Magneride Retrofit

uberranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ranger
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang
Hello all! This is my first post, as I've only had my car a couple weeks.

I've seen this type of thread a handful of times, though never with any definitive answer. I would like to add magneride to my 2019, and need some more information. I'll detail below what I know so far, and would love for others to chime in however they think might help.

Parts that I believe need to be sourced
  • 2 X front dampers
  • 2 X rear dampers
  • (springs)
  • VDM (trunk mount controller)
  • height sensors (unsure of number, 2 or 4)
  • (possibly) wiring harness for SCM to BCM, depends on year
  • (possibly) wiring harnesses between dampers, sensors, and VDM (4X sensor-->VDM, 4X VDM-->damper)
  • (possibly) BCM*
  • GT350 style hubs (unsure if front, rear, or both)
* the dealer I called said they could get the parts for me, and that the BCM has a different part number because the Magneride-equipped cars have a BCM with an extra port for the SCM. This seems suspect.

The dealer said that they can program the BCM to my car, which is expected. What I'm doubting is that a new BCM is needed- that makes no sense to me as a layperson from a parts sourcing standpoint. I still need to inspect my trunk to see if I have the harness. It started raining on me last time I went out to pull the liner. All that said- if it turns out that the wiring is present and a new BCM isn't needed, as I suspect, then it would follow that the dealer could simply enable the module in the BCM. To add to that, I am not currently aware of anyone who's figured this out in Forscan yet.

What I could use some help with:
  • part number of the above parts (most important is the BCM at the moment) of a Magneride-equipped GT (not GT350)
  • same, but for a GT350. I'd like to know if the parts are interchangeable. Seems that there are more GT350 takeoff parts available
As a final thought: if anyone knows for sure whether reprogramming the BCM to enable Magneride is possible in Forscan or might know where to look, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for having me!

Note: I am editing this first post with what I learn from the fine people here :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You will also need harness to the dampers themselves and ride height sensors....

I can get you springs P/Ns (they're in my basement) and dampers, height sensors P/Ns (will have car on the lift) tomorrow...

Btw - not sure what SCM stands for but manual calls it VDM (Vehicle Dynamics Module).

See attached pic. You also need to calibrate VDM for the ride height after installation..
Annotation 2020-04-25 202726.png

OP
OP

uberranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ranger
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang
Thanks!

I've seen both acronyms tossed around, but I'll use VDM in the future if that's the official term.

As far as parts- I listed dampers and sensors up there. Am I misunderstanding? So one would need dampers, springs, sensors, VDM, and possibly wiring and BCM. Is that everything?

After installation, you then go to a dealer (assuming forscan doesn't pan out) and have them enable it (if using original BCM) or program BCM to the car (if getting a new one, assuming they'd do that on install if you bought from them) and calibrate the VDM.

After that, we're off to the races? Metaphorically and literally, I hope.

OP
OP

uberranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ranger
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang
Just re-read your reply and I think I did misunderstand. There's an additional harness from the sensors and dampers to the VDM, correct?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thanks!

I've seen both acronyms tossed around, but I'll use VDM in the future if that's the official term.

As far as parts- I listed dampers and sensors up there. Am I misunderstanding? So one would need dampers, springs, sensors, VDM, and possibly wiring and BCM. Is that everything?

After installation, you then go to a dealer (assuming forscan doesn't pan out) and have them enable it (if using original BCM) or program BCM to the car (if getting a new one, assuming they'd do that on install if you bought from them) and calibrate the VDM.

After that, we're off to the races? Metaphorically and literally, I hope.
I honestly don't know if that's all it takes - my car came with Magnaride so I am not sure what's required to retrofit it - logically thinking that's all that required. You will need for sure need harnesses for dampers and height sensors unless you have them (very easy to check) - rewiring the car for this seems to be most of the work here - don't know if I would do it.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Just re-read your reply and I think I did misunderstand. There's an additional harness from the sensors and dampers to the VDM, correct?
Absolutely - yes. Otherwise how would they receive / send signals to VDM ?

(I unplugged them physically while doing springs, so yes, they do exist :) )

OP
OP

uberranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ranger
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang
It makes sense when you...ya know...use your brain :idea:

So I'll need to take a peak under the car tomorrow for the sensor-damper harnesses. Whereabouts might I find them? I'll also take another stab at removing the trunk liner. I seem to remember the clips being rather stubborn.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Afaik the front spindles (or some parts in the front suspension) are different, the standard parts were breaking with the Magneride.

Reactions: kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It makes sense when you...ya know...use your brain :idea:

So I'll need to take a peak under the car tomorrow for the sensor-damper harnesses. Whereabouts might I find them? I'll also take another stab at removing the trunk liner. I seem to remember the clips being rather stubborn.
So this is lousy pic but it's the one I have - this is front left strut with brake / rotor out of the way - harness shown is I believe the one that goes to the damper. Damper has integral wire that comes out from the bottom and connect to the harness using connector on the pic.

20191221_120413.jpg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Afaik the front spindles (or some parts in the front suspension) are different, the standard parts were breaking with the Magneride.
Good call ! Yes - forgot about it - it has GT350 (style) hubs / spindles that are mounted using 4 bolts rather than center 36mm nut. They also have longer studs.

OP - See attached pics from the time I took the hubs out to replace the studs for long ARP ones. Has that discouraged your from doing that yet ? ;-)

You may want to look at what DSC offers - they have their own controller replacement but also (from what I understand) their own dampers. Costly unfortunately.
IMG_20200229_164111.jpg
IMG_20200229_164115.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

uberranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ranger
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang
Discouraged, perhaps. Completely put off? Not yet! :p

I appreciate the info. I'll edit the original post if I can to include these details.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely - yes. Otherwise how would they receive / send signals to VDM ?
An enterprising soul would figure out a CAN->Bluetooth->CAN transceiver and dispense with the long-run wires.

CarbonzillaUS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
Discouraged, perhaps. Completely put off? Not yet! :p

I appreciate the info. I'll edit the original post if I can to include these details.
Any updates? I am wanting to do this to the frog as well. Thanks for getting into this, I have asked a few as well as the dealer, but receive groans as a response lol. Any and all info is appreciated.

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
Curious, do you have a list of the part numbers for these parts. I will slowly try to gather all of them and maybe attempt this later on
Thanks
Sponsored