MMR OPG's

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
This is a message for all you guys who upgraded and i use the word lightly to billet opg's. On my 3k mile oil change after upgrading my OPG's i cut my filter open and found flakes of metal. I immediately tore down the front of my engine and discovered that the metal had come from my oil pump. After pondering for a few days i determined that rockwell C50 to C55 was the desired hardness. I took my OPG's to our machinist and had my gears tested , they are C26 which is a huge difference from C50. This is just a suggestion that you do due diligence and cut your filter open from time to time, its free and engines are not.
20210315_100134 (Small).jpg
20210315_103100 (Small).jpg
Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
So the MMR OPG's or factory OPG's were at the lower hardness rate? Just clarifying.

Curious to see what hardness ratings other gear manufacturers show.

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
So the MMR OPG's or factory OPG's were at the lower hardness rate? Just clarifying.

Curious to see what hardness ratings other gear manufacturers show.
MMR's were tested, i have tss coming and a new ford oil pump which i will get tested as well.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
MMR's were tested, i have tss coming and a new ford oil pump which i will get tested as well.
I've ran MMR gears for 32k miles now. I cant say I've noticed metal shavings when performing oil changes, but I'll continue to closely monitor. I will most definitely check mine when I'm back in and will make a move based on what I find.

Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
I've ran MMR gears for 32k miles now. I cant say I've noticed metal shavings when performing oil changes, but I'll continue to closely monitor. I will most definitely check mine when I'm back in and will make a move based on what I find.

Thanks for the heads up.
I had a good chat with another vendor and i now have a better understanding of what is going on . I found the shavings in the oil filter which you have to cut open. The oil goes straight from the pump to the filter thankfully.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good info and discussion.

Is that the front or back side of the gearset? I thought MMR had stampings into the larger gear identifying it as theirs? MMR also has a lifetime guarantee on those, so if they are deteriorating as you say, wouldn’t it be good to have MMR look them over?

How was the set of gears pictured tested; is there a spec sheet from the shop to show the data?

Will you be testing the stock set, the TSS and the Ford composition for when you have the time?

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
Good info and discussion.

Is that the front or back side of the gearset? I thought MMR had stampings into the larger gear identifying it as theirs? MMR also has a lifetime guarantee on those, so if they are deteriorating as you say, wouldn’t it be good to have MMR look them over?

How was the set of gears pictured tested; is there a spec sheet from the shop to show the data?

Will you be testing the stock set, the TSS and the Ford for when you have the time?
I am going to use TSS though i have found out someone else they have them made by someone else. I have a stock new pump that i will use the case from and measure all the clearances. The crank gear is coming from ford. If you saw how Gavin was dealt with i cant be bothered calling them. Just take it on the chin. Also the gears were tested by a local machinist and the results marked right on the gear.

Here ya go bruh

20210315_150414 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
OP, It would be best to show that its an MMR gear with photos. We can see that they punched the corners for testing and clearly labeled it with a marker, but we can't see that its an MMR gear set. You obviously don't have to do anything, but it's just to help others see what's happening is factual with photos for proof.

I'm curious to see what MMR does for you and if they honor their warranty. Even if you don't plan to run another one of their sets, It would nice get it warrantied and test the new set they give you.

Here's a picture a new set of MMR gears before installation..

thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
OP, It would be best to show that its an MMR gear with photos. We can see that they punched the corners for testing and clearly labeled it with a marker, but we can't see that its an MMR gear set. You obviously don't have to do anything, but it's just to help others see what's happening is factual with photos for proof.

I'm curious to see what MMR does for you and if they honor their warranty. Even if you don't plan to run another one of their sets, It would nice get it warrantied and test the new set they give you.

Here's a picture a new set of MMR gears before installation..

thumbnail.jpg
Gee thank for calling me a liar.

Sponsored

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
It almost looks like you got a set pre-heat treat. Not sure how that happens if your QC is worth anything.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
laser marking (etching) can easily abrade off.
Also where did you buy? You might have a store that is sending out counterfeit goods intentionally or otherwise.

On 2nd look yours look counterfeit. The angle on the 'r' is off and the mark is not properly centered.
I don't know what typical wire-EDM tolerances are...

If they're using the common 0.01" wire the kerf can be as high as 0.013 so it looks to me the CNC operator probably didn't set the offset right or whomever made it doesn't know what they are doing in the first place. Or they're stacking tolerances.

Last edited:
OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
laser marking (etching) can easily abrade off.
Also where did you buy? You might have a store that is sending out counterfeit goods intentionally or otherwise.

On 2nd look yours look counterfeit. The angle on the 'r' is off and the mark is not properly centered.
I don't know what typical wire-EDM tolerances are...
Nope, straight from MMR on a christmas package sale. Still have original email.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
You can faintly see the MMR logo in his pic.

Inked20210315_150414 (Small)_LI.jpg
Sponsored