Sponsored

Major Hail Damage

John Houseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
1969 Cougar Convertible, 2000 F-250, 2013 F-150, 2020 F-150 PREVIOUSLY Owned 1982 Mustaang GT, 1986 Mustang GT, 2005 Mustang V-6, 2005 Mustang GT, 2005 Mustang GT Convertible, 2008 Shelby GT500,
I was caught in one of our infamous TX hail storms the other night. The paint is cracked in many places. As such, it means a total paint job, along with reapplication of the striping and fender badges. The question in my mind is do I have the body shop leave the striping and fender badges off the car after all the hail damage is repaired ? Opinions ?
Have the body shop order them, but leave them off. You'll have them to put on later if you want too.
Hope this doesn't delay your Whipple.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Put them in the trunk .......

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Have the body shop order them, but leave them off. You'll have them to put on later if you want too.
Hope this doesn't delay your Whipple.
Still waiting on Zack. I've offered to bring mine back up as a test mule.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; This may not apply to your car. Years ago I was in Indiana and got hail damage to my car. Golf ball and larger hail. The smaller hail stones had frozen into larger one. Dents on every metal surface. I managed to throw some rugs on the glass so did not have any broken glass. I was pretty beat up with large bruises. Had a sturdy hat on so my head was OK.
Went to the insurance and they talked me into trying a paint-less dent repair service. I tried it with the understanding I could have it repaired and painted if it did not look good.
The guy used a variety of metal rods with different ends to pop out the dents. Turned out very good. I could not tell where the dents had been. That was maybe 13 years ago and the paint is still good.
You mention the paint cracked on your car. Mine did not. it was just dents. I guess such a repair would not help actually damaged paint. Might be good to get the panels straight.

The only small down side was that he had to use the rods and brace them against inside structure as fulcrum points. In the trunk under the lid there are some tell tale places where he worked the rods.

I do not know what to say about the vinyl stripes. I looked at a GT350 a few years ago in solid white. I liked it. My favorite had been the white with blue stripes before. It had the stance and maybe just appealed because it was different.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
100% covered by insurance. As I plan on keeping it for some time, I may leave the stripes off after it's repainted. Paintless dent repair is not an option, the damage is that bad. A lot of vehicles and homes had major damage in the area. Really wish my ex wife would stay off her damn broom after drinking .................. :rockon:
Did you take any pics you can post up? Did the front and rear windshields get damaged too?

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Did you take any pics you can post up? Did the front and rear windshields get damaged too?
Glass is ok. FJG does not photograph very good. It is hard to see the extent of the damage.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I'd leave the vinyl and fender badges off, but keep the badge on the rear decklid panel if it was mine

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
My vote is to leave the vinyl off. I love the look of the shelby mustangs with the stripe delete. I haven't seen a mach 1 yet in person but I think it would look nice without the vinyl and badging. I owned a 1965 Mustang fastback for 20 years - When I was about 25 I got white vinyl shelby stripes on the car - after about two years I regretted it and wanted the clean look again with no stripes. Had a shop pull some off on the lower valance and it pulled up some of the paint so I decided to leave the stripes on the rest of the car
90405.jpeg
- long story I know but that is why my vote is to leave them off...

Sponsored
OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Monday when the shop opens, I will start asking questions. They had all day Friday to go over it. I stayed away on purpose.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I'd go stripeless as well. But I certainly wouldn't order them as you're getting the car fixed - I'd be anxious the adhesive wouldn't be in as good of working order if you hung onto it and installed at a later date.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
They can’t apply your vinyl til paints done and cured

ask to see the car before vinyls installed. Straight up change your mind on the spot, or let them continue as planned

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I would leave the lines off. That's the one thing that I dislike about the mach are the rocker / hood decals. They take away from the overall look of the car vs add to it imo.

I'd even remove the side fender mach 1 logos for some black 5.0 emblems.

Make it clean! But it's your car so ultimately it's your choice.

People that know cars will know it's a mach by the front grille alone, if your worried about debadging it too much. if they don't then they dont really care what it is, it's just a mustang to them .
Sponsored