Sponsored

Mach 1 Handling Package Tramlining?

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Driving the cup 2s around the Midwest all the way to California, I felt the tires had a very interesting response to the road.

At the end of the day, I believe my var was tramlining all the way through. Driving on the local roads now as well- I feel the same.

Does anyone know if this tramlining is a feature or a bug in these handling package cars? I am gonna get rid of my Cup2s soon and move to Pilot S4S and then take it to Ford for alignment but that’s a few weeks/months from now.
Sponsored

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Tramlining seems to come with the Cup2's. Sticky and very little grooving. I find it absolutely terrifying driving on I-90 here east of Seattle. If I let go of the wheel with both hands, the car wants to follow the ruts in the road.
On normal city streets it is OK....but driving where the road has been beat up by years of heavy traffic you can definitely feel it.
I have a full set of Cooper Zeon's on order.....hopefully they will be installed next week and I will report back on those. They fit the HP cars.....305's are max width, but that isn't much difference from the 315's in back.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
That's what Cup2s do. they're great for track but not so much for street driving.

If you read some of the information they tried really hard to mitigate tramlining issues by steering tuning and GT500 I-shaft.

rcsracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP #1859
Check the front end alignment. I bet you'll find it's toe-out (front of tire from each other than rear of front tire). Factory specs are a bit of toe-in up front.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Check the front end alignment. I bet you'll find it's toe-out (front of tire from each other than rear of front tire). Factory specs are a bit of toe-in up front.
Excellent point. I will get an alignment after the Zeon's are installed and have driven it a bit...and report back. This should solve the tramlining problem. And I am sure that there are other tire solutions besides the Zeon's, like the Michelin 4S's that I have read about on other strings....I just wanted an all-season solution since I am in the very top-left corner of the US and we do get some rain & cold. (I am not being paid by the Cooper folks, honest!).

Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Yep, just nuts Cup2's are standard on HP. Should be HP-Track option. Buying different tires will solve it.

On the Track, Cup2's are nice.

Last edited:

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Can the tramlining issue be resolved with a good alignment and a Steeda G Brace?
Without changing the Cup 2 tyres.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
I have 5k miles on my replacement ps4s, 305 front and 325 rears, it got rid of all tramlining and drives much better on the street than the cups 2s
This.

The Cup 2s are super sticky and super sticky tramlines off the track. Great tire for the track, but PS4s are imho the best for street.

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Can the tramlining issue be resolved with a good alignment and a Steeda G Brace?
Steeda says it can be.
Depending on the road, the Cup 2's can be bad, but man do they hang onto the road.
I watched a youtube (of course everything is rue there :crackup: ) and a guy ran the same car on a track, both dry and wet, using the SC2's and the PS4's. The time difference between the tires in the dry conditions was very small in favor of the SC2's, and pretty significant in favor of the PS4's. I'll see if I can find it and post it.
I really like the SC2's, but they've probably only got 8,000 miles left at most before they will need to be replaced. I think I'll try the PS4's then. I can live with the tramlining until then.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Why keep clinging to cup2? You can't get them hot enough to do what they are intended to do. Junk them for correct street use tires. Just buy another set of hp wheels for a grand and put more sensible shoes on.

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Steeda says it can be.
Depending on the road, the Cup 2's can be bad, but man do they hang onto the road.
I watched a youtube (of course everything is rue there :crackup: ) and a guy ran the same car on a track, both dry and wet, using the SC2's and the PS4's. The time difference between the tires in the dry conditions was very small in favor of the SC2's, and pretty significant in favor of the PS4's. I'll see if I can find it and post it.
I really like the SC2's, but they've probably only got 8,000 miles left at most before they will need to be replaced. I think I'll try the PS4's then. I can live with the tramlining until then.

Why keep clinging to cup2? You can't get them hot enough to do what they are intended to do. Junk them for correct street use tires. Just buy another set of hp wheels for a grand and put more sensible shoes on.
Different circumstances to most.
I have the purchased the HP wheels and will be installing them on the non HP Mach 1.
In AU we are required to run 105Y load rated rear tyres, also need to run 35 series tyres to keep the tyre height close to the standard 40 series 275 rear tyres.

For the HP rims there's, not a lot of choice in 105Y/35 series tyres.
SC2's are available and the 305/35/19 tyre is a very close match to the current rear 275/40/19 tyre diameter.

So SC2's are the only 105Y/35 series tyre that will work on the rear, for the front ill run 295/35/19 SC2's that also meet the 100Y load rating requirement.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Do they really write you a defective equipment ticket over a clearly stupid load rating value?

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey

Here's another

Doesn't talk about tramlining, but you get an idea about performance.
Sponsored