150407 (Small).jpg

20210319_161652.jpg

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Thanks. Really good info.
Sponsored