Sponsored

Magneride Retrofit

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
The more info can be achieved the better) thank you)
So control arms also need to be sourced or fabed.
Struts with springs, height sensors, vdm, rear arms, bcm with magneride support, wiring.
Probably Gauge cluster in case of 2015-2017 to support suspension modes?
That seems to be complete list? Could you provide part numbers of sensors, vdm and bcm?

Also about worth the effort: you are not so impressed of it’s operation? I’m currently trying to decide the route: magneride or some active coilovers (not many to choose from in fact, tein seems to be the only viable option)
On 15-17 i wouldn't attempt it at all since who knows what else they will need.
Magneride works great - i just think amount of work required to retrofit it is not worth the final outcome. Especially the programming piece for the car modules will be difficult. I think most people trying to retrofit it are thinking plug and play which which this very much isn't going to be. At that point - for me - it would be off the table.

Front control arms need a sensor bolted to the them too btw.
I can look up P/Ns when I'm working on it later today - if i don't forget.
Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
For the '18+ cars, at least the MR was an option outside of the GT350 so there's a chance the base wiring is in place. I think if you shopped around you could source all of the hardware for less than $1K, but the wiring is the main hurdle to make the project feasible unless you're really into chasing those circuits. There is a huge amount of communication that goes to the VDM from other parts of the car, and I have no idea how much of that infrastructure might be present on a base vs. premium car for example. I know that all MR cars required a minimum of the 101A or 301A packages, so that's probably a starting point.

My interest in the controllers is to see if it is possible or beneficial to swap a different VDM into my '18 EBPP+MR as I upgrade the suspension. I installed GT350R springs in my car a couple days ago, and so far the stock '18 EB/GT VDM is doing a great job. I need to drive a lot more to see if something ugly pops up, but it has been cold and wet so not ideal for playing. The take-home here is that whatever system you source is going to be pretty capable. There are also tunable options out there if you really want to get into things.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
My interest in the controllers is to see if it is possible or beneficial to swap a different VDM into my '18 EBPP+MR as I upgrade the suspension.
Why wouldn't you get a DSC Controller then (Tee Lew will probably be happy to sell you one ;-) ) ?

Not only you take the guessing work out of the calibration, you can make your own adjustments. DSC also can - from what I have heard - use full damping capability of the MR shocks unlike Ford OEM controllers. I will get one, once I finish other upgrades, especially fucking (excuse my language) knuckle to toe bearing...

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Why wouldn't you get a DSC Controller then (Tee Lew will probably be happy to sell you one ;-) ) ?

Not only you take the guessing work out of the calibration, you can make your own adjustments. DSC also can - from what I have heard - use full damping capability of the MR shocks unlike Ford OEM controllers. I will get one, once I finish other upgrades, especially fucking (excuse my language) knuckle to toe bearing...
It's on my list as well, and I've been talking with TeeLew about just that. However, it's a pretty steep step up, plus a learning curve. I need to pace myself on steep steps with learning curves as I only have so much money and time to spare... I've got an old car project that needs an EFI upgrade and the cost is about the same. Used VDM's are out there for $100 or less, and plugging in a GT350 unit would be awesome - if it actually worked and made things better.

So far, it doesn't seem like that's going to be necessary. Hopefully the AutoX season will be a reality next year and I'll get a chance to push it hard enough to see what's really going on.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
The different arms likely have the machining to accept suspension travel sensors. This could be done easily on std. arms.
It also appears shock mounting is different on MR arms - the "foot" of the shock goes underneath on MR cars and goes on top of the arm on on MR ones.

I have both arms completely out of the car right now. Shocks and knuckles are off too....

So if anyone wants any detailed pics or P/Ns, now would be a good time...

terion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volodymyr
Vehicle(s)
GT PP MT 2016 (restyled)
So if anyone wants any detailed pics or P/Ns, now would be a good time...
Of course we want, entire thread is about this) Did you take photos?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Of course we want, entire thread is about this) Did you take photos?
Sorry - car has been back together for about a week now. I am going to have it up though adjusting rear camber, changing brake rotors and taking preload of both sway bars so if there something specific you're interested in - let me know. Determining if someone with non-MR car has wiring for it should be extremely easy. Post a pic of an upper side of rear wheel well and I will tell you.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Here's pretty clear view of wiring going to rear left Magneride shock - you should the wire on the left side of the connector if you have non-MR car and think wiring is there.

PXL_20210202_012121934.jpg

MrAnderson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Is there a final verdict on this retrofit? Very interested in having it done on my 2020. Thanks

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Is there a final verdict on this retrofit? Very interested in having it done on my 2020. Thanks
I'd say that lack of any follow up should tell you what the final verdict is. I suspect non-MR cars have no wiring in place (no responses ever since I posted a pic above).

cholmes1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting idea. Curious to know how many parts were purchased or if this was all done in the hypothetical?

The MR systems are not actually that complicated, and standalone systems being possible today it seems like more aftermarket options will be coming to market

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Interesting idea. Curious to know how many parts were purchased or if this was all done in the hypothetical?

The MR systems are not actually that complicated, and standalone systems being possible today it seems like more aftermarket options will be coming to market
DSC, the company that sells the aftermarket controller, has a relationship with Tractive dampers from Holland. They appear very nice (I've never used them), but they're fairly expensive at ~$10k/set. If you're not really optimizing them, I think that would be a tough expense to justify compared to a nice set of passive dampers from JRi, Penske or Ohlins.

cholmes1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Vehicle Showcase
Agree. At that price point it would be worth the hassle to adjust ride height and firmness at each application site

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
I’m curious still. I bought the BCM to put in my 16 back in the day. Had all the wiring from the 350 drawn out. I’m looking at getting a 2020 but having a hard time finding the options I want.
Sponsored