Sponsored

RYGO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
I was wondering the same. Seems like a lot of the wiring or connectors are present in my 2020. I saw a lot of the parts mentioned for sale(used).

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Here's something I just learned recently. Magneride damper forces vary significantly based on the car. I've only seen dyno curves of the Shelby GT 350 & 3530R, but they are massively different and it's a matter of the damper, not the controller. I'm guessing there is just as much difference between a 350 or GT or Eco. If you're putting these on your car, you need to be aware that there are differences.

terion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volodymyr
Vehicle(s)
GT PP MT 2016 (restyled)
For not messing up with wheel hubs an other stuff, optional GT magneride struts can be used.
jr3c-18b060-ub for front (last two letters can vary as far as I understand) and kr3c-18w003-ta for rear.
also controller part number - kr3c-18b066-aa
also magneride-equipped gt comes with jr3c-5k651-aa rear control arms, but it seems to be just regular arm. just mentioned

But I don't know, are they all the same on performance pack level 2. I bet that shock are the same, but controller can differ (because of different tuning)

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The different arms likely have the machining to accept suspension travel sensors. This could be done easily on std. arms.

Sponsored

RYGO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Hello all! This is my first post, as I've only had my car a couple weeks.

I've seen this type of thread a handful of times, though never with any definitive answer. I would like to add magneride to my 2019, and need some more information. I'll detail below what I know so far, and would love for others to chime in however they think might help.

Parts that I believe need to be sourced
  • 2 X front dampers
  • 2 X rear dampers
  • (springs)
  • VDM (trunk mount controller)
  • height sensors (unsure of number, 2 or 4)
  • (possibly) wiring harness for SCM to BCM, depends on year
  • (possibly) wiring harnesses between dampers, sensors, and VDM (4X sensor-->VDM, 4X VDM-->damper)
  • (possibly) BCM*
  • GT350 style hubs (unsure if front, rear, or both)
* the dealer I called said they could get the parts for me, and that the BCM has a different part number because the Magneride-equipped cars have a BCM with an extra port for the SCM. This seems suspect.

The dealer said that they can program the BCM to my car, which is expected. What I'm doubting is that a new BCM is needed- that makes no sense to me as a layperson from a parts sourcing standpoint. I still need to inspect my trunk to see if I have the harness. It started raining on me last time I went out to pull the liner. All that said- if it turns out that the wiring is present and a new BCM isn't needed, as I suspect, then it would follow that the dealer could simply enable the module in the BCM. To add to that, I am not currently aware of anyone who's figured this out in Forscan yet.

What I could use some help with:
  • part number of the above parts (most important is the BCM at the moment) of a Magneride-equipped GT (not GT350)
  • same, but for a GT350. I'd like to know if the parts are interchangeable. Seems that there are more GT350 takeoff parts available
As a final thought: if anyone knows for sure whether reprogramming the BCM to enable Magneride is possible in Forscan or might know where to look, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for having me!

Note: I am editing this first post with what I learn from the fine people here :)
Finally, the thread Ive been looking for!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
For not messing up with wheel hubs an other stuff, optional GT magneride struts can be used.
jr3c-18b060-ub for front (last two letters can vary as far as I understand) and kr3c-18w003-ta for rear.
also controller part number - kr3c-18b066-aa
also magneride-equipped gt comes with jr3c-5k651-aa rear control arms, but it seems to be just regular arm. just mentioned

But I don't know, are they all the same on performance pack level 2. I bet that shock are the same, but controller can differ (because of different tuning)
Control arms are different. VDM hardware is the same but the calibration is likely different.
I have car currently up with wheels (and some other parts off) so can take pic of rear control arm if someone is that curious...

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Rear control arm ride height sensor and wiring coming off rear shock.

PXL_20201229_222635477.jpg

PXL_20201229_222647075.jpg

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Control arms are different. VDM hardware is the same but the calibration is likely different.
I have car currently up with wheels (and some other parts off) so can take pic of rear control arm if someone is that curious...
The rear springs of Mag cars are wound opposite of each other where as the standard rear springs are identical. I bet the spring seat of the Mag cars are a little different. Do you really need those arms to put the Mag dampers on the car? I'd argue the gain in minimal, but it probably exists.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
The rear springs of Mag cars are wound opposite of each other where as the standard rear springs are identical. I bet the spring seat of the Mag cars are a little different. Do you really need those arms to put the Mag dampers on the car? I'd argue the gain in minimal, but it probably exists.
I'd say more of the question is whether regular arm has that threaded hole & pad to bolt the bottom part of the ride height sensor to - as I showed on the pic above.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I'd say more of the question is whether regular arm has that threaded hole & pad to bolt the bottom part of the ride height sensor to - as I showed on the pic above.
Ya, but like I wrote earlier, that would be a relatively easy bit of fab work. It's literally drill 2 holes & tap 1. If you've got the dimensions of where to place the holes, it's not a difficult job (Compared with the rest of it).

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Ya, but like I wrote earlier, that would be a relatively easy bit of fab work. It's literally drill 2 holes & tap 1. If you've got the dimensions of where to place the holes, it's not a difficult job (Compared with the rest of it).
Agreed, just something tells me our upgraders here think it's just plugging a bunch of existing cables (which I'm not convinced exist on non MR cars and bolting shocks on.

Also I'm not sure how flat the surface of the arm is and if that pad to bolt sensor on (which seems to be milled on otherwise as-cast surface) exists on non MR arms. Not that critical probably but still.
Anyway, good luck to whoever tries it. I personally don't think it's worth the work involved but that's none of my business.

terion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volodymyr
Vehicle(s)
GT PP MT 2016 (restyled)
The more info can be achieved the better) thank you)
So control arms also need to be sourced or fabed.
Struts with springs, height sensors, vdm, rear arms, bcm with magneride support, wiring.
Probably Gauge cluster in case of 2015-2017 to support suspension modes?
That seems to be complete list? Could you provide part numbers of sensors, vdm and bcm?

Also about worth the effort: you are not so impressed of it’s operation? I’m currently trying to decide the route: magneride or some active coilovers (not many to choose from in fact, tein seems to be the only viable option)

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Also about worth the effort: you are not so impressed of it’s operation? I’m currently trying to decide the route: magneride or some active coilovers (not many to choose from in fact, tein seems to be the only viable option)
Or just go with regular mid end coilovers and call it a day ? Most track guys are changing the MagRide for coilovers anyway so it's not great option for the track.
Sponsored