Manual cruise control question

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
Let’s say I have the cruise control set at a speed and I shift gears. Can that damage the car since your shifting while the gas is still on or does the car have a failsafe to prevent this?
Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
When you press the clutch the throttle goes to 0%. The rpm should drop.

Reactions: JF

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Works fine, just changes the rpm when you settle down to cruise.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
When the pcm see the shift , clutch input , the speed control should kick out . Unless you have like some sort of super power and can beat t b e power of the pcm .

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
When the pcm see the shift , clutch input , the speed control should kick out . Unless you have like some sort of super power and can beat t b e power of the pcm .
This.^^^^
In every manual car I've ever had that has had CC depressing the clutch disengages the cruise and you have to engage when you're done shifting.

Sponsored

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
On the newer stangs, the clutch doesn't disengage the cruise.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
In every manual car I've ever had that has had CC, depressing the clutch disengages the cruise
Not on this one:devil:. Ford removed the freaking cruise switch, to save a few more pennies. I noticed that when replacing the crappy yellowish brake/clutch rubber pads with black Toyota ones (where the switch was still had a rubber pad). Anyway, remember somebody vaguely saying rpm shot up when disengaging the clutch, and the PCM cut off cruise (probably due to reduced speed) shortly thereafter. I'm not going to try it, but if one of you braver souls want to, it'd be nice to confirm that. Ha ha.

Bottom line is you'd still have to re-engage cruise anyway, so better cancel it before attempting a gear change.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
On my '19 GT, depressing the clutch disengages the cruise, shift, then let out clutch and cruise re-engages right back up to whatever it was set for.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Same on my 17, and if you bump the parking brake lever so the light comes on, it will also disengage the CC

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
One thing is for sure: There's NO top-of-travel clutch sensor anymore, so curious how the ECU 'knows' what's going on. Next time somebody does that, I'm sure the engine needs to at least raise some in rpm, before the ECU knows what's going on. Or maybe it's the sudden deceleration that gets detected. I'm still not going to ever shift with CC engaged (I hardly ever use c/c anyway), but let's see what others say when they try it paying attention to every detail :).

Sponsored

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
On my 2015 GT, it would disengage the cruise. On my 2019 Bullitt, cruise stays engaged

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
On the 17 and 18 cars I've had the cruise turns off when the clutch peddle is pressed, not so on my 19, it just disengages the throttle until you let back out on the clutch and you are right back to cruise control.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
If you bump the shifter into N without using the clutch the CC will shut off. The RPM will bump a bit before the PCM realizes input doesn't match output, but it won't "shoot up".

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What happens if you just depress the clutch pedal while in C/C (but not fully, so the start clutch switch doesn't trip), but don't touch the shift lever? I bet the rpm would shoot up more, until either the speed differential or ECM cuts off C/C. But it makes sense that the gear indicator plays an important role after the cruise switch was eliminated.
Sponsored