Methanol vs E85

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Anybody with built mustangs, did you end up going with methanol injection or go e85 and why? I have a built shortblock and the nx2 with the stock fuel system and am wondering which route I should go.? I know that methanol will help with cleaning the engine valves but what difference in power would I be looking at? With all supporting mods to run them to max capacity, how different would they be?
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
The biggest drawback to methanol I see is this: The only way to make power on it is to run the timing up enough to need it. Do you trust a 3rd party piggyback system to operate reliably enough to always support your motor? Once the methanol becomes a significant part of the fueling strategy and your octane a crap out will leave you lean and detonating very quickly.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Can’t speak on this personally, nor do I know much about it. But from reading the forums a lot most people do not recommend methanol, and highly suggest e85 over it.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
methanol injection and running straight methanol are two different things.

Straight methanol is for people that like to party and have deep pockets because that stuff is pricey.

2JZ LOL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2021 MKV Supra
I would not recommend running m1 without a whole separate fuel system for pi

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
All of the fuel should be supplied by the factory pcm through injectors it controls.

The problem with alternative fuel entry points is that the factory pcm has the ability to cut fuel to cylinders and there is no overriding it. There are approximately 20 different reasons for it to do so. Most of the time, it would be fine, but in the rare occasion that one of those 20 reasons pops up, then the pcm cuts the injector off and you wind up in an extreme lean condition because the pcm doesn’t control the methanol.

I think the tune, with some creative thinking, could be made to pull a large amount of spark timing if lambda goes lean, but I don’t think most tuners would set it up that far outside of the norm.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I think the tune, with some creative thinking, could be made to pull a large amount of spark timing if lambda goes lean, but I don’t think most tuners would set it up that far outside of the norm.
Have you ever ran a system like this or are you speculating?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Have you ever ran a system like this or are you speculating?
I set mine up to pull timing if it goes leaner than commanded power-enrichment lambda. I’m not running alternate fuel entry points, but I do have a close friend who set his ecoboost up to pull a lot of timing if methanol fails.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I don't think this is a unique approach.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I don't think this is a unique approach.
Pulling timing at leaner a/f isn’t, but pulling enough to handle a methanol failure isn’t often incorporated. In fact, many “aftermarket” supercharger tunes actually zero out the lambda correction table for some reason.
Sponsored