Not open for further replies.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
I'm glad I didn't pay a huge premium for one. I wonder how the values will be after the official numbers are released.
I like the idea of buy it to drive it, I think Netflix might be a good buy right now, in 20 years what will 300 shares of Netflix be worth as compared to a CFTP with 1500 miles.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I like the idea of buy it to drive it, I think Netflix might be a good buy right now, in 20 years what will 300 shares of Netflix be worth as compared to a CFTP with 1500 miles.
I mean seriously.... people plopped some serious extra coin thinking this was going to be a HEP R part 2. If Jack is correct, and so far the data supports it, a lot of people got suckered into some kind of illusion that is going to be quite the disappointment.

When I say serious coin, I am referring to anything paid over a normal ADM for that model in that market. Many paid a lot more with the impression that this was going to be a very limited car and an automatic rare and collectable car.

I'll wait and see what the final numbers bring. But based upon what I read so far, there's going to be a lot of buyers remorse.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My opinion on collectability.
If your fretting over the HE collectability.
In 1994 Pontiac made 2000 special 25th anniversary Trans Ams. Special interior and wheels and decals. These things are very hard to find now and were back in the day too. Try and find one today, they aren't growing on trees, and if you do find one it's not a 6speed manual (128 made). my point being in 5 years 1500 HE Shelbys is not going to be a lot. What did they make like 15,000 total '65-'70 Shelbys? And there are not alot of those around either.
A few thousand is not a lot of cars vs the tens of thousands of regular mustangs they make.
I got my HE, is it collectable? Well it is to me, just like my 6speed 25th TA.
Very true. However, it seems like few folks back in the '60s thought those cars would ever be worth anything and most were driven into the ground, hence the scarcity (and values) today. The vibe these days for many buying the new "collectibles" is to keep them in the garage, which means most of them will be readily available down the road in perfect condition. Will it affect values down the road? My crystal ball hasn't been the best, but I'd say the HEs will be collectible, but the weirdo oddballs will probably be more so and bring the most.

Many things are collectible, but it doesn't mean guaranteed future value. Your TA is definitely collectible and likely valuable relative to what you paid for it originally....

this, times eleventy…look at all the gt350 yahoos that claim “one of 23” not because of the color, but the options.

***caveat being I don’t know the HE options when ordering…if there were NONE, then yes it a screwup.
It'll be interesting to see how actual production numbers will shake out on the S550 GT500s. If I had to guess, I would doubt that there would be too many truly rare cars in terms of numbers simply because the available options were so few on the model.

For shits and grins, I ran a Marti report on my lowly '15 GT because I figured it might be a relatively unique car due to how I optioned it, that is sparsely and specific. Turns out it's 1 of 1 as optioned, 1 of 69 as far as the aspects I cared about. I laughed about it, and still do. But a friend that works for the local collector car emporium that moves 50-60 cars a month thinks I should take it more seriously than I do. Is it collectible? Probably, to the right guy. Is it going to be valuable? Probably not in my lifetime. We'll see, I guess.

Collectible, valuable, or not - drive the damn things. Life is too short, folks.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think Netflix might be a good buy right now, in 20 years what will 300 shares of Netflix be worth as compared to a CFTP with 1500 miles.
sarcasm?
Shares of Netflix in 20 will be zero. They are bankrupt-walking.

Unfortunately the CFTP will also be worth zero because only museums will buy them for display purposes in the "sins of previous generation" exhibit. That's assuming ownership doesn't bring with it criminal conviction for crimes against the planet and humanity generally.

/joking (I hope, about the car)

LR272

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 CFTP HE; 2020 GT350R HE; 1987 LX 5.0
I’ve noticed people who have a lot of money tend to be more frugal than those who don’t. I’ve met a few rich mofos at various exotic car shows around my area and I swear they dress like they shop at Walmart and don’t tip servers for crap lol. I’m sure there’s plenty of exceptions but people who have money didn’t get there by wasting it.
There is an awful lot of accusation and hate surrounding the "1 of 225" reference on the Mecum car. In reality, none of us really knows for sure if the multiple bidders who bid this car up to $200K even placed any emphasis on the erroneous Mecum spec sheet. One given that we do know is that it took at least two bidders to get to this price level. What information they relied on to support their bids we simply don't know.

I am suspect about the idea that the "1 of 225" reference had any bearing on the bids based in part on what Evolvd stated, "people who have money didn’t get there by wasting it" and/or making large dollar purchase mistakes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
There is an awful lot of accusation and hate surrounding the "1 of 225" reference on the Mecum car. In reality, none of us really knows for sure if the multiple bidders who bid this car up to $200K even placed any emphasis on the erroneous Mecum spec sheet. One given that we do know is that it took at least two bidders to get to this price level. What information they relied on to support their bids we simply don't know.

I am suspect about the idea that the "1 of 225" reference had any bearing on the bids based in part on what Evolvd stated, "people who have money didn’t get there by wasting it" and/or making large dollar purchase mistakes.
Accusation and hate are not good descriptors in this instance. It is fact that the "1 of 225" was presented to the bidding audience. I believe that the bidders most likely thought they were bidding on a limited edition car that was destined to be rare and special. Based upon the factual numbers put out so far, that is probably not going to happen. Heck, in terms of rarity, my car (and many others) will be much more rare than a HEP for whatever that's worth (which to me is nothing).

Jack was pointing out fact that I believe should be emphasized. If people are acting on false information based on hype, then there should be recourse. If Joe Brett Blow on M6G says HEPs will be Uber rare and only 1 of 225, that doesn't mean anything. If Mecum puts that information out there, it better be correct because people use any and all information available to make a decision. Mecum has a name and a reputation to uphold, so I highly doubt that the mistake was intentional.

Anyone who bought one of these HEPs at a reasonable price, (and I know of several on here), good for you. In the end you all have to be happy with your purchase. However for the folks who paid way over based on this illusion of rarity, my condolences.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Sure they do. They just get lucky, like doubling down in every losing hand. Or they started with a fortune and are steadily losing it. Or they bought because it tickled their fancy.

Therr are plenty of rich people who are incredibly stupid in the general sense but smart in some narrow niche.

Look at musk. He is rich because in no small part there are millions of people stupid enough to buy into the premise and more importantly govt power to impose costs on unwilling and innocent citizens to transfer massive wealth from the people to a favored individual.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Sure they do. They just get lucky, like doubling down in every losing hand. Or they started with a fortune and are steadily losing it. Or they bought because it tickled their fancy.

Therr are plenty of rich people who are incredibly stupid in the general sense but smart in some narrow niche.

Look at musk. He is rich because in no small part there are millions of people stupid enough to buy into the premise and more importantly govt power to impose costs on unwilling and innocent citizens to transfer massive wealth from the people to a favored individual.
Yikes !!! Trolling perhaps

LR272

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 CFTP HE; 2020 GT350R HE; 1987 LX 5.0

You do know that this is a GT500 thread right?

Sponsored

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Not so rare, so it seems. Isn't rarity one of the requisites of collectibility?

I like the idea of HE cars, but not so crazy about the false sense of rarity, especially over something as little as paint.
Not at all. If it was a prerequisite then my 1 of 96 2009 V6 Appearance Package Mustangs would have been worth more than a Pony Package Mustang. Was it? No. An Acapulco Blue 67 GT500 isn't worth any more than a Nightmist Blue 67 GT500. It's desirability that's the requisite for collectibility. The HE is a desirable car. That's what is going to make it collectible even when Ford turns around and says that they made 1300 or 1400 of them. They're still going to be worth more than a non HE base model.

If in fact Mecum marketed the CFTP HE as 1 of 225 that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. As far as the HE goes I love the color and the whole idea. Any fantasies on my part as to its collectability
are gone with the theoretical production numbers being thrown around. When I ordered my HE I had this idea in my head FORD was limiting the numbers of Base and CFTP HE cars.
I don't know if Mecum had to verify the sellers claims.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Not at all. If it was a prerequisite then my 1 of 96 2009 V6 Appearance Package Mustangs would have been worth more than a Pony Package Mustang. Was it? No. An Acapulco Blue 67 GT500 isn't worth any more than a Nightmist Blue 67 GT500. It's desirability that's the requisite for collectibility. The HE is a desirable car. That's what is going to make it collectible even when Ford turns around and says that they made 1300 or 1400 of them. They're still going to be worth more than a non HE base model.

I don't know if Mecum had to verify the sellers claims.
1-225 was probably Mecum

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Based upon its false sense of rarity. It was supposed to be a limited edition? Ha!
I’m happy with my HE, I love the color and the stripes. I just assumed it would have limited production, that’s what I get for assuming. As all you GT500 owners already know what makes them special is the mechanical aspect, the engine is a beast.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.